FODS - FJR Owners Dual Sport Ride 9/15-9/16 or some other date see within

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
It is with excitement and trepidation that I announce the 2007 FODS for September 15th and 16th.

I'm finding some people are going up the Friday before, I might too. If you want an easier (more tar) way up there, then see this post:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry288641

[SIZE=10pt]FIRE UPDATE:[/SIZE]

I called the ranger station and spoke with the ranger that patrols the Meadow Lake area. There are a couple things to know:

1) In the properly marked camp ground, wood fires in the fire rings are allowed.

2) Propane stove permits are required! If there is a flame, the person with the permit has to be there. This means it's best to get a number of these, they are free and available at Forest Service Stations and CDF Stations. I have some addresses for these. PM me if you need them.

3) There are been two sightings of bear in the area in the last month. The bears are having a hard year due to the drought and are coming lower to try to find easy pickings. Easy picking would be ANY food in your tents, or left in packs on the ground. The ranger recommends either locking the food in a vehicle with the windows tightly closed, or hanging it high in a tree (bring rope). This is serious, NO FOOD IN TENTS and I'd keep it off your body too unless you want a bear frisking you.

4) Meadow lake has rainbow trout for anyone that is a fisherman

5) Not all roads up there are legal. Technically, if they are not numbered then you aren't allowed on them. He says signs are often vadalized so more than anything he looks that you aren't

a. Jumping water barriers to get to roads...this ticks him off big time

b. going on roads that aren't marked and look overgrown

If the road looks like it has been in continual use, then go for it. There are currently restrictions on this due to the fire hazard so expect enforcement to be strict.

Also, please remember the backpackers credo: If you pack it in, pack it out. Don't leave trash behind.

Perhaps the most convenient location (on the way) is the CDF station in Auburn. Open Mon-Fri 8-5

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...wloc=A&om=1

There is also CDF downtown Sacramento at

1416 9th street

Ranger Station in Nevada City if you are coming up 20:

631 coyote street

Or Truckee:

exit 188a

(188B is before A)

get off turn Left over freeway

immediately on left in trees

9646 Donner pass road

First off: This date is now firm. Any other changes will be reflected here.

Concept: Many FJR Riders are also buying, or already have dual sport bikes. The idea is for FJR owners that also DS to meet in Northern California to ride together. Could this really be a DS ride without an overnight stay in the Sierra? Load up your camping gear if you want to participate fully. If not, single day riders are welcome too. If you are a beginner Dual Sporter, you won't be alone. If you are experienced and this sounds fun, you are also welcome! If you are experienced and you feel comfortable sharing tips with newbies then you will be very, very welcome!!!

LOCATION: Tahoe Wilderness starting on NF18, or Bowman Lake Road. Take I-80 to Hwy 20 West. Turn right on Bowman Lake Road. Meet at the first paved parking lot on the left - Bear river picnic area.

WHEN: Weekend of Sept 15th. Meet in the parking lot at 9AM.

Gas: Have enough gas for 150 miles of off road riding. The ride out from the furthest destination is up to 50 miles.

Safety. We have skill sets all over the board here. Many people, like myself, rode exclusively street bikes until just recently. If you want to cut up the forest, this isn't the crowd to show off to. This will be a mellow group of riders trying out new roads, skills, bikes and we want a safe adventure.

Tread lightly. I have a lot to learn here in regard to riding, but generally I believe the concept is to stay on approved roads / trails and to obey rules and be polite to people who are also trying to enjoy the open spaces. I really don't want to be part of a crowd that pisses off other campers/hikers etc. Now, if we tread lightly and people still have a problem with us, then we can taunt them like French invaders taunt King Arthur's Knights. The general rule of backpacking applies. If you pack it in, pack it out. No trash will be left in the wilderness by this group.

Trailer Parking - YES there are campgrounds where trailers can be parked. You can call to get reservations. See this link. Site F is actually on Bowman Lake Road just 1/4 mile from hwy 20

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...p;z=13&om=1

Destination: Meadow Lake and surrounding lakes. There are a lot of lakes and roads spider out from this location pretty well. Check out this map:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...p;z=12&om=1

Party at the concrete pad near Meadow Lake Saturday night.

