Removing the Givi V46 Lid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
There's not alot of info on removing the V46 lid to install a color matched lid, or to replace a damaged one. So I've decided to make a simple no frills writeup. Admins feel free to add to the FAQ.

First off, you're better off removing the bag from the bike, and working on a nice firm surface. That way when the parts fall, they don't have far to go, and nothing gets dammaged. Notice that I didn't take that advice :blink:

First step is to remove the 5 screws retaining the lid and reflector assemblies to the top of the box

DSC_3188.jpg

Gently pry the outer edge of the reflector down to free it from the lower tangs, it will pop free.

DSC_3191.jpg

DSC_3192.jpg

Gently pry the center reflector loose from the lower tangs. Be sure to put a hand on the lid as it will slide off easy once the center reflector pops free

DSC_3194.jpg

The pieces of the Givi label will fall out when the center reflector pops free. Nothing to worry about.

DSC_3195.jpg

This leaves you with a naked box. Note the warning label Givi put under the lid

DSC_3196.jpg

The rear center reflector is a 3 piece deal, it's not hard to assemble tho

DSC_3197.jpg

DSC_3198.jpg

DSC_3199.jpg

Put your new lid on, there's 2 tabs in the back side that fit into slots, then the lid "snaps" over the center reflector

DSC_3200.jpg

Now you can install the other 2 side reflectors.

DSC_3201.jpg

Note the silver backing, make sure it's there.

DSC_3202.jpg

Be sure the side reflectors engage the tabs under the lid

DSC_3203.jpg

Almost done, looking good

DSC_3204.jpg

Once everything is lined up again, install the 5 screws. The long ones go in the middle, and the shorter ones go on the outside edges. The tiny one goes dead center thru the center reflector. There's no need to over tighten the screws, since they are going into plastic, they are easy to strip, so use caution.

DSC_3188.jpg

I hope that makes life easy for all you folks trying to replace your V46 lids B)

That's too detailed. Can you be more ambiguous? Also, what's a screw driver?? By the way, where were you a year ago when I went to install mine????

Great write up!

Thanks Silent, I sure could have used this two days ago. The part that really threw me was trying to find the two screws that were never there. Once I found out they were missing then I just applied a little more pressure to the lid. There will be screws in the two holes when I put it back together. I will use this info to re-assemble.

Thanks

Mac

Great write up Silent.

I had a heck of a time getting the lid off of my V46.

Can you tell me where you got a Black Cherry Lid from?

Givi only made 50 of those, and they are impossible to find now.

Thanks

Great write up Silent.I had a heck of a time getting the lid off of my V46.

Can you tell me where you got a Black Cherry Lid from?

Givi only made 50 of those, and they are impossible to find now.

Thanks
I'm the one that poked and prodded Givi to make those Black Cherry lids B) To bad they couldn't get the color matching consistancy to continue making them. So, yep, I've got one of the original 50.

I bought one of those G46's sometime ago. I ended up with a lemon. Mine is junk. The lid latch if very difficult to use. Sometimes the latch gets stuck and I have to pry it with a small screwdriver in order to open the case.

On the first ride out, my custom colored lid flipped off and cracked the red reflector pieces. I orded a new lid and I secured it by drilling a hole on the top of the case and installing a 1/4" yellow zinc plated bolt and hardware

The red reflector pieces come unsnapped alot and dangle in the wind.

**rant off** lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much!!! Just put my 2004 custom lid on and followed your directions to a "T" (almost)... First time through missed the 2 "big tabs" in the back and wondered "What the F*@#" Thought the 2 tabs were the ones on the sides..haha Attention to detail I know!!! Anyway, got her done in about 15 minutes, thanks again!!!

Cool, thanks for the writeup. I got excited when I saw your black cherry colored lid, but then read that they are NOT available..

Another happy member !

I followed your instructions how to replace the stock V46 lid with a silver lid.

Without your help, I would have broken something !

Thank you !

mark

a.k.a.nummy