Seneca Rocks West Virginia

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Daly

YES I ran the fatty over!!
Reaction score
UPDATE: this is currently an open ride for anyone who is interestedin hookin up June 9 @ 9:30 am at Senica Rocks WV. plan to spend the day riding at your own pace. As of this update there are 5 confirmed riders, hopin more can join us. Below is the current information posted by Slow ride on the ride and its many options:

Short Route: #1 + #2 + #4

118 + 58 + 144 = 320min 5Hrs 20min

60.3mi.+32.4mi+76.3mi = 169 miles

Long Route: #1 + #3 + #4

118 + 93 + 144 = 355min 5Hrs 55min

60.3mi+49.6mi+76.3mi = 186 miles

#1 Start Seneca Rocks

End Smoke Hole Rd.

Travel 60.3miles (about 1 hour 58 mins) Map here

#2 Start Ketterman

End Brandywine, WV

Travel 32.4 mi (about 58 mins) Map here

#3 Start Ketterman via Sugar Grove WVi

End Brandywine, WV

Travel 49.6 mi (about 1 hour 33 mins) Map here

#4 Start Brandywine, WV

End Moorefield, WV

Travel 76.3 mi (about 2 hours 24 mins) Map here

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow Ride wants to ride!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Count me in PM sent.

I have been on a lot of these roads this spring and can point out some

nice loops for anyone who wants.

PM me with any questions.

Chuck

I'd absolutely love to join in. Commitments for the weekend have me staying close to home or I'd definitely be there. For me, that particular weekend is probably the last that I'll ride over the summer months.

Have fun... & take lots of pictures guys,

Heidi

Hmmmmm....

Let me plot how much VA I have to pass through to get to WVA. I can only do a two-day ride this weekend, so it would have to be a CBA jaunt.

:)

I'm pretty darn slow riding 2-up.

I'd absolutely love to join in. Commitments for the weekend have me staying close to home or I'd definitely be there. For me, that particular weekend is probably the last that I'll ride over the summer months.
Have fun... & take lots of pictures guys,

Heidi
Why is that Heidi??

Hi Mark,

Due to medical issues I'm extremely heat intolerant. Also, planning to put my bike in for tick fix while it's sweltering here in VA. Anything much over 90 degrees is not fun for me. Putting the bike in now will ensure that I'll have it back before EOM.

After all, I'm sure that I'll be doing at least one more route scouting trip w/ Jim Meadows... & especially since our last trip was interrupted by ditch surfing.

Just got off the phone with Chuck. He is setting up a google map based on our discussions; this will be a rough draft and we are looking for input from experts in the field :) . Some sections we plan to work into the ride:

1) Smoke hole end to end

2) SR 33 across the WV/VA border

3) West Side Road (runs noth from 33, starting ~3 miles from the WV/VA border up to Fort seybert): this is an unknown road

4) We might also consider Smith Mountian Road running north of 33 just west of the SR national park.

Some of these are small roads and may not be ideal like smoke hole So i am hoping Jim and/or others will know.

Mark, Still hoping your going to shoot down here for a ride :)

Jeff, No worries about your two up speed, i am happy riding and i dont have to hit warp nine to have a good time. I am sure if you are slow we can all pull off and take a break for a few minutes while you (or anyone for that matter) catches up but i dont see it as a problem at all!! :)

Chuck also mentioned that Keyser WV has cheap hotel accomodations. I may ride out that way unless Jim has a better idea to the south of Senica

Hi Mark,Due to medical issues I'm extremely heat intolerant. Also, planning to put my bike in for tick fix while it's sweltering here in VA. Anything much over 90 degrees is not fun for me. Putting the bike in now will ensure that I'll have it back before EOM.

After all, I'm sure that I'll be doing at least one more route scouting trip w/ Jim Meadows... & especially since our last trip was interrupted by ditch surfing.
Heidi, currently the High temp is predicted to be 85. Thats a solid 5 degrees under your specified fun limit :clapping:

It looks like northern WV is just a bit too far for me to have major joy on a two-day journey. So I'll ask for a raincheck and wait until I can do a three-day weekend or better. Ya'll try not to have too much fun without me.

Ok, rough draft Smoke Hole Rd. does go all the way to Rt.220 with Google

I had to put Ketterman in to continue the route.

Jim the West Side Road up to Fort seybert is an unknown road. With leaving

it out the run is about 200 miles on Google I know this is a shorter run than that,

but I wanted other input and/or thoughts because of everyone having traveltime home.

Rough draft

Let me know what your thoughts are everyone.

Chuck

Kevin,

I'm not available...but thanks for thinking of me. Quite frankly, WV is probably more than a 3day weekend for me and I have my vacations all lined up for the year.

I will see you guys in the fall unless I surprise you sometime.

Have great fun on your ride!

Well I had to try Mark.

Ok so I just PM'd Jim (spklbuk), hoping to get his input since he knows this area well. Since it looks like it will only be the three of us I think we should just not make any hard plans except where and when to meet. that way I can decide if i need to find a room to the north or south of the Senica area. I might also look into renting a tent and bag if camping is more appealing.

Also, probabily the most important thing we haven't considered is food! yes food. Any good stops for chow? dont want to look like this: :bad:

I think we should just not make any hard plans except where and when to meet.
:dribble: Now yer talkin'. Besides, Chuck is the one that really knows the area. I have a working knowledge of this region, but my intimate knowledge lays an hour or 5 to the south. I move we decide where to meet and follow B) Chuck!

I'm still leaning towards camping at this point but remain open to other accomodations.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I'd love to make this ride but our daughter is returning from a 2.5 week "semester" in Italy and this'll be a family weekend. Maledizione and crap! Sounds like a great ride. I was just talking about the good ole days and how I love waking up in the field on a cool morning. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet a poncho would tie up nicely to the FJR to make a fast lean-to. I'm going to head out on the 23d to ride part/all/most of a 2-up route Jim gave me for a 2-up ride at EOM. Would welcome company, but to be honest, I'll be on a quest and need to get home for a farewell party (not mine) that evening. It'll be a long day.

Y'all have a great time this weekend.

Jeff, No worries about your two up speed,
Don't let Jeff fool you. I'm not lightening fast... but I ain't slow, either. I come nowhere close to Jeff when he's leading... even if he's 2-up... unless he wants me in his mirror... which he's getting hauntingly good at. It makes me feel FAST!

Heidi, currently the High temp is predicted to be 85. Thats a solid 5 degrees under your specified fun limit
Thanks for thinking of me Kevin. I even had my friend here in town ask if I wanted to do a trip thsi weekend. I need to stay close to home.

Thanks, maybe next trip... or will definitely meet you in September,

Heidi

Edited to add: Somewhere along the line did WV move Northeast some?

Somewhere along the line did WV move Northeast some?
Well being from Seattle, anything east of the rockies is east coast to me. but i guess we are on the border of southeast and northeast. Actually, come to think of it I actually live on the mason dixon line here in Morgantown so I am neither north or south, i am just east.

Hear I go thinking again :blink:

OK, in the interest of keeping peace within the forum family, I've been good up to now. But actually, Morgantown (sshhh, don't tell them) is actually home to Southern PA University and in the part of WV that PA didn't want. So yep, northeast is appropriate from a more southerly perspective! :D :p

This thread is dying a slow and painful death........