Tahoe loop and 7 FJR's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairlaner

The Bartender Whisperer
Reaction score
Tahoe Loop Ride report. May 11th 2007

The Route

tahoeloop.jpg

Wow what a day, 430 miles of fun roads, I would say that this was like 400 miles of live Oak Canyon in Orange County (Barry knows what I mean).

The day started at Starbucks in Carson City where I meet RenoJohn (John)at 7.30. We had coffee and waited for the others to arrive.

John T (John) was the first of the others to arrive on his Silver 06 (that was missing a clutch lever) he told us that he had seen and given directions to RsvlFeej (Patrick) but had not arrived at that time. A few minutes later Patrick and UberKul (Brad) rolled into the parking lot.

A good start everyone there before 8am.

P1010985.jpg

We left the Starbucks right around 8am and headed out of Carson City on highway 50. We left the 50 and headed to Virginia City on the 341, this is where the pace picked up. The 341 turns into the 342 in Silver City and then back into 341 half way down Main Street in Virginia City (duh). This was a good start to the day.

We crossed the 395 and took the 431 (Mount Rose highway) up to Kings Beach. Lake Tahoe was spectacular in the morning sunshine.

We left lake Tahoe and headed north on highway 267 to Truckee where we picked up Highway 89.

We made out first real stop at a little country store/gas station somewhere on 89 (not sure where) where Patrick took the opportunity to eat AGAIN.

P1010988.jpg

After refreshments we got back on 89 and headed up to the 49 which we took west. The run along 49 took us thru the little towns of Bassetts, Sierra City, Loganville, it was very scenic and twisty it seemed to follow the river all the way to Downieville. Here we crossed a one lane bridge and waited for John T to arrive (which didn’t take more than a few minutes).

P1010990.jpg

P1010992.jpg

P1010993.jpg

P1010995.jpg

P1010997.jpg

P1010999.jpg

From Downieville we continued our ride beside the river (what river was it guys) heading for Nevada City. 2-3 miles before we got to Nevada City Patrick had a very close call with an Owl, So close that there will be one less owl to keep you awake at night. While we were all stopped looking at the owl shit down the side of Patrick’s bike what should roll up but 2 more FJR’s, Boy did they time it right.

And now there were 7.

Fairlaner, Renojohn, RsvlFeej, UberKul, John T, FJrobert, and Rocknfjr

From Here we let Robert lead as he was a local and we needed some lunch. He took on a nice little detour (174 I think) which dropped us onto the 80 where there had to have been about 10 CHP cruisers and a bike.

Lunch was at a good burger place in Auburn.

P1020001.jpg

P1020002.jpg

After some much needed food John T decided to take 80 home and it was Patrick’s turn to show us some roads and did he ever. Probably the best road of the day was 193. Patrick sure knows that road I did stay with him for most of the road until I hit some gravel and lost sight of him then it was all over. It really helps to have someone in view that knows the road.

After 193 it was back on the 49 and heading for Jackson Gary turned off somewhere along here and headed home which left 5.

We stopped for a smoke (John and I ) somewhere close to Jackson where it was decided that Patrick and Brad enjoyed 193 so much they would go and do it again, Robert went home so that he could get home before his wife discovered he had been riding ( hope she don’t read the forum Robert).

P1020004.jpg

P1020005.jpg

P1020007.jpg

P1020008.jpg

That left John and I. We decided that we would take Ebbets Pass (highway 4) home instead of 88.

We stopped for gas in Angels Camp at 5.45 and then headed for the pass. I would like to say that I enjoyed crossing that pass but if I did I would be lying. The road was fantastic until you got to the part that has just been opened, it is very narrow and twisty and covered with sand and gravel all the way to the to 8750 summit.

Continued on next post as I posted too many pictures on this one, I have to wait for someone to post before i can add the rest.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JB now I can post the rest.

Part 2

We stopped several times to take pictures we also stopped at the summit and decided to have a play in the snow.

P1020010.jpg

P1020011.jpg

I think we need a caption for this one.

P1020013.jpg

P1020014.jpg

P1020016.jpg

P1020019.jpg

P1020023.jpg

P1020024.jpg

P1020029.jpg

P1020031.jpg

P1020036.jpg

P1020040.jpg

P1020042.jpg

P1020044.jpg

P1020047.jpg

P1020058.jpg

P1020060.jpg

The ride down proved to be as dangerous as the ride up with lots severe corners and lots of slippery stuff all over the roads, fortunately there was very little traffic to contend with although I did see a blue FJR heading in the opposite direction. Who were you?

It took us 2 hours to make it from Angels Camp to our final stop of the day in Markleeville (77 miles). We stopped for a smoke and a drink and ran in to guy from Norway on a bright red VFR.

I arrived home at 8.15 after 430 miles of fun roads and 13 hours on the bike. Maybe my Bill Mayer saddle is finally broken in.

That’s all for now folks what did I forget??

