Dog Bone Suspension Swapping Guide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Webby

Right is Harder than Wrong.
Reaction score
Ok all,

I just completed this and thought I would share. I have wanted to slightly raise my corner clearance but didn't want to change the way my bike handled too much. Thus, I went with a set of 5/8's raise dog bones off of ebay.. Whether you want to raise or lower your Gen II FJR, the following may help.

Lets get a look at the new bones:

2009-05-29163907.jpg

Got them off of ebay.. I bought mine from ebay seller: supermoto36. He sells the 5/8th bones but I had to send him a message on ebay to

get purchase instructions for these specific ones. See related link here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;hl=dog+bones

Here is a pic of the stock bones once removed:

2009-05-29181124.jpg

I am sure you noticed... The shorter the bones (from stock), the more rise you get.

***There are hundreds of ways to skin a cat.. Below is how I did mine.

Tools that I used, 14 MM and 17 MM Sockets both with separate drivers:

2009-05-29194241.jpg

Lets take a look at the stock bones on the bike. They are pinch bolted together by two bolts, washers and lock bolts:

2009-05-29171110.jpg

I chose to jack up my bike from beneath the header (using a 2x4 in between the jack and header). I did this because...With the center stand down, I could not get the lower bolt past the center stand to remove it.. I also used my homemade front stand, not to raise the front, but only to center the bike upright while raising the rear section. Remember, you need to get the weight off of the rear tire (to support the bike with the dog bones removed and then position the rear wheel travel to insert the bolts with the new bones in place).

2009-05-29180945.jpg

downloadfile-10.jpg

The hardest part about this whole install was getting the bike safely and securely jacked up. Then just unbolt the nuts and bolts (a second person here helps out a lot), remove the stock bones, position the rear tire with your hand (up or down) so that the new dog bones fit and bolt them all back together. It looks like the service manual calls for these bolts to be torqued to 40 FT-LB. FYI, because these nuts were self locking and cramped corridors.. I chose to just tighten mine up, "Good-N-Tight." Probably a bit tighter than they needed to be but not tight enough to break the threads (been there done that shit!!). Use your own discretion here I suppose.

Here are the new dog bones installed:

2009-05-29181058.jpg

2009-05-31081429.jpg

As some here have report... The new increased lean angle, when on the side stand (rear of the bike now stands a bit higher). Sorry this pic was blurry. If you raise your bike more than 5/8's, this will be even greater:

downloadfile-19.jpg

The measurement of my rear tire (to the ground) when on the center stand with the need dog bones installed. BTW, My rear tire is a little over half worn out:

2009-05-29181515.jpg

*** Sorry all.. I forgot to get a pre-picture of this with the stock bones... Anyone with a Gen II please feel free to post one up.

I have only got a chance to put about 60 miles on these new bones so far.. My 1st impressions are... I should of done this about 20,000 miles ago!! The 5/8's inch raise is PERFECT for me!!! Turn in is slightly quicker and the added road clearance is sweet!! Maybe...I won't be melting my peg feelers (as much) anymore!! The overall rear raise is slight enough that it hasn't changed my high speed stability at all. Also, as others have noted.. Putting my bike up on the center stand is almost too easy now.

Thats it.. Enjoy!

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks WW.

This seems like a no-brainer. I like the idea of the increased lean on the side stand. Less likely to drop it when stopping on the side of a crowned roadway. Easier center stand is good too. More ground clearance for hard cornering? Well, if it's only 5/8" higher at one end (so divide by 2 for the center of the bike), I'm not sure how much difference that will make. Any of you geometry giants want to do the math for us? But every little bit is good, especially when you are fully loaded and/or 2-up.

Thanks WW.
This seems like a no-brainer. I like the idea of the increased lean on the side stand. Less likely to drop it when stopping on the side of a crowned roadway. Easier center stand is good too. More ground clearance for hard cornering? Well, if it's only 5/8" higher at one end (so divide by 2 for the center of the bike), I'm not sure how much difference that will make. Any of you geometry giants want to do the math for us? But every little bit is good, especially when you are fully loaded and/or 2-up.

Fred,

I agree... It was well worth doing. I won't claim to be the geometry master by any means... Though, it seems like the foot pegs were raised more than half of the 5/8's.

It will be interesting to do some side by side measuring with another Gen II with the stock bones. Say both, stood up level and measuring from the ground to the bottom of the foot peg or similiar frame spot...

Thx for your input,

Webby

I just did the same thing to my bike. The dog bones were 15mm shorter centerline to centerline. Or about 5/8" and it raised the very end of the bike 1.5". I took my measure ment from the tip of the rear rack. I just measure my tire from the floor and it measured the same as yours so even though I didn't get them fromt the same place they seem to both be 5/8" dogbones. Which I wouldn't go any more than that. I wouldn't have minded like a 10mm one. but I look forward to riding with the guys to see if I'm still grinding my footpegs down.

Eric

I just did the same thing to my bike. The dog bones were 15mm shorter centerline to centerline. Or about 5/8" and it raised the very end of the bike 1.5". I took my measure ment from the tip of the rear rack. I just measure my tire from the floor and it measured the same as yours so even though I didn't get them fromt the same place they seem to both be 5/8" dogbones. Which I wouldn't go any more than that. I wouldn't have minded like a 10mm one. but I look forward to riding with the guys to see if I'm still grinding my footpegs down.
Eric
Eric,

Are you sure your bike was raised up 1.5 inches in the rear? The only reason

I ask is because some here, who have reported raising theirs 1-1.5 inches, have

noted that their rear tire touches the ground when up on the center stand.

WW

Eric
Eric,

Are you sure your bike was raised up 1.5 inches in the rear? The only reason

I ask is because some here, who have reported raising theirs 1-1.5 inches, have

noted that their rear tire touches the ground when up on the center stand.

WW

with my new, larger front tire(1 1/2" taller) the stock rear tire touches the ground when on the centerstand...don

Yes I'm pretty sure. I believe I got 38" from the floor up to the point of the luggage rack and when I was done installing the new dogbones I got 39.5" but again that is at the end of the bike so that is probably not the the true suspension rise.

Eric

Based on this picture, it seems that the 1.25" rise would be too much to allow for clearance... I wonder how much rise I could afford before I had clearance issues...

Sorry I missed the install. I was looking forward to it too. I knew that if I went on a quick Canada run, you would get those in the mail the same day.

Here's a shot of the rear tire when a stock GenII is resting on it's centerstand:

DSC04699.JPG

I apologize for being too lazy to roll the bike over to a smoother section of garage floor.

Joe,

Wish I would of been able to make that ride with you. Sounds like you did a good job

dodging them thunder storms. Appreciate you taking the time to measure it up.

Thanks again for posting this pic. Clears up some speculation.

By the looks of it.... Calling it to the closest 1/32's.... If both our tires are worn to a similiar level...

Your stock suspension boned Gen II = 1.28125

My 5/8's raised suspension boned Gen II = .46875

Looks like the 5/8's ebay bones result in a 0.8125 raise at the rear.

Ride safe,

WW

Congrats on the new and improved install. Probably a silly question here but I'm getting ready to do a service on these, (never been done), shame on me, but question is the method you used to raise the bike up can this be used to lube these bones and do you have to take the center stand off? Thanks in advance and sorry to side track from topic. PM. <>< :unsure:

Congrats on the new and improved install. Probably a silly question here but I'm getting ready to do a service on these, (never been done), shame on me, but question is the method you used to raise the bike up can this be used to lube these bones and do you have to take the center stand off? Thanks in advance and sorry to side track from topic. PM. <>< :unsure:
Painman,

Should be able to do it the same way. Won't need to remove side stand. Just jack the bike up.

(Update).. With this amount of rear raise, I can still scrape the pegs (without low siding) but... I

have to be very aggressive and get her healed way over :crazy: !! My Gen II doesn't seem to need

anymore of a lift...anymore.

These bones are a very nice upgrade.

WW

So it appears that the 1.25" links MIGHT work.... Any opinions on the matter?

Below is from that other closed thread:

1) I recently read a thread about dog bones to add a little ground clearance. So just wondering if it made enough difference to be worth while.
2) Did it improve handling? ( more nimble, faster turn in )

3) Did it hurt the straight line stability?

4) Was it enough to notice increased lean angle? ( less likely to touch down while riding curves )

5) is there any way to raise the front end as well?

Jride,

I listed your above five questions by numbers and will answer them the best I can....

1) Yes!!

2) Yes, yes and yes!!

3) Nope.

4) Yes. Helped me gain more of a lean angle.

5) Not really.... Maybe stiffer springs, heavier oil or stiffer settings.

Remember, I used the 5/8th smaller dog bones. Which resulted in raising the rear of the bike a little over .8125 of an inch. This amount of rise seems perfect. I can still touch down on my (very much so worn down) curb feelers... My bike is now using all of the front tire tread (no more chicken strips on it). When I was running the stock bones.. I could drag the bike, have no rear tire chicken strips but I noticed that the front tire never would get all the way over on the tread... Now it does, and does so without lowsiding!!! It should be noted that I have to really heal her over and be VERY aggresive to get her touch her down now...

This amount of rise was perfect for me!

WW

I just did the same mod to my bike. I got my links (dogbones) from a different supplier but regardless I'm very happy with the extra ground clearance. I did the same 5/8" dogbones. The bike still handles great and rides great. I just don't touch down on the footpeg feelers now. Atleast I haven't yet. Plus it helps when riding two-up worth ever penny

Eric

Below is from that other closed thread:

1) I recently read a thread about dog bones to add a little ground clearance. So just wondering if it made enough difference to be worth while.
2) Did it improve handling? ( more nimble, faster turn in )

3) Did it hurt the straight line stability?

4) Was it enough to notice increased lean angle? ( less likely to touch down while riding curves )

5) is there any way to raise the front end as well?

Jride,

I listed your above five questions by numbers and will answer them the best I can....

1) Yes!!

2) Yes, yes and yes!!

3) Nope.

4) Yes. Helped me gain more of a lean angle.

5) Not really.... Maybe stiffer springs, heavier oil or stiffer settings.

Remember, I used the 5/8th smaller dog bones. Which resulted in raising the rear of the bike a little over .08XX .8XX of an inch. This amount of rise seems perfect. I can still touch down on my (very much so worn down) curb feelers... My bike is now using all of the front tire tread (no more chicken strips on it). When I was running the stock bones.. I could drag the bike, have no rear tire chicken strips but I noticed that the front tire never would get all the way over on the tread... Now it does, and does so without lowsiding!!! It should be noted that I have to really heal her over and be VERY aggresive to get her touch her down now...

This amount of rise was perfect for me!

WW
Fixed it, (Looks like the 5/8's ebay bones result in a 0.8125 raise at the rear.) previous post.