Avons on the way

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
Hope you Avon-afficionados haven't lied to us...hope they're as good as y'all say, 'cause I just got off the phone with Guru Glen at Sunnyside and ordered the V45/46 combo for my '04.

Probably mount the suckers before next weekend, so I'll have a ride report for you.

Hoping for 14-15k miles out of 'em. :dribble: :blink:

Good luck getting them mounted that quickly. I ordered Avons twice from him, and both times, they took way longer to get to me than I thought possible. Better plan ahead when you order. Good luck.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Hope you Avon-afficionados haven't lied to us...hope they're as good as y'all say, 'cause I just got off the phone with Guru Glen at Sunnyside and ordered the V45/46 combo for my '04.
Probably mount the suckers before next weekend, so I'll have a ride report for you.

Hoping for 14-15k miles out of 'em. :dribble: :blink:

I think you'll like the way they handle and ride, but no way in hell you get that kind of mileage out of them unless you ride with a very soft throttle hand and use mostly the front brakes to slow down and stop. I'm trying to train myself to do that more. If I could ever get close to 10,000 miles out of a set I'd be happy. Good luck.

GP :)

I rode 5000 miles on Avon last September, had to baby them to get that, freeway cruisin. Backroads would return around 3000 miles so expectations seem a bit out of line.

Neville

I have about 8k on a set of Avons. Not sure how much more is on them but they are not down to the wear bars yet. I'll have to decide in the next few weeks whether or not to replace them before the WV ramble.

Last two Avon fronts - Over 18,000 each. Last one replaced at 18,600.

Last and current Avon rears - Over 12,000 each. Last one did 12,750 when it decided it wanted to get screwed (literally), and the current one has 12,900 and should be showing cords any day now.

YMMV (Literally)

Last and current Avon rears - Over 12,000 each. Last one did 12,750 when it decided it wanted to get screwed (literally), and the current one has 12,900 and should be showing cords any day now.

YMMV (Literally)
Pussy! :D

Way to use a tyre up, skooterg. Won't be changing my new rear till I see some cord....

YMMV (Literally)
Pussy! :D
+1!

You, like dickhe, er, skooter are a couple of old farts living in Retirementville, USA. Mostly straight roads with 25 MPH limits and speed bumps every 14 fuckin' feet. I'd say those will last you til the old lady plants your sorry, slow ass under the palmetto out in the back yard.

Nope, Florida and Arizona. Folks don't retire here and none of our roads are straight, like most of the men here...

:fuck:

YMMV (Literally)

Yeah, but you have them mounted on your Vespa...

Radio Howie:

How much did it cost you from Glenn the Guru?

Does that include shipping etc?

Thanks- need another set, approx 8000 on these and wear bars are worn down on back, not too much left on the front but not to wear bars yet.

Toophast

I loved my Avons on my 05. I thought it made a noticeable difference in handling....but I don't know how you guys get ten thousand plus miles on a tire....

Ride Safe,

Ron

I'm telling you, ronjrieth, they got these things mounted to vespas. The only FJR these guys have is an 8x10 glossy hanging over the mantle.

Seriously, I am not going to see that mileage out of my Avons either. I did notice a big difference in handling. I'm not real sure that I prefer it, though. They're alright tires, but I don't know if I will get them on the next go around.

I wish they made a E3 that fit.

Just got a set of Avons from Guru Glenn. Total, for both tires and shipping to NY was $251.17

I'm a fairly conservative rider.....got 8,000 miles on my Avons. The front tire is shot ( starting to cup badly, run at around 40 PSI ) and the rear looks to have maybe 1 to 2,000 miles left. Swapping them both out next week.

I ordered a set of Avons from Guru Glenn last week Monday. They showed up today. That is impressively fast, considering there was a holiday weekend in there. $243 shipped to Wisconsin.

YMMV (Literally)

13,700 and STILL no cords! :angry2: What's a guy gotta do to see some friggin cords for crying out loud? Surely, ANY DAY now.

I can't believe how these have worn. I have been saying, "I'll see cords any day now" for a couple months. Way back when, I was sure this rear tire wouldnt' go past 11,000 miles nor see the end of March. It sure wears slow at the end. I guess because there is more surface area to absorb the forces since the tire has flattend out, and so therefore wears slower.

Geeze, I got the Cal24 rally coming up in a week and a half, and I will have to put a new rear on before that. I better see some cords before then, darnit!

Everybody wish me luck. :blink:

BTW - Front and rear Avons from SWMotoTire to anywhere outside of Arizona, $225 shipped.

And finally moving this thread to its proper home........

Last edited by a moderator: