Remote Controlled Am Fm Radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobias

Reaction score
I'm still trying to find a way to mount a radio somewhere on (in?) the FJR. I now have one in the tank bag. Do the remote control versions work? That way I could locate the radio out of sight somewhere.

It would be easier if there was a small radio model but all I can find are radios with built in tape cartridge or CD players.

I've given up on the pocket sized earbud radios. Around here a full sized car antenna is necessary.

dobias <_<

What kind of radio? AM/FM or CB/Ham/etc or XM/Sirus? There's lots of options for any of those. I have a cheapo-AM/FM I use for listening to ball games or sports-radio, for example. Just strapped it on a RAM mount.

As far as remotes go, if it's infrared, that would be a problem.

One idea I have "toyed" with is using a marine unit. If you look around there are some really nice AM/FM CD MArine units in a 1-DIN size (standard car size) that support the use of an additional "wired" remote (NOT infrared).

I figured I could mount the radio somewhere at the back of the bike. Maybe in a trunk. Or redo the passenger seat area into a storage compartment and put it in there. Then the wired remote could be mounted up on the dash somewhere convenient. Being marine units they are designed for use in _very_ harsh/wet environments. And the functionality of these wired remotes is improving all the time. I've seen some that even have a display screen as well as the control buttons.

Haven't actually tried it yet, but I do keep toying with the idea.

- Colin

Given your parameters, you might try a BMW (motorcycle) radio. They have a remote control for volume, station seek, etc. They are typically mounted in the fairing with a lockable access door. They use a standard automotive style antenna plug.

You will probably end up making your own wiring harness. As I remember, the touring models were pre-wired, making it almost a drop-in upgrade.

Try the Marketplace at www.ibmwr.org

OK. from what I'm gathering;

-The IR remotes are a bad thing (even though the BMW article shows it being done).

-The Sony wired remote at Crutchfield's doesn't have any receivers listed to go with it.

-Any IR or wired remote controlled receiver appears to be at least a one DIN size to accomodate the always included CD player.

I have Sirius but after a summer of listening to it, I think I'd prefer an AM FM radio.

In the interest of simplification, I don't want to have both.

Decisions, decisions!

dobias <_<

I mounted one of these under the rear seat & mounted the controller on a stem stand on the left handlebar. They come with an IR remote so if you wanted to you could conceal the channel/volume control, and put the remote wherever. (in the map pocket on your tank bag, velcro to the brake reservoir)clicky

I've had the unit on the bike for about 14K now and no probs at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
thegunslinger,

In reading the specs, I see the remote must be used for the volume control. Everything else can be controlled at the display panel. If I were interested in having a CD changer, it would be a shoe-in. The S-1 version is "only" $200 (plus the CD changer).

If I go with it, I'll have to replace the large Sirius Jenson chassis with the equally large S-1 chassis.

dobias <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Tobias, there is a volume control on the display panel. I seldom use the remote . I run all the functions from the display panel. Only complaint is that the volume function buttons are really small and hard to manipulate with large gloves on. (Icon Goretex raingloves) This is when I do use the remote placed in the map pouch of my tank bag cuz the buttons are bigger for the volume control on the remote.

I thought I had answered this before. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong......

thegunslinger,

Do you have the SS? I called the dealer about the S-1 and was told the remote was the only way to adjust the volume.

dobias <_<