Taming the beast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
I spent some time this week doing a series of mods and adjustments to the 06 to see how much of the herky-jerky I could get rid of.

I started by doing the Barbarian Mod and increased all the settings by 7 increments, and that went a long way to making the bike run smoother and get rid of some of the vibration and slight lean surging.

I then synchronized the throttle bodies, though they really were not very far off. Next, I released the center throttle spring, and got rid of all the slack in the throttle cable that I could. By the way, after I released the center throttle spring, I went back and re-checked my throttle body sync to see if it changed it any, and it did not.

The throttle now has significantly less spring force on it, but still returns like it should. I do notice that now there is some disparity between the heavier clutch springs on the left and the light throttle spring force on the right grip that takes some getting used to. You also need to exercise some care after releasing the center throttle spring, as it is easy to grab too much throttle until you adjust to the new feel.

The end result, is now the bike has less vibration and runs just a wee bit cooler, and there is less herky-jerky shifting and the bike is a bit easier to ride smoothly. I suspect the reason that Yamaha made the throttle springs so heavy was to match the force needed for the clutch and throttle, and to give the rider a feel for the power of the engine, as by making the throttle a bit stiffer, it tends to give you some feedback that you do have a considerable amount of power at your disposal and helps you adjust to the pull of the engine.

The clutch still acts a lot like an on/off switch and doesn't seem to have a very large engagement zone and heavy springs. Some of this is just a matter of getting used to, but it can make transitioning back and forth from another bike a bit more difficult. I also suspect that Mobile One oil or another high quality synthetic is only going to make this problem worse, as many synthetic oils can further reduce the slip zone of the clutch.

All in all, I think these three items (1. Increase fuel mixture settings, 2. release center throttle spring, 3. throttle body sync) are a good thing for most folks and that you will find the bike more controllable and easier to ride after you do them. Just be REALLY careful the first time you ride the bike afterwards until you get used to the new feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Fred. I always enjoy your informative posts. I now have a weekend rain poject. BTW do you have any results on the cee bailey windshields.

I also suspect that Mobile One oil or another high quality synthetic is only going to make this problem worse, as many synthetic oils can further reduce the slip zone of the clutch.

Huh?

Why would a synthetic oil reduce the slip zone of a clutch?

Explain please.

The FJR has a wet clutch, which means that the more slippery the oil the less friction the clutch plate will have when engaging.

Ahhhh.........."the more slippery the oil".

Sorry, but that's complete horseshit!

Find me just one shred of fact that says synthetic oil is more ***slippery*** than conventional oil and I will retract the above.

It ain't gonna happen.

Hi Fred, good write-up. I actually did the exact same three things this past weekend, and found your results to be similar. To me, the bike does feels smoother in the low (<3000) rpm range, with less surging. I have not noticed any difference in fuel economy or temperature. I do find that with a lighter throttle return spring, I have to fight the throttle much less, thus on/off transitions are less jerky. I also find that my long commute (75 miles one way) on Monday was much more comfortable, as my wrist did not get tired.

The FJR has a wet clutch, which means that the more slippery the oil the less friction the clutch plate will have when engaging.
Well, prove to me that synthetic oils are more slippery. I have it on good advice from several sources, including a GM engineer who tests engines and oils for a living, that synthetics are no more 'slippery' than other oils, but differ only in the stability of the long-chain hydrocarbons, with give synthetics the ability to tolerate heat above a certain temperature (I think about 350deg F, IIRC) without breaking down, and allows them to use less additives to achieve a multi-grade rating.

Uh oh, this is about to go to NEPT!!!!

Fred,

I appreciate the time you put into this particular issue. It's an annoying problem on my o6. anything we can do to reduce it is a tremendous asset. throttle spring adjustment increased ridability 75%. Barbarian mod will be attempted tonight with pappy (fjrforum member). I'll be riding those same roads next week that you noticed your problem on. Hopefully this final mod will do the trick. We'll also be attempting to install the new doug hines risers (i got the first set). We'll let everyone know how that goes. Once again....thanx for these tweaks...they have made a big big difference.

does anyone know which instructions (2003 or 2004) should be followed for the barbarian mod on a 2005 (pappy's bike)? forum docs only show for 2003 and 2004.

GreyGoose

Annnnddddd heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre's Jestal. :lol:

Well, prove to me that synthetic oils are more slippery. I have it on good advice from several sources, including a GM engineer who tests engines and oils for a living, that synthetics are no more 'slippery' than other oils, but differ only in the stability of the long-chain hydrocarbons, with give synthetics the ability to tolerate heat above a certain temperature (I think about 350deg F, IIRC) without breaking down, and allows them to use less additives to achieve a multi-grade rating.

Uh oh, this is about to go to NEPT!!!!

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Don't forget about their superior cold flowing benefits too. At temps like -20 or so or something like that. Like any FJR will be started at those temps.

Now, as for the Barbarian Jumper Mod, I am going to have to call foul on youse guys butt dynos. It is not the holy grail solution. Get a PCIII!

See my post in This Thread, and flame on!

Don't forget about their superior cold flowing benefits too. At temps like -20 or so or something like that. Like any FJR will be started at those temps.

Haven't gotten that low, but did start the feej at 17 degrees. The feej made no complaints about the oil. I asked.

I also suspect that Mobile One oil or another high quality synthetic is only going to make this problem worse, as many synthetic oils can further reduce the slip zone of the clutch.
Just make sure any synthetic you use is formulated for diesel instead of gasoline engines. The friction modifiers added to gasoline engine oil can make your clutch go AWOL. There's an emblem on oil cans which states "For Gasoline Engines" Stay away from this type!
Personally, I use conventional (diesel formulation) oil. YMMV :D

Bofore this thread goes off to the other place I'll addy two cents. Some oils have anti-friction additives. This can be true for either dino or synthetic. Those oils should not be used in a bike with a wet clutch as they will make it slip. I can say that from first hand experience, though not on my FJR.

"Taming the Beast, Getting the Jerk out"

my first thougt was...

"They can't throw Skoot out, he's an admin."

dino.jpg

my first thougt was...

Yeah...but the "Jerk" part is right. :)

:fuck:

my first thougt was...

Ohhhhh.........it's a funny boy! And apparently one that didn't learn during round 1 of avatar adjustment.

Be afraid Scab. Be very afraid.

:fuck:

:D

do it skooter! do it!

make his wife look like a man or somethin!! :lol: