V-Stream vs CB vs Stock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Reaction score
<_< OK, guys, I know I must be nuts for puting this much work into an informational thread, but I feel I have to give something back for all the good info you all put out there.

So, here is as much information as I can give about the V-Stream vs a Cee Baileys (+1w +2h with flip) vs the stock windshield on my 05 FJR1300A. (As a reminder, for those who have an 03, I believe my stock windshield is about 2" taller than the stock 03)

OK, I first layed out the V-Stream on a black mat in order to try to give a good idea of the shape. I included a couple tape measures for reference. NOTE: The bottom of the tape measure is centered on the bottom center screw hole. There is a variance in the amount of windshield that sticks below the 'W' so I wanted everyone to be able to measure JUST the height difference. (Apples to Apples)

I then layered the CB and finally the stock windshield over the V-Stream. You get a good idea of the size and shape difference between them.

Lastly, I installed each screen with just 1 screw in the lowest position to show the difference in height. Sorry, I didn't take time to do the full-up position on each.

First, the V-Stream

img_0720s.JPG

Large Version

Now the Cee Baileys (+1w +2h with flip)

img_0721s.JPG

Large Version

Finally the stock windshield on top

img_0725s.JPG

Large Version

Now the differences on the bike

Stock

img_0727s.JPG

Large Version

Cee Baileys (+1w +2h with flip)

img_0728s.JPG

Large Version

V-Stream

img_0729s.JPG

Large Version

As you can see, there is quite a difference between them. As for my opinion of the V-Stream...

...I am undecided for now.

My setup... yours may vary:

I'm 5'10"

Stock bars (no risers)

Stock windshield mechanism (no modifications to angle, etc)

Stock seat

At low speeds (0-50), the V-Stream has VERY clean air moving over it compared to the CB. I think the flip on the CB dirties it up a bit. However, the CB is shorter and easier to see over. I like that. To get rid of any real air on the helmet, either just needs to be moved up a few inches. Again, slow-speeds they perform about the same, however, the V-Stream is "In the line-of-sight" a lot quicker and the CB is not. Move them both up full and you, again, get about the same performance. The big difference is that you are looking through the V-Stream. In fact, it is about like looking out a car window. Not neccessarily bad, just posting fact.

At higher speeds things change a bit. The V-Stream still has VERY clean air over the top when it is down. The only noise you get is what you get out of the helmet. I would say similiar to riding a full-on sport bike. The CB tends to have some buffetting and creates a little more noise. Raise them up and things get quiet. The V-Stream seems to have less backpressure from a few inches to full-up when compared to the CB. Both block the wind about the same. The V-Stream shines a bit more when it comes to how wide the protection is. The protection extends into cornering maneuvers where the CB does not seems to do as well. On the down-side, the V-Stream seems to add a new dimension to cornering when at speed and raised up. It is hard to put my finger on, but was described by another as a slight "resistance" to lean when cornering. It isn't a deal breaker, just something to get used to.

I've switched back to the CB after a couple hundred miles of riding with the V-Stream in order to compare some more. I'll swap as needed to decide which one I stick with. Furthermore, I may modify the CB in order to add venting just above the 'W' like the Rifle windshields. This would be in an attempt to cut back on the backpressure. We'll see.

A couple other notes:

The V-Stream is HIGH QUALITY! and very thick... and also heavy. I don't fly, but IMHO, I would use it on an aircraft without worry. The optical quality is first-rate. On that note, my CB is just as good but not as thick or heavy.

The V-Stream, in light to heavy rain, gives about the same protection as the CB. I think the only way to stay "dry" is to ride a Gold Wing. Both keep the rain from hitting you in the face or body with force, but rain still "drops" on you as expected.

The V-Stream is NOT for those in hot climates. Even in the full-down position, it pulls heat from the fire-breathing beast between your legs. Nice in the fall/winter/spring in MT, not so nice in the summer or in AZ-type heat. :unsure:

I'll have all three at WFO, as I will be trailering the FJR. This is a one-way trip for me... I'm timming my WFO visit with a move to CA.

Hope this helps! As always, this is just my opinion... and we all know what that's worth! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Duff

Nice job and thanks for sharing with us. I have and have had Cee Baileys...the best one I had was on my ST 1300 and it had a nascar type vent in the center which made it great.

The best shield I have had on an FJR was the Cal Sci...medium. The vents made it a great hot weather shield. Cant wait till they get their 06 on the market.

Ride Safe

Ron

Duff,

Good input! Thanks.

Any idea what those different shields do to fuel economy? I bet the V-Stream is the worst, but I wonder by how much?

Luckily, I'll be doing some testing of my own soon. :)

Duff,Good input! Thanks.

Any idea what those different shields do to fuel economy? I bet the V-Stream is the worst, but I wonder by how much?

Luckily, I'll be doing some testing of my own soon. :)
My last tank was down about 3 mpg, but that is NOT accurate. The mileage IS accurate, but the drop is not an accurate comparison due to the varying riding conditions I had. I would need to go ride one of my 500 mile loops and compare to a previous ride to figure out average.

Of course, it's raining all danged weekend here so my 4-day ride went out the window and I am stuck doing silly things like swap windshields and post pictures. :blink:

You would think the V-Stream would definitely have an effect. After all, the Gold Wing isn't a mileage champion with all the wind it displaces. Seems ours would go down with a bigger sail up front also.

Well, that was a great write up, I too received and installed the V Stream this past Friday.

I went for a ride around the brown county loop Saturday morning and also a ride around crestwood/owenton/frantfort Ky today.

Both rides were spirited and yes it was hot 85-90 and humid as always this time of year in the mid west.

I had the stock 05 for about 6 months before changing it out to the c b 4+4 ice blue, loved the color. Shield was used from Sept until this past Friday.

I did not like the stock shield unless not wearing a helmet, which I choose not to ride with out it.

I liked the cb, however the backpressure was terrible when it was up.

V stream I'm just as hot with this shield as I was with both the stock,cb4+4, my bike read a constant 3 bars today, and I was sweating just riding. With the V Stream down it is as stated great wind hitting me right between neck and eyes.

With Stream up very slight backpressure, not gone but nothing like the other two. No buffeting at all either up or down.

The V stream changes what you hear when riding, engine noise, tire noise, BTW no more whistle.

With this shield up the air seem to hit me just under the armpits, good air.

I do have the shield tilted back about a quarter inch using spacers like the tuning block would be.

I will ride with this even in the heat, I'll just be adding another heat fix like the 06 has, preventing the heat from going to under the tank.

I ride with the VStream full up. As Duff has stated, there is something "there" when cornering. There is some resistance to turn. It is not really bad, nothing that I think would even be noticed if this was the only screen you had ever used, but a difference you can detect after using the stocker. It is just not as "quick" or "effortless" in the transition into a lean. I am not sure of what terms should be used to describe the condition. However, it is not anything that bothers me.

And Toe, my unscientific observations are that with the VStream full up vs. Stock down, I have lost about 4mpg. A couple more when wind gusts are bad.

It is a trade out. For me, I like the silence and the neck relief. (Of course, I have neck problems that others do not.) The lack of noise, back pressure and buffeting are worth it for me.

Did tuning the shield improve the flow to a meaningful degree? just wondering if its worth the effort.

Well, that was a great write up, I too received and installed the V Stream this past Friday.

I went for a ride around the brown county loop Saturday morning and also a ride around crestwood/owenton/frantfort Ky today.

Both rides were spirited and yes it was hot 85-90 and humid as always this time of year in the mid west.

I had the stock 05 for about 6 months before changing it out to the c b 4+4 ice blue, loved the color. Shield was used from Sept until this past Friday.

I did not like the stock shield unless not wearing a helmet, which I choose not to ride with out it.

V stream I'm just as hot with this shield as I was with both the stock,cb4+4, my bike read a constant 3 bars today, and I was sweating just riding. With the V Stream down it is as stated great wind hitting me right between neck and eyes.

With Stream up very slight backpressure, not gone but nothing like the other two. No buffeting at all either up or down.

The V stream changes what you hear when riding, engine noise, tire noise, BTW no more whistle.

I do have the shield tilted back about a quarter inch using spacers like the tuning block would be.

I will ride with this even in the heat, I'll just be adding another heat fix like the 06 has, preventing the heat from going to under the tank.

Did tuning the shield improve the flow to a meaningful degree? just wondering if its worth the effort.

I think it does for me, I had the spacers there on the cb4+4, and it helped withthe air flow, i think withthe v stream that may be why I can sense a slight back pressure that others do not, I might try to take them out and see the difference, however i will say as others that have tried it, it is the better of the 3 I have tried.

I do not like spending money on these types of things, that said this is the last i will purchase, as I think it has solved my concerns dislikes, as far as it pertains to the winndsheild on this bike.

BTW, I was able to wash this yesterday without it scratching like the stock and cb did, sponge and soapy water.

Thanks Duff, great write-up.... and one which I too completely agree with....

Being relatively lazy, I leave the V-Stream on, as I find I get enough air when down and like to have the protection from the rain and wind when needed, so it is generally left on. However, I do also have the Cal-Sci "Large", and that is about as good except possibly for maximum protection when raining.

I haven't done enough comparison tests to discover whether it affects the mpg, but suspect it doesn't affect it too much as I am still getting 50+ mpg, unless pressing on a bit :unsure: - I can only assume that as it is smoothing out the air stream, it is helping to reduce drag and therefore doesn't impact on mpg as much as its size might suggest.

This is a useful thread for those setting out to discover a good screen for them....

Nick

Glad to help. It was funny seeing the thread, I thought "That looks familiar" then I saw that I started it. Anyway, I'm glad the internet keeps this stuff around for others to benefit from.

P.S. I'm riding an 08 now, but still using the CB with flip. Love it! No need for venting on my Gen II though.