HID Self Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Here is the procurement information for the excellent McCulloch G5 HID Kits that forum members have been installing since October, 2005

FedExLo-Beam_kit.jpg

Pricing:

You can only purchase these kits through PayPal.

• H4 Low-Beam Only kit: $185 for 4300K
  • H4 Low-Beam Only kit w/ credit card: $192 for 4300K
  • H4 Hi/Lo kit: $295 for 4300K
  • H4 Hi/Lo kit kit w/ credit card: $302 for 4300K
These are complete prices, including Federal Express International shipping to the USA. Other countries may have a small additional shipping fee. Email an inquiry below if this applies to you.
Each kit contains two (2) HID lamp setups (including bulbs, ballasts, ignitors, double-sided foam tape, zip-ties, etc.)

Sizes available

H1, H3, H4, H7, H8, H9, H10, H11, H12, H13/9008, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007

The 4300K kit is *THE* color temperature bulb you want, trust me. Higher color temperature capsules are available at an additional cost, but they are not recommended due to less usable light output, and the potential "cop-magnet" effect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For H4 applications such as our FJR's, two HID kit versions are offered:

1) Low-Beam Only: $185/kit This is the kit to have if you have aux lamps to serve as your high beams. The increased light output over stock halogen is several orders of magnitude. You still retain the sharp cut-off of the stock lighting. Below is the comparison of stock halogen low-beam (top photo) versus HID Low-beam (lower photo):

LoBeamCompareSM.jpg

2) Hi/Lo-Beam kit $295/kit - the dual beam version of the H4 uses a servo activated shutter to simulate true high beam function. This particular kit is NOT recommended due to the relatively poor high-beam output, but is offered nonetheless for those who want them. However, the low-beam output is identical to the above photo.

Ordering:

To order, simply do a "Send Money" transaction to this PayPal address: [email protected] (use instant transfer or echeck ONLY at this address; not credit card!)

If you need to use a credit card, use this paypal address instead: [email protected] Note you will incur an extra $7 fee to pay via credit card.

In the PayPal subject field, please put 'FJRForum HID Self Buy", and in the comments/body be sure to specify which bulb type (H4, H7, H3, etc), which color temperature (again, the 4300K strongly recommended), and your complete shipping address.

Installation:

The kit comes with 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts and 2 ignitors. These kits are essentially "plug-n-play". Here are the two germane FJRTech articles for installation, including many photos:

Installing the H4 HID kit in your FJR

Wiring the "Low-Beam Only" H4 HID kit

Modifying a HID "Low-Beam Only" bulb to a "High-Beam Only" bulb

A few FAQs:

Power consumption:

These HIDs use much less power than stock bulbs, only 35 watts per bulb (plus an additional 7 watts to keep the ballast humming, so it's a total pf 42-watts per lamp. They are the perfect option for bikes like out FJRs with modest alternator output. This save the FJR rider 36-watts of power over stock high-beam - enough to power heated grips, or a Widder vest!

Legality:

HID conversions are not technically legal in the US, but neither is speeding, using "race only" pipes on a bike, etc, so take that into consideration when making your purchase. If aimed *properly*, and you install the non-blingy 4300K bulbs, chances are it will never be an issue.

Will they blind other drivers?

If properly installed and aimed correctly, NO, the low-beams will not. However, it is *critical* that you ENSURE your lights are aimed correctly!! To have these lights aimed incorrectly (particularly on small, 2-lane roads), is just inviting a disaster to occur.... they are THAT bright! Be socially responsible.... keep the sharp cutoff of the low-beam aimed *below* the driver's eye-level for all oncoming traffic.

Lifespan/spares:

A typical HID bulb has a MTBF in excess of 3500 hours.... I've been running one for over 5 years now in my Blackbird. Spare components are available should you damage a kit in an accident, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SIZE=21pt]NOW READ THIS FINE PRINT, DUDE!![/SIZE]

This is a SELF BUY. What does that mean?

It means this: If you have a problem with your order, you handle it. No whiny-gash crying is allowed if you hose something up, or if you get your dumb-ass hosed up somehow, or some Act of God befalls you/your order, or whatever. I don't want to hear your shit.

Don't like it? Hey... don't order! How simple is that?! <_<

Serious biz, I don't give a flying rat's ass if you get one of these kits or not... I got no interest either way. I'm just presenting the info here 'cuz 1) I'm a swell guy, and 2) I've gotten several of these kits, and know first-hand that they kick serious ass. You can either take advantage of it, or not! No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy these things.... . ¿comprende?

You can always track your order through FedEx. If you have a shipping issue, take it up with FedEx. If you encounter some sort of payment issue, take it up with PayPal. Look, just make sure you know WTF you want before you order, and don't dick up when you order. If you don't like the payment method, or buying direct from an overseas factory, or have a tendancy to have "issues" with buying over the internet, of any of the above, then DON'T participate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.