Leaking Final Drive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy V

Reaction score
I just got back from a 1000mile trip and noticed that the gear oil was leaking from dust cover/ cap on the top of shaft drive. I have the service manual, but could not find any help with how to remove or why it may be leaking. The final drive oil level was fine so it only leaked alittle, just enough to throw dirty oil all overtherear rim.

Randy V

Randy,

1) Are you sure that the oil is oil and not grease coming from the rear drive splines?

2) Here is another post that seems related: rear drive splooge. That one has more links to more posts, which have more links ... :)

Randy,1) Are you sure that the oil is oil and not grease coming from the rear drive splines?
Gunny!

Not that it couldn't happen, but spooge on the rear wheel originating from the top vent would be a first that I have heard of. A leaking seal (one of many possible) is the usual culprit.

Clicky HERE for another thread with more details on where the splooge can come from.

I would take a close look at the weephole on the bottom of the swingarm and see if that is not the source of your problems.

Good luck.

I believe that vent cap is to allow excess fluid to escape. Perhaps you had too much oil in the shaft drive.

Joe

I believe that vent cap is to allow excess fluid to escape. Perhaps you had too much oil in the shaft drive.
Joe
The rear drive is sealed, as it warms up the air inside needs someplace to go as it expands - vent tube. Putting in to much oil is hard to do, it's full when it reaches the bottom of the fill hole, any more and it comes pouring out as you put it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe
The rear drive is sealed, as it warms up the air inside needs someplace to go as it expands - vent tube. Putting in to much oil is hard to do, it's full when it reaches the bottom of the fill hole, any more and it comes pouring out as you put it in.
FWIW, mine leaked out the top, too. It did it with just 580 miles on the odometer (started blowing out on a 200 mile trip). Checked the level, it was fine. When I told the service dept. about it at the 600 mile break-in maintenance the next day, he said they most likely put in too much final gear oil during assembly. Hasn't leaked since (now at 4K with several 400+ mile days).

Last edited by a moderator:
It is definately coming from the vent cap, I can see where it ran downon both sides. Thinking back it may be from when I had the rear shaft on the ground last week and found oil leaking from the top when I turned it over. It may have pooled up somewhere in the vent until I rode it again. Possible I guess.

Putting in to much oil is hard to do, it's full when it reaches the bottom of the fill hole, any more and it comes pouring out as you put it in.
But it is possible if the bike is not level when you fill it.

Only way to do that is on purpose man, and it'd require 2 people (one holding the bike leaned to the right). The more likely scenario would be to UNDERFILL the final drive, if somebody was to do that while on the sidestand. Later.

JC

It is definately coming from the vent cap, I can see where it ran downon both sides. Thinking back it may be from when I had the rear shaft on the ground last week and found oil leaking from the top when I turned it over. It may have pooled up somewhere in the vent until I rode it again. Possible I guess.
Most definitely. When I have had my final drive off and it has not been upright I have had oil leak from the vent cap.

Only way to do that is on purpose man, and it'd require 2 people (one holding the bike leaned to the right). The more likely scenario would be to UNDERFILL the final drive, if somebody was to do that while on the sidestand.

As much as it pains me............. :D

GUNNY1 to what JC said.