Power Distribution

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some nice features. I like the idea of including a battery charger connection, but wonder how you could mount the unit it so that you could conveniently get to that connector.

Cheap and simple was the way I went.

barrierstrip.jpg

Thanks, Dale.

Cheap and simple was the way I went.

Thanks, Dale.
The same way I went, just be sure to wrap it in elec. tape before you put everything together (the instructions don't mention the elec tape but after you're done and the bike is back together, and you look at the pic - you know the picture you should have paid more attention to in the first place, :huh: you get to find out you need to take the bike apart again to wrap it up with the tape :angry:

I fond a nice 8-fuse block that fits in the bottom of my glovebox for, $10. Wire I can buy and a 2-way plug for the battery charger, $3 (?). It doesn't appear much different than the 6 block fuse holder I had on the Connie and the '04 FJR---like $5.95 @ CSK.

Got some nice features. I like the idea of including a battery charger connection, but wonder how you could mount the unit it so that you could conveniently get to that connector.
I took it to mean that there wa a lug on the board where you could connect the spade lug from your battery tender lead that normally would be connected to the battery. This is actually a problem for me because I use my powerlet connector to charge the battery and I wouldn't want that turned off when I start the bike. Perhaps I'll just add a battery tender lead because I actually like the idea of converting the powerlet to a switched outlet.

I ordered one this morning. Now all I have to do is figure out where to put my Datel since the powerlet is in the most likely spot.

Oh, FWIW, this unit appears to actually be made by these guys but I ordred it from Adventure Motostuff because it was cheaper.

Cheers,

Jim

BTW - I need to get the bike put back together now that the Spieglers are on and the HID's mostly done. It's so torn apart that I'm afraid I wont be able to get it all back together again. Now where did THAT screw come from? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been running an Electrical Connection Power Plate for a few years on my GL1800 Wing with no problems at all. The battery charger connection is ideal as I tie wrapped it outside the frame in a semi-concealed area and don't have to remove any plastic to use it.

The Centech sure is a nice looking unit but you still have to supply the relay and whatnot, right?

Actually, I (as usual) didn't know about that unit beforehand but the Plate looks nice. With any luck, I'll be able to mount it on the right side of the U bracket that supports the speedo assembly. Then perhaps a slave barrier strip under the seat.

BTW - Is there a generally recognised "best" place to get the switched power to control the relay? Hopefully someplace close to where the unit would be mounted.

Re: switched power source.

Some of us who have disconnected the "auto-retract" on the windshield use that as a source. Others tap into the running light wire from the fairing (turn signal/running light). Those are probably the 2 easiest.

Re:  switched power source.Some of us who have disconnected the "auto-retract" on the windshield use that as a source.  Others tap into the running light wire from the fairing (turn signal/running light).  Those are probably the 2 easiest.
The auto retract connector is a great idea! I just discombobulated that and was going to find some tape to cover it up. With any luck, I can use a pin removal tool to remove the pin from one side of the connector so I can splice the relay wire to the jumper wire and make it look a pro install.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Jim

I see Adventure Motostuff is in Carson City...just a short hop from Reno...may have to make a side trip..

JimV

You've sorted the live side but not the earth - you are therefore faced with either buying the earth block, connecting to chassis or direct to battery

Blue Seas and Centech have earth terminals built it :)

JimV
You've sorted the live side but not the earth - you are therefore faced with either buying the earth block, connecting to chassis or direct to battery

Blue Seas and Centech have earth terminals built it  :)
I was thinking about that this morning. Is this the Blue Sea that you're talking about? It's also very nice. In fact, from the perspective of being a nice unit, I think that I like it the best. I found it for $36 shipped from a place called iboats.com which I've never done business with.

However, if you insist on putting + and - in the same place, you're going to need the biggest space, right? Having separate units would allow each one to be smaller at the expense of wiring convenience.

The net takeaway is that I should ask more questions before buying stuff, although I still think the Power Plate will be fine.

Cheers,

Jim

I have that unit installed on my 05 and I really like it. I followed the guide on FJR1300.info. I like it, it works well. I got mine from Electricalconnections and paid a little more...but got excellent service. It was here in no time.

I also added a ground bus so that I would only have to run a ground line one time (from the bus to my ground point) and ground all accessories that I connect to the power distribution block.

PowerDistBlock.jpg

JimV

Is this the Blue Sea that you're talking about?
Yes

Most have found room under the seat in the tool tray after drilling out the rubber restraint rivit

I'm very pleased with mine - I decided I didn't need it switched

Most have found room under the seat in the tool tray after drilling out the rubber restraint rivit
I'm curious why under the seat seems so popular for power panels. Is it just all that space?

It seems like most things that I'd connect to it like a GPS, audio, radar detector, and even heat controllers go forward of the engine. After fishing the old clutch cable out and the spiegler cable in, I'm in no hurry to be running more cables through the "hot zone". Is this purely a matter of personal oipinion? I thought it would be cool to run a small slave panel off of the main one if I wanted more connections in the aft end of the bike. Maybe even one of those way cool Blue Sea panels to power a driver's backrest with a flat screen TV in it. :bleh:

Jim