SpeedFreaks 05-06 comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedFreak

Reaction score
Well got the call last Thursday and picked her up this Sat ordered it the last week in October.

If you recall I had the 05 and the HEAT issue was just too much to bear.

I only put 101 miles on it and the ambient air temp was a cool 57-63 so not a great test for the heat issue but I can tell you this, What heat? This 06 is fantastic! There was a tinge of heat in the seat after 75 miles or so but NOTHING to worry about. So Far the 06 wins.

My first thought on the bike was, "Hmm I don't remember the screen being so small" but it might have been as I had a Ceebaileys +3+4 on the 05 when I sold it . Also the 06 screen is tinted a slight dark blue. I like it. although functionally it will probably get replaced. I have not adjusted the seat or handle bars and so my analysis is straight from the dealer settings. I am 5'10" and could not find any clean air w/o ducking down. I did not notice any windshield whistling as has been mentioned already. The 06 wins.

The engine sounds are much quieter on the 06 then the 05. You can hear the engine but it's not as loud. I prefer the 06.

Shifting so far is fine. Needs more miles on it. Getting it into 5th for the first time was as notchy as my 05 was, but the more mile you put on it the easier it got. I would put the 06 shifting on par with the 05 that has the R1 Shifting mod. - 05/06 Tie.

Seat - So far the only difference I can tell is that when wet the 06 seat dry's better! Found that out after stopping for something to eat and the sky's opened up! I just wiped the seat with my bear hand and was able to get the seat pretty dry! I have not adjusted the seat yet and it's the same on the 05 (seat height). I cannot flat foot it but can control the bike just fine. - winner has to be the 06 because it's adjustable.

I know the transmission gearing on the 06 is set higher but I got to tell you for a sport tourer this is the way it should be. Crusing around town I stay in 4th. I don't get to 5th until 55+ mph.

Can't wait till it's fully broken in. For me I like the 06 better.

I have the 17mpg instant fuel mileage issue but no big deal as the average fuel mileage works fine. I'm sure I'll get it fixed but I certainly won't loose any sleep over it.

I like the 06 instrument panel better than the 05. It looks cleaner, love the ambient temp gauge. Yes the directionals are small but don't bother me.

I'd score the 05 a 7 and the 06 a 10.

My 05 lost 2 points for the heat, .5 point ergonomics, and another .5 for subjectiveness!

Oh yeah I paid full list for the 05 ($12,995 I believe) and paid $11,995 OTD for the 06

Winner 06 hands down! (one man's opinion)

-=SF=-

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Congratulations! I wanted so bad to get down to Plaistow and sit on it before you but couldn't make it :lol: Glad you like it so far. And about that rain -- Helen and I rode in it for almost 3 hours yesterday. I can't believe you would let your new '06 get wet :eek:

If the rain ever ends I would like a chance to look over the new and improved FJR.

I sent you a reply to your message about the FRS radios, since we seem to have spotty email I thought I would mention it.

See ya at some point. Don't wash away.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on over any time - That means anyone else in the area too.

I tried to get thos FRS radios at bestbuy yesterday but they did not have the ones I sent you available.

My brother and I did manage to talk "Larry's" ear off at Max's BMW dealership about the autocom solution. I thinkI have everything I need to put this audio solution together. Care for some "fun"

You still have that power distr available?

Spent $13K yesterday might as well just keep spending now!!

-=SF=-

Congratulations! I wanted so bad to get down to Plaistow and sit on it before you but couldn't make it :lol: Glad you like it so far. And about that rain -- Helen and I rode in it for almost 3 hours yesterday. I can't believe you would let your new '06 get wet :eek:
If the rain ever ends I would like a chance to look over the new and improved FJR.

I sent you a reply to your message about the FRS radios, since we seem to have spotty email I thought I would mention it.

See ya at some point. Don't wash away.

Alan

You still have that power distr available?
I still have a Bluesea that I will donate. I threw away the packaging and since your email does not allow big graphics here is the info you will need:

DSCN6045.jpg

DSCN6046.jpg

Next will be finding a home for it someplace on Big Blue.

If I can, I will swing by before the rain and hail starts later this afternoon.

Alan

Wow! Where did you buy your 06 for 11,995??

I just paid 13,499base +....feel ripped off.

Did you have to put $500 as a deposit first?

:assassin:

Plaistow PowerSports in Plaistow NH. The 11,995 includes the $500.00 down.

I had bought a 2003 RX1 sled and trailer, and two ATV's from them so they tend to treat me right!

Don't feel bad the 06 is worth the full price :clapping:

I'll really make you feel ripped off then $11819.00 OTD :D :p :yahoo: Cycle Design in Phillipston, MA I have been a service customer there for years and they matched an OTD price from Troy City Garage in NY.

Speedfreak,

any further testing on the heat issue on the 06, or you still chilly up there?

I"m very interested to hear from someone who wouldnt tolerate the previous heat. Sold my st1300 for just that reason.

GreyGoose

Speedfreak,

I"m very interested to hear from someone who wouldnt tolerate the previous heat. Sold my st1300 for just that reason.

GreyGoose
I'll keep this post updated GreyGoose. I have not insured it yet so I need to get that done. I live in NH and work in Ma. I can ride in NH w/o insu but not Ma. Seems Progressive really went up on the rates. I paid 340.00 last year and this years it's 860.00 so I'm shopping around.

For the most part however it's still mild. Around 70 during the day. This Saturday I am planning on doing 200+ miles so I'll let ya know.

-=SF=-

Speedfreak,

GreyGoose
I'll keep this post updated GreyGoose. I have not insured it yet so I need to get that done. I live in NH and work in Ma. I can ride in NH w/o insu but not Ma. Seems Progressive really went up on the rates. I paid 340.00 last year and this years it's 860.00 so I'm shopping around.

For the most part however it's still mild. Around 70 during the day. This Saturday I am planning on doing 200+ miles so I'll let ya know.

-=SF=-
Speedfreak,

sounds like a winner. i should be able to do some of my own testing this weekend. We're suppose to get into the mid 80's. My st1300 didnt turn devilish on me untill the ambient tempuratures reached 78. I got no heat out of that thing untill then. from that point on, it just got ugly (and even worse still went the fuel was 1/4 tank or below). I'm pretty heat sensative after my experience (unlike many other on the forum). Let me know what your findings are.

thanx

GreyGoose

More on the '05 vs '06 including the possible blue tint in the '06 windscreen

Rob Scott wrote in the [email protected] digest....

I remember that the question was asked about whether the tripmeters on

the 2006 bikes will roll past three digits. The answer is yes. I had

intentionally left my B trip meter run through multiple tanks of gas, and

this morning it rolled over and showed the thousands digit. I have no

idea if it'll show the ten-thousands digit, and I'm not gonna find out.

I also discovered yesterday that the 2006 windscreen appears to be

tinted a light blue ....I've been riding with the screen down most of

the time and I guess that I just never noticed, but it appears to be

a very light blue tint.

====================

When SF stopped by last week I had a chance to look through his '06 windshield and I concur, looks like blue tint to me. We did make sure it wasn't caused by the (beautiful) blue paint reflecting on the 'shield.

Speedfreak,

GreyGoose
Allright then, This Sat I did 200+ miles. The outside temp ranged from 81 - 88. I did the majority of the trip on backroads. The heat really is not bad. I remeber on the 05 that the temp gauge had to hit 4 bars before the fan came on. On the 06 it's now 8 bars, normal running range for my bike is 4 bars (middle of the gauge). When the bike get's hot enough to turn on the fan the bike does get warm but nothing like my 05 did. The heat on the 06 is felt on the inside of my calves but that probably becasue I don't feel it anywhere else. This 06 is easily throws only 10% of the heat my 05 did. I am very happy.

BTW did I mention I really like the gearing as well. I am 95% sure this bike is a keeper!

Time to get my autocom, power dist, and GPS installed now!

-=SF=-

Latest posts