Reaper Passes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Passed along by a forum member:

I want to let you know about the passing of John Neece, aka "Reaper". He died yesterday (4/1) of complications related to a heart attack of about 2 weeks ago. One of his heart valves was damaged at that time, and the doctors could not get him stable enough to operate.Ignacio, I want to let you know about the passing of John Neece, aka "Reaper". He died yesterday (4/1) of complications related to a heart attack of about 2 weeks ago. One of his heart valves was damaged at that time, and the doctors could not get him stable enough to operate.
Rest easy John.

photo-thumb-570.jpg

Sorry to hear this. I've ridden with John a few times and even did a track day with him at Barber.

Godspeed friend.
upset.gif

I know John. How terribly sad. RIP John.

P1040805.jpg
P1090404.jpg

John will be missed and remembered.

Here are a couple of pictures from our rides to Colorado in 2012 and Idaho in 2013.

Condolences to his family and friends... godspeed, John... hope you're riding twisties in the clouds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I met John at the EOM meet in Johnson City, 2009. We've been friends ever since. Our kinda guy: Loved the USA (but not the Gov't), motorcycles, road trips, guns, women, and beer. My kinda guy. I will miss him for a long time.

I met John at the EOM meet in Johnson City, 2009. We've been friends ever since. Our kinda guy: Loved the USA (but not the Gov't), motorcycles, road trips, guns, women, and beer. My kinda guy. I will miss him for a long time.
Share a story... helps keep him around for everyone. :)

Share a story... helps keep him around for everyone.
smile.png
John was at Barber in about 2007 or 2008. He had bought a GSXR1000 for a track bike. That's a pretty manly machine for your first track bike. As you all know, John was a pretty excitable, animated guy so he was pumped about the track day. At turn 5 on the first lap, John overcooked the corner and took it off into the kitty litter. His day was done but no mind for John, he had a smile on his face the whole time and kept us laughing about it the rest of the day. We lost a good man.

I remember his decision to start hauling his FJR cross country in his truck for his yearly western ride. He said there was no way he could cross the big flat middle of the country on his FJR without getting a speeding ticket. He just considered it the price you had to pay to play. Then one day he got a letter from his home state of Mississippi letting him know that his growing accumulation of rewards was about to threaten his license. He decided trucking across the big flat states was the best way to keep his license.

I also remember the big smile on his face when he pulled his helmet off at a stop after a particularly nice and lengthy set of sweepers in Wyoming. He loved fast sweepers. They were his favorites.

If you ever communicated with John via email you are familiar with the signature line he ended every mail with.

I reproduce it here:

One Flag, One Language, One Nation Under God!

There is no pleasure worth giving up for extra years in a geriatric ward.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely

in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

thoroughly use up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.........

"DAMN.....WHAT A RIDE".

Take responsibility for the choices you make,

you are where you are today because of the choices YOU made,

don't blame anyone else.

I spent a lot if time with John. We met one day by chance at the Yanaha dealer in Olive Branch, MS. Little did I know, that would be the beginning of long, enduring friendship.

We made several rides together. We kicked it off in 2004 at the first EOM gathering. It was fairly exciting. He shared many "firsts" with me: my first time to scrape a peg, my first time to ride out west...my first speeding ticket on a bike, lol

We tackled a BBG together, 2009 I think, when we ride from his home in Southaven, MS to Sheridan, WY in right around 23 hours. Pretty good for an old fella surviving on nothing more than cigarettes and Mtn. Dew. I tell you, it really broke my heart to see his dusty FJR in his garage yesterday.

I spent the rest of the evening with his son, John IV, laughing and passing stories about his dad. It's uncanny how they are so much alike. From looks to mannerisms, he's his dad's son. He has his own FJR now too.

I shared a lot with John besides motorcycles. We both have an affinity for Colt 1911's. He and I was planning another trip to the range soon, as I just recently purchased my first Colt. Is it any wonder that he used this to let me know that he was once a competitive shooter? Every time we got together I learned a little bit more about him that, quite frankly, makes me question the value if my own contribution to society.

One of our differences, was that I'm probably a little more prideful. Only in his passing have have I learned that he was awarded the Bronze Star. I knew of his Purple Heart, but he never really let on that it was due to anything more than his loss of hearing in one ear. John's group drove over a land mine in Nam and he nearly died. He faced down the enemy, literally so close that they might have locked together hand-to-hand in another story shared by his son.

In a seedy motel in Rock Springs, WY I learned that he was a chopper pilot. The Army taught him to fly and he did it heroically. He saved numerous American lives and even survived being shot down!

He did indeed plan another trip out west with me, but I wasn't to enthused about the idea of trailering our bikes to New Mexico. When I turned it down, his son picked up the reigns. They met at his home in Southaven, but little Jihn said the trailer Jogn had aquired wasn't really up to the task of hauling two bikes. In mission oriented fashion, they saddled up and ride the distance on the bikes. Little John said my name came up often (he called me Ranger) when they covered numerous roads that he and I had been on before. My heart swelled when I heard this. One of Johns last requests is that his ashes be scattered in the route south of Gateway, CO. I feel that Johns final ride will be forthcoming this summer. I may request that little John let me tag along if he'll have me.

It would mean a lot if several of you that know Reaper could log a few kind words on his dad's memorial site:

https://www.memorialparkfuneralandcemetery.com/obituaries/John-Neece/

I met John at EOM in 2004 as well. I thought his handle was very dark at the time. Then he was down in Key West with us in February 2005. Not sure if we crossed paths again but as people drop off the forum for a while you kind of wonder what happen too them. How are they doing? Well I guess I know now how John is doing.... Sad, very sad

Status
Not open for further replies.