RivNuts...helpful diagnostic tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03HiYoSilver

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my experience with others.

Back in March had my '03 Fjr in the 28k service along with a specific problem of #4 plug fouling out. Well this shop checked the valves (OK) and Replace the Cam Chain tensioner. So I thought things were fine but it kept idling erratically and after about 500 miles, #4 plug was fouling again.

Took it into another shop and they found I had bad valves guides leaking oil into the cyclinder... so they replaced it with a New Head back in June. Thought things were fine but after a couple about 4k miles, #4 plug is fouling again.

Take it back into the last shop and insisted we install RivNuts part# ACC-11130-00-26 (6mm) to help diagnose the problem(by accurately testing values on EACH header-in lieu of testing at the Exhaust where 2 cylinders are mixed together) . After replacing the Coils, ECU, Injector still had HIGH HC(HydroCarbon) levels of 1600+ where the others were in the 200-400 range. Then they decided to call the Regional Tech representative in and he found the New Head had the New Valves but had the Old Guides & Seals...oddly enough causing excessive oil bypass into the #4 cylinder.

So they ordered New Valves/Guides/Seals and had them installed and finally solved the problem. It has been a long time waiting, but happy the Dealer Service Techs, Yamaha Customer Service(Steve) and the Regional Technician (Al) all pulled together to get this done right. I am truly Grateful to them now I have another good reason to have a pleasant THANKSgiving Holiday.

So if you are experiencing some similar problems, this may be a good route for the installation of RivNuts in order to Diagnose problems Not Throwing Codes out of the Loop. It sure saved me alot of grief and allowed me the proof I was expressing for the last 6 months.

Happy Thanksgiving to You and Yours!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW,

What were the odds of #4 being bad again?

Glad they fixed it.

How are the rivnuts secured into the header, and do they remain there and just get pugged?

Zorlac,

They are high quality Rivets (of either Stainless Steel or Titanium) rivetted in the header pipes and have screws that can be taken out for testing these values when needed, ie CO/HC values. The hours charged for installation was 2.5 hours. Without these, I don't think it would have ever been fixed... now they don't think I am looney tunes.

Just got some time to Upload the RivNut Installation Pictures on the header:

FjrRivnutsHeaders.jpg

FjrRivnutsCloseUp.jpg

Those are the Removable hexnut screws while the Rivets themselves are flush with the header pipe.

Last edited by a moderator: