Mount Evans, Co

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
We are currently in Idledale, Colorado and we left for a trip to the summit of Mount Evans. For those that don't know, the paved road to the top of Mount Evans is the highest paved road in the world. At 14,358 feet, Mount Evans is not quite the tallest mountain in Colorado, but it's close to it! The tundra there is almost identical to that of the arctic circle and...well let's let the pictures speak for themselves!

Here is Mount Evans (the top of it anyway)

amtevansDSC00291.jpg

Here is a very lucky encounter with a mountain goat, we just stopped the bike right next to the goat:

Close up:

aDSC00325.jpg

Nice view this goat has!

aDSC00327.jpg

Here is how close Sherri was!!!

asherriandgoatDSC00320.jpg

A view of the parking lot, old house etc from summit:

aDSC00363.jpg

From the summit, a zoom of our bikes (my friend's goldwing in front)

aDSC00364.jpg

Sherri at summit with a great view

aDSC00347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Continued from first post:

Good views aren't rare up there:

aDSC00333.jpg

Summit Lake:

aDSC00346.jpg

Left to right Dan and Andrew (Ovale)

aDSC00341.jpg

On descent, close to timber line

aDSC00285.jpg

Mt Evans Summit Marker

aDSC00358.jpg

The weather was great. It had snowed on the mountain the night before (August 13th) and there was still a few inches where the shade protected it from the sun. I highly recommend this ride!

Continued with additional scenes and descent shots

Dan on his GL

aDSC00401.jpg
aDSC00399.jpg

Summit Lake, the road there is rough with dips and such, and that is the only section where the road is an issue. 10 mph is prudent!

aDSC00392.jpg

The side of the mountain top behind Summit Lake (the summit is up there)

aDSC00393.jpg

Nice scenery

aDSC00395.jpg

More mountain goats!

aDSC00382.jpg

Dan scooting his big GL around a turn (so easy for us we can ride with no hands while taking pictures ;-) [good job Sherri!]

DSC00401.jpg

Great trip so far. Thanks for sharing. Definitely added to my list.

You actually are at over 14000 feet on a road??? KEWEL!

How'd the bikes run?

How'd the humans run?

Great report and pics! Thanks for sharing. I have a fear of heights and some of those pictures made me want to hurl. Take it as a compliment :D

Great trip so far. Thanks for sharing. Definitely added to my list.
You actually are at over 14000 feet on a road??? KEWEL!

How'd the bikes run?

How'd the humans run?
14k+ on the bikes...the bikes made it a lot better than the humans (especually those used to the 156 altitude in Orangevale (or however low it is))

Thanks for the Pics... I may have to add this as part of the trip to/from Reno next year...!

Really great pics. Thanx for sharing, OrangevaleFJR.

Wish more FJR pilots would post pics of their trips. I love to see the scenary and the bikes.

Post more if you got'em.

MANNN! bee-u-ti-fulll. Wish that kinda' stuff was over here on the East coast. I can't read the elevation on that benchmark. What does it say?

We were at the top of Mt Evans a few weeks ago on an AMA Tour. It is incredible to ride that high and see all the changes in scenery. We didn't have the breath to climb to the summit. You're certainly tougher than us!

Joe

Really great pics.  Thanx for sharing, OrangevaleFJR. 
Wish more FJR pilots would post pics of their trips.  I love to see the scenary and the bikes. 

Post more if you got'em.
Ask and ye shall receive:

Our Rockies pics

Enjoy,

Joe

Great pics!

Now I see what I missed when I rode up that hill in August in a light rain that turned to snow on the summit :eek:

Does this road close after labor day?

Great Pics OrangeVale. Last year my wife, Dad and a friend rode up from South Texas. We did a lot of riding in Colorado including Mt. Evans. I was on my 2004 FJR, my wife was on a 1300 VTX, while Dad and our friend Neville were on 1800 wings. Here's a few pics.

Colo2004045.jpg

Colo2004036.jpg

Colo2004034.jpg