Hella FF50 and Garaulds brackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1FJR

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a set of Hella FF50 lights and brackets from Garauld awile ago. Well I finally got them installed. The brackets are great, the lights look great. I have not tried them at night yet.

When I got the lights, I did not want to use the giant switch that came with them. I decided to find a switch to fit that opening on the housing on the left handlebar. I found a switch from DIGI-Key (CH755-ND) that was only slightly larger than the opening. So with some carefull file work I was able to make the switch fit. My uncle the family electronic genius suggested that I install a resistor (1K 0hm rated at 1/2 watt) between tabs #85 and #86 on the relay to help keep the switch from burning out. I just sodered it in place.

65467296-M.jpg

The photo shows the back side of the switch. The black arrow points to where I had to make room for the two wires from the switch. I then routed the wires out the same hole as all the other wires from the housing. Sorry for the out of focus picture.

65467289-M.jpg

This is the switch in place. I have a cover for the switch that I will glue in place after I make sure it all works for awhile.

65467287-M.jpg

Here is the finished light installed.

65467283-M.jpg

The above picture is for the next project, I call it the BOX.

I tied mine in with the high beams, no switch and they are a driving light so both would be used similtaneously anyway, at least as I use them. One suggestion-you'll get better range and a cleaner look if you locate the lamps above the bracket rather than below. Nice install on the switch though-a lot of owners are crazed by the fact that Yurp owners get a switch there and the colonies don't. ;)

Nice write up, 1FJR!

Where did you find the cover for the switch. According to the Cherry's spec sheet for their rocker switches, they make a version of the switch that has a waterproof boot, but I haven't been able to find any distributors that carry it (outside of one in Russia!).

Thanks.

Nice write up, 1FJR!
Where did you find the cover for the switch. According to the Cherry's spec sheet for their rocker switches, they make a version of the switch that has a waterproof boot, but I haven't been able to find any distributors that carry it (outside of one in Russia!).

Thanks.
The switch cover is not a Cherry part, it is a general part that I found in the DIGI-Key catalog. The part number is 335-1011-ND. I used silcon rubber sealant to hold it in place. So far it is working good.