Richard

Before I post some pics, I have to comment on this quote :)

I would like to say that I enjoyed crossing that pass but if I did I would be lying. The road was fantastic until you got to the part that has just been opened, it is very narrow and twisty and covered with sand and gravel all the way to the to 8750 summit
LOLWell, such is life in the Sierras. I think I'm going to start referring to fairlaner as FAIRWEATHER ...some sand is the price you pay for some of the best riding to be had ....

We hit this the 2nd day it was open and make no mistake ..it was sandy and slick. But it was beautiful. In a few days it will be better, but come Memorial day it'll be infested with motorhomes, squids and the like ...and they won't see the beauty that we did. It was an exceptionaly beautiful day on Ebetts, not fast riding at the top, but beautiful and full of fun adventure. Every ride book lists hwy 4 as a don't miss when in the Sierras ...and we saw it like few do.

...even Mr. Fairweather was laughing as you'll see below. (or is he crying?) LOL

Approaching Lake Tahoe over Spooner Summit

P1010001.JPG

Reno John's rust-bucket overlooking the canyon off of hwy4

P1010012.JPG

Fairweather enjoying the Sierra Landscape (amazing what altitude will do to a flatlander)

P1010018.JPG

Yep, things are finally starting to thaw in the sierras

P1010021.JPG

some of the really cool stuff we saw. It was an amazing day on Ebetts pass

P1010045.JPG

Fairweather telling me this water is COLD (ya no shit) LOL LOL

P1010047.JPG

Fortunately this tree was handy to help support the giggling flatlander (or is he crying?)

P1010049.JPG

At dusk, we were the last customer's at the Markleville store. ...and for me only a couple hours to Reno

P1010051.JPG

thanks for the SPIRITED FUN! I enjoyed meeting the new faces and all.

hope to see some of you in Park City

Gary

I was neither crying or giggling, I was trying to catch my breath.

R

Thats funny.

Hey john are you planning on running for President????

Richard

LOL ...geeze.

"Sorry, I forgot I wasn't riding my V-Strom"-Uwe-
FunnyUwe, you know me, my dirty mind alway looking for adventure and any way off the pavement. You would have enjoyed the ride. Hwy 4 was definately v-strom material

He seems to like that pose. This is from last year's Nevada SS1k.
Hey wanker ...difference is I didn't have to have a bullet-proof jacket on under my mesh riding gear ...unlike when I ride with you. Geeze, what an ugly bastard, thanks for sharing that with the world. Looking forward to our next ride.

Thats funny.Hey john are you planning on running for President????

Richard
I think promising the heavens: If you get us down this mountain alive .....I promise, honest I promise to quit dressing farm animals up in womens' clothing.

From Downieville we continued our ride beside the river (what river was it guys).....
That's the Yuba River. I know you Ellay riders are used to seeing cement-banked rivers.....

It looks and sounds like you guys had a great ride. Hwy 4?!?! One of my favorites and yes, I've ridden it the first weekend it has opened. Its always the same until the "broom" it off during the week before Labor Day--they have to keep it safe for the motorhomes, y'know!

Ebbett's Pass can be dangerous no matter when you ride it. Unmarked closing radius turns, cagers and bikes who violate the center line, weather subject to change without warning (there is a post where we had rain over the pass and it was 100+ degrees by the time we got to Angels Camp.).

Uhm, Richard, it sounds like you enjoyed the roads we ride locally! And yep, 193 is one of the favorites of the Sac Valley riders. I'm glad you all had fun and got home safely.

I got a late start on the ride, I met up with the guys just outside of Nevada City (shortly after the suicidal owl) from there I kinda hijacked the ride and led them on colfax hwy (174) and Placer Hills rd to Auburn, where we had lunch at Ikeda's. I only got to go on a small part of the ride, but it was fun! these guy's are fast! I had to peel off early to try and beat my wife home, I had promised to do yard work. I ended up taking her to her favorite sushi restaurant to make it good, and it only cost me about 80 bucks. oh but I forgot to get her a Mothers day present, so this morning I had to give her Breakfast in bed while my son ran to the store for a card.

Great riding with you gentlemen on some fantastic roads! The traffic gods where smiling on us in the morning which made the a.m. a hoot to the 10th power. There were the usual hair-ball traffic clogs along the way… but lines were found. :not_i:

Patrick, your Autubon Society application is in the mail. REPENT your bird murderous ways my brutha! :rip_1: Mr Owl.

JohnT great meeting you, you will have a handle on that bike in no time. Well it may take a little longer with that missing lever and all.

Gary and Rob, that was uncanny how you two rode up at almost the same time. Good seeing both of you again. Oh wait… that wasn’t Rob we saw, Robs been sticking close to home with rideoverdose.

Edit-Rob confessed and paid the price. :russian_roulette:

A big thanks to Dr. John (RenoJohn) and Dr. Richard (Fairlaner), this ride was just the medicine my soul and shoulder needed! :drinks: