Has your 1st gen FJR been repaired for "The Tick"??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your 1st gen FJR been repaired for "The Tick"??

• Yes, and it's been fine ever since

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, but I think it still has a problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I think it needs it

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Nope...mine's quiet as a mouse fart

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
The dealer I went to today to try to get my (suspected) ticker fixed contacted his tech rep and was told there's only a few of them out there with the problem. This should be amusing to say the least.

Certainly not quiet as a mouse fart, but I don't think any of the noise is coming from the valves.

Mine was one of the early 03 tickers #218. Was repaired at around 25k but was making noise from 11k. Since repair all is well other than when whipping it hard in hot weather I have to add a little oil. It may be using a little more now at 56k but not sure. Will know after WFO cause it will be hot and fast. If it is I will contact Desert Valley and get it checked out and fixed. One of the issues with the early repairs was that they were fixed using the same old parts rather than the updated parts.

Mine was repaired at 22,000 miles, and now, at 34,000 miles, I think it's starting to make the same noise again.

Yamaha put a new head on my 04 (they wanted to send the original to Japan) when it had 12 k on it. Now it has 39k and quiet. Sure miss the smooth idle it had before the tps recall :angry2:

Mine was done in March with 23k on it. Been ticking since 8k. '03 model.

I haven't gotten a chance to put any real miles on it since, but with 1100 miles on the repair it seems quiet.

Gee...I was begining to thing I had a weird one until I saw the results of that survey. I've got an 03 with 10,000 miles on it. (don't blame me...I've only had it a year...original owner only put 2600 mjiles on it!!) Mine is nice and quiet so far, didn't really have the surging like everyone else seems to have...it had some, but that was minor to me and seems to have been fixed with a TBS and new plugs. Yeah, it does get warm..but in Hotlanta EVERYTHING gets warm. The only complaint I have is that I have to ride the bike to work every day. The ride is great...but having to go to work sucks. :rolleyes:

Ray

Mine is nice and quiet so far, didn't really have the surging like everyone else seems to have...
FYI the surging issue is limited to the Gen II FJR's (06 and 07 models so far). No reason to expect surging on an '03..... :D

My 04 Fjr started making a "noise" about 10,000 miles. By 8/04 at 15,000 miles I was sure it was a "ticker."

I took it in 12/05 at 27,000 miles for a valve clearence check. All clearences were good, but the mechanic said there was a ticking noise after he put it back together. Dealer contacted Yamaha at Cypress. They said to replace valves and guides. Now at 37,500 miles and all seems well.

Longrider

Certainly not quiet as a mouse fart, but I don't think any of the noise is coming from the valves.

Gunny.

As I understand it, my '05 is a Gen II ('04 & '05 in the U.S.A), but has the same drive train as a Gen I ('03). Differences were larger brake rotors and windshield and shorter blinker stalks on the later year models. And then they went and messed with a beautiful thing for '06 & '07 (Gen III), but didn't cause too much harm.

Almost at 44K, no valve ticking that I'm aware of (said while knocking wood, rubbing Buddha's belly, throwing salt over left shoulder, performing any and all actions purported to hold gremlins at bay) :rolleyes:

Latest posts