A quicky

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
It was last Sunday morning over coffee at the world famous Mark Twain Dinette (known to be frequented by Alton Brown of the Food Channel), in Hannibal, Missouri. I was whining over the fact it was almost mid-May and I had yet to make a tour. Actually, I had canceled 2 tours for this month already, and I was impatient for a weekend ride coming up next week in southern MO., the Hooterville 400.

So one of my buddies says he is going to Lexington, KY in the morning on his FJR and be back on Thursday-- why not come along? Too far, too many days. I'd be worn out for the H400. Can I have another cup of coffee?

Flash forward to Sunday night. I'm sitting there reading one of the latest motorcycle mags and sipping a scotch and it hits me. A bright idea; not the scotch. Why not just go along for an overnight, and come right back the next day. No job to do this week and I just mowed the grass yesterday.

I call Bob at 9pm and tell him when I will be by his house. Now I've got about 2 hours to find all my junk, i.e. camping gear, motorcycle touring gear, and important junk. I haven't camped out for about 10 years. You can probably see where I'm headed here: the 6 P's of life. I don't even have a full gas tank, or cash.

Monday morning rolls around and we head out of town with a plan to take the back roads from Hannibal "America's Hometown" to Giant City State Park, near Carbondale, IL. We make it to the Missouri River after stopping at Dutzow, where I visit the Blumenhoff Winery and pick up a couple of bottles to keep the wife happy. If I'm lucky she will share, and if I'm really lucky she will have more than a glass and maybe I'll get really lucky. We cross the river at Washington on MO 47 and hit our favorite BBQ place--

IMG_3700.jpg

only to find it is closed on Mondays. Remember that 6 P thing. So we go down to the riverfront and find a pretty good place.

IMG_2302.jpg

We ride on down to Bonne Terre on MO47, but aren't making too good of time due to the road being blocked while the power companies set new poles and run new electrical cables. Probably still fixing the damage caused by this spring's severe ice storms. Bob figures we are making about 36mph on average, what with me stopping for a tarp (forgot a ground cloth for the tent) and important emergency food supplies like Slim Jims and Little Debbies Fudge Brownies for midnight in tent snacks.

Up 'till now riding has not been that great, and it is up to about 82 degrees. We head out of BT on Rt. K and Rt. C to Sainte Genevive and have some great roads with nice views. This is more like it. Then we take US 61 and some back roads to where we cross the Mississippi River into Chester, IL.

IMG_3703.jpg

Which I am sure you all know is the hometown of the famous cartoon character: Popeye the Sailorman

IMG_3702.jpg

Popeye and his dad.

We grab some ice cream at the Dairy Queen and head for Carbondale, IL and then south to Giant City SP.

We arrive at 5pm after 8 hours of riding. We share a camp site for $15. This park has a super lodge and restaurant, cabins, etc. It was built by the CCC back in the 1930's.

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

We had New York Strip steaks for dinner at the lodge and they were superb-- there is also Buffalo steak on the menu, and every night is fried chicken and all the fixin's. I intend to see how good my Lipitor hold up to a real test. They also serve alcohol, and I had 2 Sam Adams just to make sure it was up to standard. And help the Lipitor flush everything out.

We hit the sack about 9pm after a short ride thru the park and then showers. They have excellent clean showers with good hot water.

Memo: bring a towel and wash cloth next time. I did have soap. Tip from Bob: use one of those synthetic chamois.

I notice a Whiporwill has started calling. Loudly and without pause. Did you know a Whiporwill can call from 9pm to 5:15am without a break? They can. I checked it.

Memo: keep spare ear plugs in tent. Tip from Bob: Save that big empty plastic bottle of Gotoraid you drank in Bonne Terre and take it into the tent with you. Saves you from having to get dressed and walk in the rain/snow/cold to the restrooms for that 3am piss call. Goood tip, Bob.

Anyway, the deranged cookoo, commonly known as a Whiporwill goes off duty at 5:15am and the other birds take over. We're up at 6 and breaking camp.

IMG_3719.jpg

I head out and get a few photos of the park I couldn't get last night.

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

There are many more larger and interesting rocks, cliffs, caves and springs to see. I didn't get any more pic's because we were ready to head south to Anna for breakfast. We found a little Mom&Pop place that served a great breakfast with country cured ham and good coffee. I can see why they have been in business since 1931. The locals checked out our rides and were friendly talking to us over coffee. Nice town.

Bob and I parted company with him heading east to Kentucky and me heading west to the west coast of Illinois and eventually the east coast of Missouri. I made it about 3 blocks before I had to stop and grab a few shots of the city's public library. Fantastic building for something built in 1914 and still being used in a town as small as Anna. All the windows were stained glass and the stone work was amazing. The town people must really be proud.

IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

From there I went north to Alto Pass to see Bald Knob:

IMG_3734.jpg

This giant cross was built by a woman in memory of her husband and sets on one of the highest points around. You can see 360 degrees and, I'm told 4 states.

IMG_3736.jpg

It has a great winding narrow road up to it past vineyards and orchards. There are several wineries in the area, and the roads are all good riding.

IMG_3742.jpg

I rode back south on Il 127 to 146 then west to Il 3, where I stopped at a garden supply at the junction and bought some water plants for my water garden. Local places won't have them for another couple weeks, so I thought I'd get a jump. Then it was north on 3 for some real nice scenery and roads, back to Chester, where I cross back into Missouri and found gas the cheapest yet--$2.84.

North from Chester took me to Ellis Grove where I went west to Modoc to catch a ferry across the Mississippi to St. Genevive.

IMG_3743.jpg

$5 for a motorcycle. I was the only one to board. Then the deck hand said we'd be just a minute and hopped the barrier to run back up the ramp and grab a big stick. The ferry Captain said there was a snake up on the landing near where I had just been parked. I watched as the guy beat the crap out of the snake, which looked like a black snake to me and not a cottonmouth. I asked the Captain if the guy was pissed because his father had beat him with a snake when he was a kid. No reason given. Evidently this is a common form of entertainment in the area.

I snapped a couple of shots in St. G., which has a nice historic district and B&B's, antiques, etc.

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

Temps were back in the 80's and I was ready to head north on US61 to St. Louis and beat the rush hour on I270 and I64. Made it through with no problems and took Rt. K at O'Fallon to I70 then north on Mo.79. Mo. 79 is pretty boring until you get to Clarksville. I did find a new place to get a hamburger and shake in Ellsberry.

IMG_3747.jpg

Cadillac Bill's-- they try to make their hamburgers like Steak&Shake, the old fashion way. Tasted very similar. Only opened last week, and I hope they make a go of it. Food was good and the place had an "A" sign on the door issued by the county health department. I haven't seen an "A" sign since I lived in the Far East.

On north on 79 I stopped at Clarksville at the lock and dam. After 9/11 all the locks were closed to the public. I think this is one of the few where you can get this close to the tows and locks. Nice restrooms below the viewing deck. The locks up river at Saverton, Quincy and Canton are closed to the public.

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

I continued north to Louisiana which has a reviving historic district. Clarksville, Louisiana and Hannibal are along "50 Miles of Art" and have had several artisans settle in these towns. There are stores in each of the towns selling their works, many nationally known. Who knows-- maybe we'll become the Santa Fe or Taos of the midwest.

I zipped west of Louisiana on a lettered black top to the town of Stark with both of its buildings. The house is being remodeled and restored.

IMG_3751.jpg

I understand this house belonged to one of the Starks who made fame and fortune in the mail order nursery business. You've probably received a catalog for trees, bushes and plants from the Stark Brothers' Nursery. It is still in business in Louisiana. This photo doesn't do it justice-- the house is huge with a large yard. Could be a corporate retreat if they wanted.

Several of the roads west of Mo 79 to US 61 are designated Scenic Byways. It was getting late and time to finish the ride. That meant the fun twisty part of Mo 79 from Louisiana to Hannibal. This part of the ride is like southern Missouri or northern Arkansas for a few miles with tight curves, big sweepers, and long flat stretches. Good practice for the Hooterville 400.

One stop at Lover's Leap over Hannibal on Mo 79 for a photo and then home.

IMG_3753.jpg

Ahhh, home sweet home....

IMG_3754.jpg

Ah, man :angry2: the grass needs mowing again!!!

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report Skip!

I would like to do a "smell the roses" ride through MO someday, But that aint this weekend! :yahoo:

Super report, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Your report read better than most of the motorcycle magazine 'trip reports'. (Do you write for a living; maybe send this one in and make a few bucks.) :thumbsupsmiley:

Good one Skip! Nice pics. Sounds like a great little excursion.

Good job there Skip. You mentioned MO 47 being so slow because of utility work. Is this the MO 47 between the interstate and Bonne Terre? I was thinking of getting to Smitty's that way, but won't if there's utility work going on...

Mark, it was on Mo 47 between Rt.A & H north of the junction with Mo 21. You might consider taking A east to De Soto and V south to 67 into B.T.

If not, it was only a hold up of about 30 minutes at the 2 blockages.

B)

Super report, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Your report read better than most of the motorcycle magazine 'trip reports'. (Do you write for a living; maybe send this one in and make a few bucks.) :thumbsupsmiley:
The only writing I do that pays anything, is the bad checks I sign. :glare:

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Skip, nice report!

Wish I'd know you were coming through. I get out to Washington, MO quite frequently. I often run out there just for lunch on a nice day.

Next time post up so I'll know you're coming through. It"ll give me an excuse to get out.

See you this weekend!

Great report. Looks like one enjoyable ride. See you tomorrow or Saturday.

Chester

Latest posts