Possible limitations: there may be restrictions on charcoal and wood fires. Gas stoves require a permit.

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/passes_permits/campfire.shtml

Camping - don't do stupid human tricks like having food or beverage anywhere near your tent. I'll leave the rest up to each individual, it could get funny :lol:

Who is in???

madmike2 - This party is now in honor of MM2, who can't make it due to recovery from a fall.

So far:

OrangevaleFJR

twowheelnut

HIGHLANDER

UberKul

Evil Henchman (Friday)

James Burleigh

Exskibum (Friday)

RenoJohn

BlueStreek

DougC (Friday)

Soon to buy Dual Sports so they can still have a bunch fun with their friends:

Bluestreek (in the bag) SOLD

Skyway (What better way to meet people in need of new farkles? It's a business decision, not another motorcycle.)

Khunajawdge (looking for an affordable DS -- help him shop!)

Exskibum SOLD

MAPS:

[SIZE=18pt]Where to meet:[/SIZE]

FODSMeetingPlace.jpg

Area Map - Notice, you can take dirt roads all the way to Downieville if you so desire. There is a huge area for DS here

FODSPossibilities.jpg

Initial ride route

MeadowLakeMap.jpg

Preview:

Bowman Lake

DSC09864.jpg

From a seldom used road about 2 miles from the lake

DSC09850.jpg

DSC09849.jpg

Meadow Lake Road

DSC09859.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for a planning meeting... <_< :lol: IN!

Edit: Someone needs to throw up a camping 101 thread. I haven't camped outside since 1968 - Camp Marriott only, since. Well, there was that one time in 1981(?) on Cape Cod during the 'Great Gypsy Moth Infestation'...

Sounds great! Should be able to make it. How technical is the riding? Not in a big hurry to mount knobbies on my GS, hopefully the stock tires will work.

How technical is the riding?
It's NOT technical. Just fun, social and enjoying a different environment/scenery.

It should be noted that for those who don't want to "campout", Truckee isn't far away.

Count me in fella's :yahoo: . Will probably truck it up with the camping gear and bike, and wood, and all the crap you guys want to throw in :glare:

Just a tip for those who've never been on a group ride on dirt roads - Invest in a dust mask :ph34r:

I might show up with an extra dirt machine for those who want to get a little further off the beaten path...

Just a tip for those who've never been on a group ride on dirt roads - Invest in a dust mask :ph34r:
I might show up with an extra dirt machine for those who want to get a little further off the beaten path...
Hey Steve, you have time to find one and buy it. You'll be in a race with exskibum, so watch your "6". :D

You can hang back half a mile or stay about three feet from the guy ahead of you so the dust doesn't have a chance to rise to face level. And you'll look cool in one of these.

you guys are bad, any excuse for a PARTY. and now you are taking the party into the woods whats that all about????????????????????,

R

you guys are bad, any excuse for a PARTY. and now you are taking the party into the woods whats that all about????????????????????,
R
You coming up with TWN on your new DS? I didn't know that you had one...yet.

I was under the impression that my DRZ was not enough bike for a long haul DS ride. Then I went on a long excursion and the more I rode, the more I like it. Now I'm selling my Super Moto wheel set so I can buy this:

Safari 28 Litre (7.3 gallon) tank for a 370-400 mile range.

image006.gif

and these:

276_big.jpg

or these:

https://www.moto-sportpanniers.com/soft.htm

and I'm sure I'll have to visit Bill Mayer again. :)

Oooh, ouch! That seat would not be a good long hauler, though I'd bet you'd score lead soprano in the Vienna Boys Choir after along trip on that! :lol:

Oooh, ouch! That seat would not be a good long hauler, though I'd bet you'd score lead soprano in the Vienna Boys Choir after along trip on that! :lol:

Like I said, "and I'm sure I'll have to visit Bill Mayer again. "

I have to say that it's more comfortable than the stock FJR seat. :lol: