BT-021, Hungry for twisties? These tires are Yummy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
Switched from the Azaros to the BT-021 ..Bridgestones new tire in the Sport Touring arena, replacing the BT-020's in some sizes it seems. (all you experts can correct me and add more data)

Before the stickers were even off I abused these with a fast nevada-style BBG .....1550miles in 21hours. Not a real polite way to break in a tire on fat sport tourer .....certainly premature flat spot. Any tire can do this kind of a ride, some better than others. I learned that these tires are very stable at hight speeds. ...and, sweepers they seemed great. This is likely not the ideal tire for this type of ride, but they held up well.

Finally got a chance to get back on the FJR last night ...a redevous at the North American Headquarters of SKYWAY International. Too many good ways to get to/from sonora from Reno so I too full advantage.

108 over, then 88back over ..then some back roads over to Pollock Pines and then finally Spooner summit late last night. those who know the area know I had my share of good twisties, wondeful sweepers and some great elevation +/-. 450miles, 3 Sierra passes and all twisty and very spirited.

These Tires rocked ...they are perfectly neutral, very stable, and extremely confidence inspiring compared to the Azaros. In places where I would have easily broke the Azaros loose, things things held firm and stable. They heat up very well and stick so very nice. Predictable and solid would be a couple of more adjectives that should be thrown in.

Not sure what the mileage will be. I've only got about 2000miles on them ..but all abusive type miles ...I'd *guesss* that they're about half gone. Perhaps not the best wearing tire, but I was only getting about 4 to 5K out of the Azaros so I think they're pretty comparable

A couple of other pluses compared to the Azaros .....they are round, ..and Bridgestone actually marks the light spot on the tire (HELLO AVON YOU KNUCKLEHEADS) so they balance up much easier (biggy for me as I do my own tires)

Anyway, I'll update this as I get more miles, ...but let me say for spirited sport-touring these tires will fill your appetite for confidence inspiring handling ......Yummy Yum Yum.

Tire001.JPG

Tire002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!

Thats the kind of review i have been waiting for! I really dont care to get Skooter miles out of mine, Since i am really hard on the tires in the corners. :D

My best was 5500 on a set of Avons, But average about 5k. I got 5200 out of the stocker 020's and really hated the front tire as it cupped bad.

The PR's have been the best tire mounted to date, But i am not too crazy about the lack of wear bars in the tire... Do they exist on the 021's?

Sweet!
Thats the kind of review i have been waiting for! I really dont care to get Skooter miles out of mine, Since i am really hard on the tires in the corners. :D

My best was 5500 on a set of Avons, But average about 5k. I got 5200 out of the stocker 020's and really hated the front tire as it cupped bad.

The PR's have been the best tire mounted to date, But i am not too crazy about the lack of wear bars in the tire... Do they exist on the 021's?

Yes, the BT-021's do have wear bars. If you look at the second photo, right under the white 8 (2/3 of the way down) you can kind of make it out.

I agree with Reno John. I really like these tires once they warm up. I haven't had a chance to thrash them as much as he did, but I've taken it on some mild twisties loaded down and they felt planted.

I don't usually wear out my tires because it seems I'm always getting ready for some LD ride or another, but typically I've been doing that at around 8000 miles. If I can get that out of these, I'll be running Bridgestones on the FJR from now on.... or at least until the new Pilot Roads come out.

Just spooned a fresh set of 21's on this evening. Leaving at 4:30 am for a 700-800 mile day from Hooterville Mo to Allison /Jasper Ar. I will see if these are worthy on the great roads in Arkansas. Full report on Sunday... Smitty

Switched from the Azaros to the BT-021 ..Bridgestones new tire in the Sport Touring arena, replacing the BT-020's in some sizes it seems. (all you experts can correct me and add more data)
Before the stickers were even off I abused these with a fast nevada-style BBG .....1550miles in 21hours. Not a real polite way to break in a tire on fat sport tourer .....certainly premature flat spot. Any tire can do this kind of a ride, some better than others. I learned that these tires are very stable at hight speeds. ...and, sweepers they seemed great. This is likely not the ideal tire for this type of ride, but they held up well.

Finally got a chance to get back on the FJR last night ...a redevous at the North American Headquarters of SKYWAY International. Too many good ways to get to/from sonora from Reno so I too full advantage.

108 over, then 88back over ..then some back roads over to Pollock Pines and then finally Spooner summit late last night. those who know the area know I had my share of good twisties, wondeful sweepers and some great elevation +/-. 450miles, 3 Sierra passes and all twisty and very spirited.

These Tires rocked ...they are perfectly neutral, very stable, and extremely confidence inspiring compared to the Azaros. In places where I would have easily broke the Azaros loose, things things held firm and stable. They heat up very well and stick so very nice. Predictable and solid would be a couple of more adjectives that should be thrown in.

Not sure what the mileage will be. I've only got about 2000miles on them ..but all abusive type miles ...I'd *guesss* that they're about half gone. Perhaps not the best wearing tire, but I was only getting about 4 to 5K out of the Azaros so I think they're pretty comparable
John,

#1 of the 3 major complaints I had about 020's is answered (I didn't think they "stuck" particularly well.).

#2-Any signs of the dreaded front cupping?

#3- Let us know how they wear in the final stages. The 020's would look as if they had about 1500 miles left in them and would be "toast" in 400-500 miles.

Signed, Anxiously awaiting your final report. :D

Great report! I hope to pick up my bike with a new set of BT-021's on them later today. My 020's were VERY GOOD for me, as I got almost 10K out of them, and the front didn't cup until the last 200-300 miles or so. I agree wityh MadMike2 that they looked like they would go alot longer, and then were smoked before I knew it. If I can get close to 8K out of the 021's, and have even better cornering, I will be VERY happy.

Got a set from SWMoto waiting in the garage to go on before leaving for WFO. And these are not the same as the 020's. Good report John keep us updated. Thanks, PM. <>< ;)

Just got back from a 3300 mile trip from Seattle area to STN's National Meet in Custer. I put on a new set of 021 a week before departure and put about 100 local miles on to get them scrubbed in.

I took mostly back roads (only about 400 miles of slab for the entire trip) and tried to find the squiggly lines on the map for my route. I am usually pretty easy on tires and got 8k average on a BT020 rear and 12k on a front.

The BT021s felt great and early on you could see the border between the two compounds on the rear tire. After the first two days and about 1000 miles, the wear was very noticable. The sides showed some signs of rubber balling up and the middle was squaring off already. At the 2k mark, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to make it home on this set. I arrived home to a pretty badly shagged set of tires. The front has a pronounced flat spot in the middle, this has never happened to me before, and the sides of the front are almost at the wear bars. The tread blocks on the sides are worn like a cupped BT020, but do not exhibit any headshake at any speed, so that's a positive I guess. The rear is very squared off and also near the wear bars.

My overall opinion is these tires grip ok but don't last for shit. These tires are nearly shot at 3300 miles and I'm feeling thoroughly ripped off. I won't be purchasing another set.

My overall opinion is these tires grip ok but don't last for shit. These tires are nearly shot at 3300 miles and I'm feeling thoroughly ripped off. I won't be purchasing another set.
Hmmmmm, I guess the set I have coming will be installed after WFO. The Avons will have to do for that trip until we get more reports. :glare:

Ooorrrrr, I'll let Del tell us how they do for him. :blink:

Hmmmmm, I guess the set I have coming will be installed after WFO. The Avons will have to do for that trip until we get more reports. :glare:

Ooorrrrr, I'll let Del tell us how they do for him. :blink:
MM2....you shouldn't see front cupping because they changed the tread design do to those exact complaints with the old stones ....just FYI.... :rolleyes: ....

MM2....you shouldn't see front cupping because they changed the tread design do to those exact complaints with the old stones ....just FYI.... :rolleyes: ....
Cupping wouldn't be that big an issue until the last 20% of the tread life. It just means the side tread is doing its job....and its just mildly irritating.

On the other hand.....3,000 miles tire life?????? :dribble:

upping wouldn't be that big an issue until the last 20% of the tread life. It just means the side tread is doing its job....and its just mildly irritating.

Another of life's mysteries that make you go UMMMMM....

Cupping wouldn't be that big an issue until the last 20% of the tread life. It just means the side tread is doing its job....and its just mildly irritating.

I'm figuring about 4k max for this set, about half what I was getting with a BT 020

I liked the way my new BT-021's felt today, with the first 200 miles I put on them. I guess I will just ride them until it is time to change, and if the longevity is as bad as some people are saying I will move on to something else.

I have a new set waiting to go on now. I'm down to the wear bars on the 020's with 7600 on the odometer.. I'll have to see how the 021's do over the summer.