RIP Tom Melchild/Cal24Master

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
Paraphrased from a message I got last night.

I think some people here knew Tom Melchild, especially the LD group. He was the owner of the Cal24 rally and an FJR rider from way back, starting with his '03 or '04. He also had a Super Tenere that he loved.

Tom was diagnosed with Stage IV renal cancer just a few weeks ago. He died early Sunday morning.

Tobie Stevens has a photo gallery of Tom being Tom.

I have no info on a funeral, memorial service, or commemorative ride, but I expect one or more of those will happen. Best info source I know is the LDRiders mailing list.Tom was a big guy who lived a big life. We can all try to live so our passing leaves as big a hole as his does.
Tom Melchild
"Cal24Master"
IMG_1661.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
His influence on endurance riding was significant. The outpouring from the community has had the different forums lit up since the sad news was announced. He will be missed.

After looking at the photo's he seems like a guy that enjoyed life to the fullest,

RIP, Tom,

Dave

I first met him at a restaurant during the first Moto GP in Laguna Seca around 10 years ago.We had a great time visiting and discussing the FJR. He also was rally master many years for the Cal24 hour rally and did a fine job with the rally. He was a good guy and will be missed.

Some more pics and words here on the BMR site. Tom was a lovely man who I had just recently got to know in the past couple of years. I visited him in the hospital a few weeks ago and he seemed upbeat and ready for a fight... I was sad to hear that he lost that battle. His daughter is posting info on his FB page and when she lets folks know when his celebration of life will be, I'll share it here.

RIP, Tom... I know you're riding those twisties in the clouds. :angel:

Wow - life is short. Sometimes very unexpectedly so. Condolences to his family and many friends for so big a loss. Rest in peace, Tom.

RIP Tom. I didn't get to know you as well as others in the LD community knew you, but I will always remember you as the guy who gave me the first seat of my pants introduction to the FJR. Thank you for that, and for all you have done for the LD community.

Wow - life is short. Sometimes very unexpectedly so. Condolences to his family and many friends for so big a loss. Rest in peace, Tom.
+1

It was cool to see so many FJR peeps in the BMR pictures with Tom. Good guy and will be missed.
+ 1

Never did meet Tom in person, wish I had. The "go to " guy for LD and more.

I really thought he was gonna beat this one too. I'm gonna miss his laughter, his quick wit, his story-telling that was guaranteed to make my sides hurt from laughing. Damn.

I still grin when I remember rolling out at zero-dark-thirty with dozens of other fools into the freezing dark of Nevada during one of the White Stags. All of us unaware that you & Alan had already won the night before... Rolling on the floor in your hotel room, laughing your heads off.
lol.gif
(For those who don't know the story, the object of that rally was to use the first letter of a town, feature or monument to spell certain words. Pop quiz: Where can you find hundreds or even thousands of monuments in a relatively small space? That's right, a cemetery.
dry.png
)

Godspeed Tom. You are sorely missed.

Good guy.. Laughed his ass off at my Candy Butt Association.. I really enjoyed that. So long, Tom. See you soon enough, mi amigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.