Steering Stabilizer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCK

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully added a steering stabilizer to the FJR. I have the 06 and would like to add the stabilizer to the steering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone successfully added a steering stabilizer to the FJR. I have the 06 and would like to add the stabilizer to the steering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Was wondering why you feel you need one?

I have one on my dirt bike for when I go on a rocky road it prevents the wheel from being jerked out of my hand and keeps it nice and straight.

On the fjr doing 130 it went nice and straight with no head shake.

Sport bikes usually have them because their geometry for cornering contributes to high speed wobble.

I don't know that the fjr suffers from this...

I have been wrong before though... Hard to believe I know...

I've never felt the need for a steering damper on the FJR. No headshake at speed, and I've documented an actual 148 mph by GPS, with bags. :yahoo:

You might get one for the bling value, or peace of mind, but I've never encountered a stability requirement for a steering damper on the FJR.

Only wobble I ever got was the Avon slow down wobble...I know it's rough, but I just keep my hands on the bars when I slow down now ;)

I wouldn't buy one. If it ain't broke then....

Welcome the forum.

Nice picture of a Colorado pass.

I have been looking at adapting Scott's R1 offering for my '06A. But it will be a winter activity and only if the money holds out.

rublenoon

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome the forum.
Nice picture of a Colorado pass.

I have been looking at adapting Scott's R1 offering for my '06A. But it will be a winter activity and only if the money holds out.

rublenoon
Save your money, you won't feel any difference. If you do seem to feel something, more than likely you are hiding a problem not correctly something.

Steering head bolt loose, tires out of balance, not the correct psi in tire, bearings etc.

The fjr is rock solid all the way to its limit.

If you look enough on this forum you will see many reports from guys that have pushed the fjr to it 156 or so limit and have reported stable.

Just my 2cents...

Save your money, you won't feel any difference. If you do seem to feel something, more than likely you are hiding a problem not correctly something.Steering head bolt loose, tires out of balance, not the correct psi in tire, bearings etc.

The fjr is rock solid all the way to its limit.

If you look enough on this forum you will see many reports from guys that have pushed the fjr to it 156 or so limit and have reported stable.

Just my 2cents...
I couldn't agree more. This bike should not need a stabilizer. I would confirm all other possible issues are fixed first.

I have a scotts, had it on my ZX-11 to help with the head shake the luggage brought in... If you decide to go that route... I'll save you some dough ;)

You would just need the fitment kit.

But as others have said unless you did something to make it need one, I don't see why you would.

Has anyone successfully added a tits to a warthog? I have the warthog and would like to add the tits to the belly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :dribble:

Can ya smell the smugness in this thread?

All you "my FJR is perfect" guys crack me up, telling us the Feej don't need no steering damper, yet you spend thousands on other mods to make it "just right!"

Unfortunately, I didn't get the "perfect" FJR that you guys did. I'm one of the 1 out of 100 FJR pilots whose bike wobbles at certain speeds.

As I've written on this subject in other threads, I've had the opportunity to ride 4 different FJRs since I started my search to buy one a year ago. Every one of those four, an '03, two '05s, and the '04 I eventually made my own, experienced a front wheel/fork assembly "oscillation" around 48-50mph.

So while you guys with the "perfect" FJRs can unequivocally state that the FJR doesn't need a steering damper, I can unequivocally state that 100% of all FJRs I've ever driven indeed DO need steering dampers.

Now as to MY FJR -- 3 different brands of tires...correctly torqued steering head bearings...a multitude of different suspension settings. It wobbles. Plain and simple. Bags or not. Full tank or not. Pick your air pressure. Sit up close to the tank. Slide back from the tank. Wear a copper bracelet and power-crystal necklace. It wobbles. Not enough to throw the bike into a tank slapper, but a steering damper would get MY FJR closer to the smug perfection that you jackholes enjoy. Maybe 1 out of every 100 built gets a nice twist in the frame before delivery.

Of course, I think those of you putting satellite radios on YOUR FJRs are just a bunch of spoiled pussies.

There's your warthog titties.

:fuck:

All you "my FJR is perfect" guys crack me up, telling us the Feej don't need no steering damper, yet you spend thousands on other mods to make it "just right!"

Unfortunately, I didn't get the "perfect" FJR that you guys did. I'm one of the 1 out of 100 FJR pilots whose bike wobbles at certain speeds.

As I've written on this subject in other threads, I've had the opportunity to ride 4 different FJRs since I started my search to buy one a year ago. Every one of those four, an '03, two '05s, and the '04 I eventually made my own, experienced a front wheel/fork assembly "oscillation" around 48-50mph.

So while you guys with the "perfect" FJRs can unequivocally state that the FJR doesn't need a steering damper, I can unequivocally state that 100% of all FJRs I've ever driven indeed DO need steering dampers.

Now as to MY FJR -- 3 different brands of tires...correctly torqued steering head bearings...a multitude of different suspension settings. It wobbles. Plain and simple. Bags or not. Full tank or not. Pick your air pressure. Sit up close to the tank. Slide back from the tank. Wear a copper bracelet and power-crystal necklace. It wobbles. Not enough to throw the bike into a tank slapper, but a steering damper would get MY FJR closer to the smug perfection that you jackholes enjoy. Maybe 1 out of every 100 built gets a nice twist in the frame before delivery.

Of course, I think those of you putting satellite radios on YOUR FJRs are just a bunch of spoiled pussies.

Man, you sure are smug about how special your FJR is. :lol: "Mr. 1 in 100" :lol:

Hmmmmm..... I'm thinking it's not the bike.

Maybe an MRI and a spinal tap could diagnose the problem.... :dribble:

What did everyone take a sad/mad pill? :(

If you want my justification, call it want!

Here is the current want list [note list will be modified as needed]:

1) install switched plug for Widder's : to be done prior to next mtn ride [Aug 27]

2) install hand guards like WC's site : same as above

3) purchase and install a new Russell seat : Dec2006/Jan2007

4) purchase and install a rear rack, likely Gerauld's ['06A's is useless] : by spring '07 riding season

5) purchase, install and reset-up bike Ohlin rear shock : after #3 [dollar affected]

6) steering damper : after #3 and maybe seeing what #4 does for bike [dollar affected]

7) review aftermarket aux lights and brackets : ???

most of my bike wants [not needs] will be meet in the '06A modified as above [maybe a comm system if I go to AK with someone next year].

I have just about completed setting up my bike. It has no mechanical issues. On pavement the front end is planted except for a hint of weave on decel, rear end is close but a little harsh and would greatly benefit from a better shock. I have done several multi-mile 130+ runs [rider selected limit, not bike's] and believe in the bike now [not so at first]. On dirt the front end in twitchy and the steering damper should help.

That said, it could be better IMO. :)

Lets see what else; tits on a warthog please see link

ride safe

rublenoon

I am at 48-50 MPH for approximately .00001 seconds on any given ride. So I better git one too.

Man, you sure are smug about how special your FJR is. :lol: "Mr. 1 in 100" :lol:
Hey, I'll gladly trade you my 1 in 100 wobbler for your 99 in 100 "perfect" FJR.

Nah, come to think of it, I'd rather have a wobbler than that ghastly blue.

According to Rad, mine's only gonna wobble .00001 seconds out of every ride, but yours is gonna be fugly ALL the time.