Windshield Extender?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a V-stream but wished it were a bit taller. I found this "wind shield extender" which looks like it could work. Has anyone ever used anything like this? Suggestions for other methods are appreciated.
https://www.mra.de/html/gb/gb-products.htm

I would try a laminar lip. Laminarlip.com

They have hundreds of different models. The lip extends the shield height only by about an inch, but the laminar effect throws the air higher. I have used them on two bikes with very good results.

Madmike2 has posted using the extender on his bike using (I believe) a cee baily windscreen.

It allowed him to use a shorter screen in the summer months for more airflow and the extender allowed for more protection in the full up where the short screen would have been useless.

I think the key was you had to use a like windscreen, with the same contour, that would be sacrificed to use for the extender.

Look up his member profile and PM him, or sift through his "posted replys".

Your answer "should be yes" about using the vstream, but look for his post on how he did it.

Madmike2 has posted using the extender on his bike using (I believe) a cee baily windscreen.
It allowed him to use a shorter screen in the summer months for more airflow and the extender allowed for more protection in the full up where the short screen would have been useless.

I think the key was you had to use a like windscreen, with the same contour, that would be sacrificed to use for the extender.

Look up his member profile and PM him, or sift through his "posted replys".

Your answer "should be yes" about using the vstream, but look for his post on how he did it.
Thanks! PM Sent.

Even if the contour of the windshield isn't "perfect", a clever person could heat the Vario with some very hot water and alter its arc to fit whatever windshield one was going to install it on.

Remember that the Vario adjustable extender changes its angle as it raises. If the V-stream has much of a "flip" it may not function as well as it does on the stock contour.

Even if the contour of the windshield isn't "perfect", a clever person could heat the Vario with some very hot water and alter its arc to fit whatever windshield one was going to install it on.
Remember that the Vario adjustable extender changes its angle as it raises. If the V-stream has much of a "flip" it may not function as well as it does on the stock contour.
There is no flip in the vstream.

Just how tall are you?

I'm 6'4 and sit tall. My Vstream in the highest position allows me to look over it yet I feel it gives very good protection.Any higher and I'd have to look through it, which for me, would be highly unsatisfactory. But, to each his own.

The FJR is not a Goldwing and is/should never give you that kind of envelope. Sometimes I wish it would, but then, if that is what I'm after, I figure I might as well purchase the Wing

Just food for thought.

Mark

Just how tall are you?
I'm 6'4 and sit tall. My Vstream in the highest position allows me to look over it yet I feel it gives very good protection.Any higher and I'd have to look through it, which for me, would be highly unsatisfactory. But, to each his own.

The FJR is not a Goldwing and is/should never give you that kind of envelope. Sometimes I wish it would, but then, if that is what I'm after, I figure I might as well purchase the Wing

Just food for thought.

Mark
I'm 6'-2" and the top of the V-stream hits me just below the height of my chin at full up. Like I said, the V-stream is fine at moderate speed and on rural roads but, for me, the high speed experienced on the interstate caused too much buffeting. I'm not looking for that perfect bubble but I am looking for clean air that doesn't buffet my helmet. I actually want air flow to keep me cool but I want it to be clean.

The V-stream does not have a flip so I may go the Vario route and post back the results.

Hi,

Sorry to revive an old thread but I am wondering if using a windscreen extender would compromise the integrity of the hinges on the stock windscreen?

I just fitted an MRA X-Creen Touring Bolt-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade Windshield Extension recently, done some low speed riding. Found the windscreen does wobble a bit more on the lowest position (which is expected, i guess).

Any thoughts on the long term usage of the extender on the mechanism of the FJR windscreen motor, etc.?

Thanks.