New friends and a great ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Ride

Reaction score
This was a great day for riding and I meet some nice new friends today.

Pic 1 is taken at Secena Rocks,WV my friend Alan Biggs from Romney, WV came and helped, along

with him is Gary (FJR Gary).

SenecaRideAlanandGary.jpg

The second pic is of every one on Smoke Hole Rd.

SenecaRideonSmokeHoleRd.jpg

Third is us stopping for a break on SH Rd. Kevin (Kevin Daly) & Alan Biggs, & Jim (spklbuk).

SenecaRideKevinAlanJim.jpg

Lunch Break was at a little diner on Rt 33 at Brandywine,WV called .......

SenecaRideLunch.jpg

SenecaRideLunch2.jpg

Gary looks to enjoy his lunch

SenecaRideGaryLunch.jpg

Kevin & Jim also,

SenecaRideKevinJimLunch.jpg

A ride North on Rt.259 to Lost River S.P.

SenecaRideRt259.jpg

Our break at Lost River S.P.

SenecaRideLostRiverS.jpg

Lunch we missed......

SenecaRideLunchMissed.jpg

From here we traveled over Howards Lick Rd. to Moorefield, WV where Gary headed East, Jim headed

South, and Kevin, Alan, and I headed West.

I wish to thank Gary, Jim, and Kevin for a most enjoyable day!!!!!!!!!

Chuck

It was a wonderful ride. For me it started a day earlier. Got the hell out of morgantown and made it the first evidence that I was free. THis is a country store between the two incredible mountian passes that lie 20 miles east of Grafton WV and a favorite hangout for bikers of all types (about 50 HDs there on the way home).

DSCN1355.jpg

Behind the store is this really cool water wheel that works and a steam engine meusum; great for small kids.

Then took 50 east to 219 and headed south and checked out these:

DSCN1359.jpg

notice the size of the giant bulldoser under the second windmill: these suckers are huge and you can hear the blades cutting through the air as they spin.

After that I tooled around SR 72 between 219 and 32, a small road like Smoke hole but narrower and and not as good a shape: NOT A RACING ROAD!! but fun!

Next I headed for Spruce knob. Unfortunately I have no pics up there because the last 15 miles of the road is gravel, that and the combined threat of a line of thunderstorms moving through the state made me think twice so I headed back to Elkins WV where i later met up with a soggy Jim from Lewsburg WV. He found the storms.

After Jim Dried out we had a couple beers and some food in our hotel, the Days in in Elkins, which used to be a hospitol. the resturant itself is located in what used to be the morgue (kind of interesting). not a great hotel but definatly a solid and interesting crashpad.

So Jim and I were up with the sun and on the road by around 7ish am. We stopped to put in the ear plugs i forgot and managed to get a shot of Jim:

DSCN1362.jpg

From there we headed into the Canaan valley, WV's largest designated wetland (??), pictures dont do it justice:

DSCN1365.jpg

then up to black water falls where we had to chase the forest rats off the roads (actually I thought a yearling was going to hop on back and 2-up with Jim:

DSCN1367.jpg

and then to Lindy point which I am told by my most excellent tour guide Jim is the most photographed spot in WV:

DSCN1372.jpg

Finally, we met up (about 25 min late) with the rest of the crew at Senica Rocks which yousee here in the background:

DSCN1374.jpg

Left to right: Jim, Alan, Gary and Chuck.

After the main ride (shown by Chucks post) we split up and I went with Chuck and Alan up to Burlington WV, Awesome roads we took to there!!! Then Chuck and I stopped by his place just off SR 50 had a glass of water and a nice chat with he and his wife then they lead me up a wonderful stretch of SR 50 and we parted ways.

And the rest is histor as they say. I have to say that the ride was outstanding, these guys were all great to hang out with. I learned a lot and I am sure I made some new friends: thanks for the times guys!

-k

PS Chuck did I you see that section of the Jersy rail that had been violently removed and the trees that had been snapped in half on the way up 50? WOW someone musta died there! I bet it was an 18 wheeler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin, yes it was a large truick and no the driver didn't die.

That turn has new guard rail placed around every6-10 weeks it

seems.

Well how did you like my backyard road up the moutain? That road

from the house to the top is 12 miles one way.

Chuck

Kevin, yes it was a large truick and no the driver didn't die.That turn has new guard rail placed around every6-10 weeks it

seems.

Well how did you like my backyard road up the moutain? That road

from the house to the top is 12 miles one way.

