I like Corbin.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom of VA

Reaction score
This is my second Smuggler. I waited 7 weeks for the first one, and was sent the 2004 color. I mailed it back to Corbin and they speeded this (correct for 2003) out to me in two weeks. They were easy to deal with and did not make excuses; they just sent the new one out ASAP. I love the style and it is just what I wanted. I don’t know why more bikes don’t come stock with compartments made into the rear tail section. After all, everyone has some gloves, glasses or some kind of stuff they what to store in the bike. While I give Corbin credit for good customer service and the design is great, you can tell this part was produced in small quantity and is not quite as precise as an original Yamaha part. I’m sure most buyers will be pleased with the Smuggler. I removed the bolts and acorn nuts it came with, and replaced them with my own setup which allows me to swap the smuggler back and forth with the rear seat. Removing and installing the Smuggler is as easy as the stock rear seat. Now, I keep my crap in the Smuggler and use the side cases for my helmet, groceries, 6 pack, gallon of milk, street shoes, jacket, heck I can sell the van. So, what do you think?

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, It dosen't appear as though it'd take to long to swich to two up seating. Is it as easy as it looks. Oh and it really looks shweet.

Love the snowy background just like here :D

:jester:

... and use the side cases for my helmet, groceries, 6 pack, gallon of mike, street shoes, jacket...
What do you do with the rest of mike, and does he weigh exactly 8 lbs. less when you are done?

-BD

+1 on Tom's modifications, even slicker than mine. I used my Smuggler to the max on my most recent long ride, and it was the first place dumped "stuff" at every gas or food stop. Big enough to be useful, small enough to be out of the way.

You read my mind!!! Whenever they get the color match right on my 04 Smuggler, I wanted to do the same for easy on and off. Where did you purchase the bits and what are they called? Thanks, Walt

Yamahlr,

You will need (4) bronze bushings and (2) steel roll pins (also called tension pins). Remove the chrome brackets from the smuggler and use a vise to press the roll pins into the bushings. You will need to grind the left side bottom pin to match the pin length of the stock rear seat. (There is a cable which passes directly under the pin hole in the frame, which requires one side to be shorter). Then reinstall the chrome brackets leaving them just snug so you can move them. Once it all lines up, remove the Smuggler and tighten the 10mm bolts. The new bottom side pins should go right into the frame holes and the top pin will go into the holes under the front seat just like the stock passenger seat. I bought the stuff at Lowes. It took a week to find the parts and 5 minutes to press in the pins and stall the Smuggler. It fits snug and can be swapped as fast as you can remove a side case.

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

Tom, I got my 04 silver Smuggler from Corbin recently and am similarily pleased with it.

I wish I had read your post and stopped by Lowes before I spent an hour on the lathe at work making the parts you bought....LOL. I came up with almost exactly the same setup to make the Smuggler quick change but I machined the little bushing parts out of aluminum and treaded them internally and locked them in place on a piece of threaded rod with locktite. Then I read your post....duh....always the hard way. Basically the same exact setup as yours, though, and it seems to fit and work fine.

Now I have to wire in a light to see in it in the dark.....

I feel so lame. From using a lathe to create your own parts to installing lights so that you can see. I just carry a flashlight in my pocket. I obviously need to spend less time watching hockey.

but I can't

If'n I git me one of dem Smugglers, where I supposed to pack my bitch?? :(
Have the bitch wear a backpack....???

If you think the Smuggler is expensive just wait til you get dat bitch......LOL. Is she color matching BTW....???

Tom,

Thanks for the great information on the installation ideas. I took your idea and made a couple of changes...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Instead of taking the chrome brackets off the smuggler, I plan to leave them on. I will place the two bushings and tension pins into their holes on the bike. I will then place the smuggler on the bike, then I will tap the two other bushings onto the pins.

One thing that worried me was the metal bushings sitting on the metal frame. I fixed the problem by spraying the bushings with plastic spray. It puts a nice soft rubber finish on the bushings. It also makes them just a bit snugger in their holes.

Again, thanks for the idea!

FJR1300,

What are those "hats" you press on the pins? Are they a type of push nut? The bronze bushings I used are a very soft metal and won't damage the frame. I also placed thin rubber washers over bottom pins, so everything stays nice and snug. Let me know how it works out. I'm sure you will like the convenience of the smuggler. I really like mine. Post a picture when you’re done.

Thanks,

Tom