It's Not Two-Wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test rode one recently as part of the Aussie Spyder Experience they are running ATM . I rode the RS SE with the semi auto shifter thing .

I was impressed with the fun factor to be had but reckon it would be hard work on a tight and twisty road. But what a weapon on a wet tight an twisty road rounding up sports bikes as they teeter around hehehhe. I also found the shifter wasnt as smooth as the FJ by a long way but the throttle blip on the down shift was cool .

There will be something similar on my shopping list when I get to old to hold up the FJ if thats what you need then go for it Tyler

Any FJRs with a sidecar out there? Best option, IMO....

I just happen to have a side car for sale. We could put together a tech session and get it mounted up for her. :clapping:
'Zactly whut I was thinkin'!

That Triumph would pull a side hack AND it's removable/sellable for when THAT day arrives.

I'm in for part of the bracketry expenses.

[SIZE=8pt]Jess tryin' tuh hep![/SIZE]

Tyler congrats on keeping an open mind on your riding future. I suggest you try another forum, spyderlovers.com. I monitored it for about a year as I was also considering a Spyder. I rode one in summer of 07 when they were doing demo rides around the country before it actually came out. It is a hoot to ride. But there have been some serious problems with steering lock ups and computer problems which puts the Spyder in limp mode. That can be a little disconcerting if you are riding on an interstate in heavy traffic at 70+ mph and suddenly slow down to about 45 mph.

I agree that it is a neat vehicle but these two problems can be life threatening. Especially the steering lock up. Also ask the dealer to give you a quote on services which must be done by them like the 12,000 mile service. You can not do it without their computer program. I heard quotes of $1,000 to $1,200 for that service. I thought that was just a little steep!!!! I am not trying to dissuade you from buying one but just want you to go into it with full info. If you do want to buy one there were some really good deals on used ones.You do want one with the extended warranty in case you have some of the problems with the computer system.

Good luck and keep us all informed as we are all rooting for you.

Now I have to go find that change jar and see if there’s anything left after my purchase with OF RenoJohn… :D
Fixed it for yah T! Geesh, I can't believe so many let that one slip on by!

You look great on the Spyder - really. Well, actually, with a smile like that you'ld look great on anything! :yahoo:

Now I have to go find that change jar and see if there’s anything left after my purchase with OF RenoJohn… :D
Fixed it for yah T! Geesh, I can't believe so many let that one slip on by!
Are you insinuating that I got into RJ's shorts?? <_<

;)
Shorts? I thought RJ had a Gen I that didn't suffer the ground shorts of the Gen II bikes. :dntknw:

Hey, Ty, lookie here: https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/custom-moto...sQ5fAccessories

Wouldn't that look good on the Trophy!?!?!?

Miss Tyler, here is some food for thought. I bought a Velorex 562 sidecar for my Harley when expecting the birth of my child. I did not know if I was getting a boy or a girl, I just knew my child was going to be riding alongside of me from Day One. My Son Seth is now thirteen and he, and the German Shepherd Cal, rode in that sidecar together from the day Seth could sit in a car seat. Eighteen months ago Seth flat out refused to ride in our sidecar, he wanted to be on the passenger seat like all of the other kids that he saw out riding.

If you had an interest in operating an FJR with a sidecar, you could use my Velorex 562 for as long as you want, and just return it to me when you no longer need it. It is currently stored at my Mom's house in Orange, California. I could deliver the sidecar up to Doug Bingham's shop in Van Nuys, if Old Michael could ride your FJR down to Side Strider Company.

When Doug finished the mounting, I would fly up to Van Nuys and deliver it to you in Northern California; then I would fly back home to Phoenix. I would give you a full day of sidecar operating instruction, as they handle almost completely opposite from a two wheeler. We would start out with you in the hack and by day's end you would be the rig operator and I would be your "monkey"!

Another possibility is to have Old Michael ride your FJR to Phoenix and have Tom Ridyard mount it at his shop. I would simply fetch back the Velorex rig from Mom's house in Orange County. Here is a little history on Tom Ridyard and Doug Bingham: Tom and Doug were the last sidecar racers that were fully factory sponsored and supported by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. They were sent worldwide to race a Harley sidecar rig based on the XR750 flat track motor.

They raced in Australia, New Zealand, Great Britian, Germany, France, Russia and Japan. There are no two guys, with the exception of FJRay, who I'd trust more than these two for any sidecar work.

https://www.sidestrider.com Here is Doug's web site. Doug does all of Jay Leno's sidecar set up and restoration work, Jay has a dozen of them! Back in May of 1996 my bill for the subframe on the hack, receiver hardware on my H-D Sportster 1200, suspension damper and mounting links was $995; including Doug's labor. But, bear in mind all of that hardware is still there and hopefully Doug could reuse most of the already paid for components. Guessing at today's prices, may cost you $500 to adopt my Velorex to your FJR.

https://www.motorcycle.com/events/the-flyin...hair-13170.html Here is a profile on Tom and his 130mph racing rig, that he operates here in Arizona on the street. Blows away the poser boy racers!

In 2002 I had Tom convert the Velorex from the Sporty over to my Harley-Davidson FXD Super Glide 88. Modification of links, addition of sidecar weight plates to accomodate the heavier 88 cubic inch Big Twin and new subframe for the Twin Cam chassis cost me $475; including Tom's labor. Just giving you a rough guesstimate of what the price range may be to make a Yamaha FJR a sidecar hauler.

Naturally, you have no cost for the sidecar; just use it until you are physically able to be back on two wheels. However, if I should become as fecked up as RadioHowie is, may need to get it back sooner!

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of whether you git to ridin' again or what, it's nice to see you smiling out in the open again. An award winning smile on that 3 wheeler no less.

Beemerdons, that is the most selfless offer I have seen in many years. Many cudos to you brother!
Tyler: I suggest you seriously consider Don's kind offer.
Ah, what can I say Michael McNamara: You know that we silly Hibernians are total suckers for beautifully hot red headed Irish lasses with blazing smiles and a sparkling wit! If it wasn't for Women and Whiskey, you know that we Mick's and Paddies would rule the world!

I just happen to have a side car for sale. We could put together a tech session and get it mounted up for her. :clapping:

That Triumph would pull a side hack AND it's removable/sellable for when THAT day arrives.

Tyler, madmike2 has a brilliant idea, with the possibility of using your Triumph as the "mule" for transporting my Velorex 562 sidecar. This way you are not having to pierce your FJR bodywork for the three (or four) mounting points that a hack requires. I could find a way to get the Velorex up to Sacramento and if madmike2 can get it and your Trumpet to FJRay's in LaPine, Oregon: You are then good to go! I had mentioned the side car weight plates, I started out with a 50lb. plate on the Sportster rig; then added another 50lb. plate on the Super Glide rig. I wanted the rig to be as absolutely stable as possible when transporting the Love of My Life, my Son Seth. But, as your sidecar skills increase - you could have the Northern California guys remove a plate at a time. Bearing in mind, that as you reduce the hack's weight: The more likely it is for the sidecar wheel to "fly" on muy rapido right handers!

Tyler, madmike2 has a brilliant idea, with the possibility of using your Triumph as the "mule" for transporting my Velorex 562 sidecar. This way you are not having to pierce your FJR bodywork for the three (or four) mounting points that a hack requires. I could find a way to get the Velorex up to Sacramento and if madmike2 can get it and your Trumpet to FJRay's in LaPine, Oregon: You are then good to go! I had mentioned the side car weight plates, I started out with a 50lb. plate on the Sportster rig; then added another 50lb. plate on the Super Glide rig. I wanted the rig to be as absolutely stable as possible when transporting the Love of My Life, my Son Seth. But, as your sidecar skills increase - you could have the Northern California guys remove a plate at a time. Bearing in mind, that as you reduce the hack's weight: The more likely it is for the sidecar wheel to "fly" on muy rapido right handers!
I would be glad to contact the people at Dauntless and see what is needed for hardware. I have a lot of shop space and everything needed to fab parts. Labor would be the same as the cost of joining this forum. :yahoo:

It's great to see that award winning smile again! Monster kudos for getting back in the saddle. :clapping:

Don... Wow dude! :thumbsup:

I would be glad to contact the people at Dauntless and see what is needed for hardware. I have a lot of shop space and everything needed to fab parts. Labor would be the same as the cost of joining this forum. :yahoo:

I'll bring some adult beverages and hand you tools if you'd like.

Y'know, I DO own a Silverado pickup that should handle the Velorex. To Ray's and back is an overnighter so that could be handled over a weekend.

Maybe someone would volunteer to ride the "Trumpet" to Ray's and ride back in the truck.

Gee....we can make all sorts of great plans for Tyler....all without her input, opinion or advice. Just like men, don't you think!?!? :rolleyes:

Ty, my friend, we's jess tryin' tuh hep. Honest! :wub:

Sooooo, if you decide to take advantage of the offer(s)....... ;)

Y'know, I DO own a Silverado pickup that should handle the Velorex. To Ray's and back is an overnighter so that could be handled over a weekend.
Maybe someone would volunteer to ride the "Trumpet" to Ray's and ride back in the truck.

Gee....we can make all sorts of great plans for Tyler....all without her input, opinion or advice. Just like men, don't you think!?!? :rolleyes:

Sooooo, if you decide to take advantage of the offer(s)....... ;)
Put me on the list as a "Trumpet" transport pilot and extra wrench. Tyler, it's good to see your smiling face out in the wind, no matter how many wheels are under you.

Y'all are too much... I read your posts and got all teary-eyed... really... you gents have more heart than many and I so appreciate all your loving and generous offers... the Trophy pretty much has a new home... I had started conversations with a good friend of mine a week or two ago... his SO is battling MS and so riding on the back of his Aprillia has pretty much kept her at bay from sharing the 2-wheeled love with him, which she very much wanted to do... I had offered up Piggy to him before my accident to take out for a 2-up spin... and with the realization that even if I did ride again, it wouldn't be on the Trophy, I contacted him again about it. It feels right in my heart to have it ridden by two people that I really care a lot about and will allow them a closer bond by sharing that.

So... in lieu of all the amazing offers of wrenching and towing and support, I propose instead, once I'm back on wheels again, no matter what number that may be, that we all come together to celebrate life, heart, generosity, and the spirit in which we all share those things. Deal?

You all are just simply amazing...

Crap... my eyes are leaking again...

:wub:

I hate when women cry.

Well, sounds like you have your heart set for the Bombardier wonder... or maybe a good used bike suitable for a hack conversion might be found. I was hoping to be your balast sometime. Guys do love to fix things for women-type people.

I think people saw a chance to do a good deed for a good person and maybe got carried away a bit. We like ya lots Tyler.

Latest posts