Chuck
I could tell you spend time on that. Even two up, i had trouble keeping up with your pace! Actually I was waiting for your SO to slap your helmet :)

PS like my new avatar?? :) the kids made me do it after they ran around the house yelling "fat boys pork palace" and laughing like only little kids can.

Great report and pics. After splitting with the group at Moorefield, I headed back on 55 towards DC. Got home about 6:45. Rode a total of 450 miles. It was nice meeting some new folks and new roads. Smoke Hole Rd is a lot nicer now that its been repaved.

I could tell you spend time on that. Even two up, i had trouble keeping up with your pace! Actually I was waiting for your SO to slap your helmet :) PS like my new avatar?? :) the kids made me do it after they ran around the house yelling "fat boys pork palace" and laughing like only little kids can.
The wife calls it slapping spiders, and warned me that she is was starting to see a leg. Being

the loving husband that I am I know WE don't like spiders.

Chuck

I could tell you spend time on that. Even two up, i had trouble keeping up with your pace! Actually I was waiting for your SO to slap your helmet :) PS like my new avatar?? :) the kids made me do it after they ran around the house yelling "fat boys pork palace" and laughing like only little kids can.
The wife calls it slapping spiders, and warned me that she is was starting to see a leg. Being

the loving husband that I am I know WE don't like spiders.

Chuck
:rofl:

I love this pic. I enjoy going for long rides and stopping a local diners for lunch. B)

Would it be wrong to ride from St. Louis to West Virgina just to have lunch at this fine establishment?

Lunch Break was at a little diner on Rt 33 at Brandywine,WV called .......

SenecaRideLunch2.jpg

spike, your welcome anytime. Lots of fine riding to and from.
Chuck
Hey Chuck,

My wife worked for Zellarbach (maybe spelled different??) which was a Mead company. Let me know when you guys plan to swing by Morgantown, you cn stop by for an ice tea. by the way, i was here by 7:30 (2 hours), just as fast as I-68

Here's some more:

Kevin pluggin in at Harman in the early AM

Dsc00636.jpg

Napoleon...errhhh...Kevin at Lindy Point

Dsc00644.jpg

Lindy Point sans Napoleon

Dsc00645.jpg

Crevasse straight down into Blackwater Canyon between us as Kevin took the shot of me (in his post above) at Lindy Point

Dsc00648.jpg

Our host, Chuck (front center) and Alan (chillun on the Buell) while Gary and Kevin sing backup

https://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/spklbuk/Dsc00651.jpg

Champe Rocks just north of Seneca on 220S

https://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/spklbuk/Dsc00656.jpg

Germany Valley, Pendleton County

https://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/spklbuk/Dsc00665.jpg

Germany Valley another view

https://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/spklbuk/Dsc00666.jpg

Much Kudos to our hosts Chuck and Alan, thanks gentleman; and here's to friends new and old!

Apologies for the last 4 non-pictures. The links appear to work. Guess my damned dial-up connection timed out before they downloaded.

Wow Jim, I didnt see that hole to the bottom there at Lindy Point... and where are the pics of the tent?? how did all that go? Thanks again and again for taking me up there and teaching me about the area, i learned a great deal. My best to your wife!!

By the way I go at least a quarter inche on Napolean :)

PS for those of you who are reading this report and didnt go....

emptyseat1.jpg

Very nicely done Kevin; and yes there were many other seats available as well. So if you didn't make this one, get yerself down to EOM for more of what WV has to offer motorcyclists.

Much appreciate the good thoughts about Creta.

Camping at Seneca Shadows went great - set camp, showered, crashed - plumb tuckered out, woke up rested and on the road at 6:45.

Here's a couple of pics from camp and from my way home this morning:

Pack mule unloaded and camp in place (guess I had the shakes)

Dsc00657.jpg

A cool lil spring just north of Williamsville, VA along another dual sport road I struck out along this morning

Dsc00670.jpg

Looking southeast from Warm Springs Mtn on Rt 39 W

Dsc00676.jpg

Wow, great views Jim, did you take a dip in it? I definately have to make EOM

Walked over for a closer look with those very intentions! Reconsidered after I discovered a whole mini-ecosystem thing goin' on - would make a nice thesis though!

Dsc00671.jpg

Don't forget to reserve a room for EOM - gonna be a good time.

Walked over for a closer look with those very intentions! Reconsidered after I discovered a whole mini-ecosystem thing goin' on - would make a nice thesis though!
Dsc00671.jpg

Don't forget to reserve a room for EOM - gonna be a good time.
On the up side takin a dip woulda been a quick way to pick up a lot of new friends :)