Help, Input needed on FZ-07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadrunner19

Reaction score
Hello forum,

I am in need of some opinions from those more experienced than myself. I recently purchased a new FZ-07 and I was supposed to pick it up today. I received a call from the dealership that it was leaking oil as they were getting it prepped. They didn't tell me exactly what was malfunctioning on the bike but just mentioned that they were going to open up the crank case and order whatever was needed. They said It should be ready for pick-up in 3 days.

I am wondering if I should be worried that this new bike may be more susceptible to future problems because of this incident. Is this kind of problem common? They offered to get their only other FZ-07 prepped instead of my bike. However, it is in a different color. Should I just suck it up and go with the other bike in a different color or should I not be too worried about this leak?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

How stuck on color are you?? If not that big a deal, get other bike. That whole scenario sounds bizarre. Or the explanation does anyway. It can be damaged from factory ( not likely) or in transit (called crate damage). The dealer set up crew should not be messing with oil or drain plugs as it should come from factory already oiled and basically sealed. Might have to top off occasional engine but that shouldn't be part of set up process. Either way, I wouldn't want my new motor being worked on in that regard. Get other bike. Or have them get another in color you want.

Alright you mechanical gurus in house. What say yea?

Roadrunner19, more affectionately known as son #2 in my house, is in need of some advice. He had called me and my intial response was that he should have taken the dealer up on his offer for the other bike. But thinking on it a little further I thought maybe he should pose the question here. Perhaps something wasn't aligned quite properly when they assembled it at the factory. Once they remedy it then perhaps the bike could be good to go. But then again, maybe he's taking possession of a lemon that showed it's colors from the beginning. No yellow jokes guys.

Any input or opinions would be appreciated.

What parts are painted?

Shouldn't be hard to swap the painted bits to the good bike.

I wouldn't buy this bike under any condition. Settle on the other bike or have the dealer find one the same color for you. If he can't do that say good bye.

Edit: I would have went for the FZ-09 anyway.

That's my opinion.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: I would have went for the FZ-09 anyway.
That's my opinion.

Dave
When the demo truck came to my neck of the woods, I just had to try the FZ-09, well because it was the bigger bike of the two. Afterwards the demo rider who led that particular ride, I won't say who it was but he sure did have big ears, made a comment that I would have enjoyed the FZ-07 more. Reviews I have read lend credance to what he said.

Back on topic: You just hate to think your new baby is going to be a problem child. Perhaps waiting for a replacement bike in preffered color would be the prudent thing to do. Patience might be rewarded in this instance.

There aren't many places that oil could leak which require anyone to "open up the crank case."

There are even fewer such places that wouldn't be obvious at first glance, as opposed to being searched for with exploratory surgery to find out what was needed.

That bike needs to go back to MamaYama so they can figure out what they did that makes a brand new zero-miles motor bleed.

Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like it is kind of a big deal, which is what I was afraid of. I will call the dealership tomorrow and hopefully get some more details. If they won't get a different one I will probably end up going with the other bike.

I would NOT get a color I didn't want. Not for as much of my hard earned money these things cost. Have them order you a new one in the color you want, or have them exolain, in vivid detail what went wrong with this bike. It could be something as stupid as a folded up gasket, or maybe they punched the oil pan.

If it was a factory mistake, they should be willing to throw in a YES plan, for peace of mind. If it was a dealer assembly mistake, be sure the problem is fixed to your satisfaction. If you can't do that, and they won't get you a new one in the color you want, go to someone who will.

I think I would want to know where it was leaking. If crankcase or head, I would want another bike. If oil drain plug or oil pan (gasket) I would let them fix it and get the bike (and color) I wanted. If there was a drain plug issue (stripped) I would want the oil pan replaced.

Patience is the key. Ask the dealer to get another one with the same color. Or you cancel the whole deal as you haven't taken the bike out of the dealer though contract is signed. That's your right to cancel at least in California.

I spoke with the dealership again and got a few more details. They said it was a loose bolt on the gasket. (left of center) After seeing a small leak they are required to open up the crank case to make sure it isn't a bigger problem. They said everything else except the loose bolt was as it should be. They did report the problem to Yamaha. They told me this is pretty rare but not unheard of and that it shouldn't lead to any future problems. The warranty is definitely still in place and I would be able to pick it up tomorrow.

It sounds like the bike is fine but then again I'm sure they don't want to go through the hassle of getting a different bike...

If they split the cases, either take them up on the other bike offer or find another dealer with color/price you want.

I would go have them show me what was leaking and where. There's lots of places where oil can leak that doesn't require the cases being split. Opening up the crank case can mean lots of things. Oil pan, timing chain cover, clutch cover...Take a look. If you're happy, cool. If not ask for a different one.

I spoke with the dealership again and got a few more details. They said it was a loose bolt on the gasket. (left of center) After seeing a small leak they are required to open up the crank case to make sure it isn't a bigger problem. They said everything else except the loose bolt was as it should be. They did report the problem to Yamaha. They told me this is pretty rare but not unheard of and that it shouldn't lead to any future problems. The warranty is definitely still in place and I would be able to pick it up tomorrow.
It sounds like the bike is fine but then again I'm sure they don't want to go through the hassle of getting a different bike...
Maybe they should let you "demo" the bike for the weekend (or longer) to make sure the issue was only the loose bolt-verify after putting a few hundred miles that there is no oil leak and you should be fine?

Can't see why they'd need to open up the cases if only a loose bolt. I'd tighten it to spec and try that 1st personally.

Have you visited the fz07.org site to see if anyone has heard or seen a similar issue with a 07 ?

After speaking at length with the mechanic (a former motorcycle racer and 20+ yrs as a bike mechanic) who did the actual work on the bike, a few things were clarified. The person who told me the entire crank case was opened didn't know what exactly he was talking about. It was a folded up gasket by the cover that was causing the leak and only the cover was opened to replace it. After hearing his explanation and answering all of my questions I was satisfied. I went ahead and drove the bike home. It runs very well and I am in the process of breaking in the engine. It is awesome to be out riding again, maybe I'll see some of you on the road. Thanks for all of your input.

Sincerely,

A proud new Yamaha owner