Please post your photos/stories of Beemerdons here

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Barb suggested that we put together a book of photos and stories for Seth and Donna which I thought would be a lovely idea. Please post your photo(s) and maybe a short story to go with it/them. I will work on putting together the book and getting it to Arizona. :wub:

63.JPG

By normal standards of friendship, I could not consider myself close to Don. Certainly he was not my illegitmate father like he was to some others here.

But Don was the sort of guy that made an oddfellow like me feel welcome. He was always humorous in his posts. But he was also welcoming and caring.

He invited me on assorted sorties, but because of what I considered the great distance, we never actually met. There were no great distances to Don. He was as well loved in Canada as in Mexico, and in every corner of the USA.

We corresponded several times over the years (I first came here in 2008, and have been in and out a couple of times, and we also crossed paths on the K1600 Forum since we both had to have K1600s when they were first announced).

He was always full of wit ... please note that I've said WIT, and the W is not a typo. Don wrote extensively. He wrote in an encouraging way. He wrote in an informing way. In his public posts since I've returned this last time, he seemed to have turned to 100% humor and had essentially become the High Jester for this Court. But Don was much deeper than humor. Much more caring than the humor showed. Much more supportive.

I note that some of the British fellows who only knew him from posts have suggested that maybe they weren't sure where they stood with him. I can assure them that Don loved them as much as the rest of us, and that he was only teasing them ... teasing is a true sign of affection among fellows like Don, and being teased by Don should be taken as a high honor.

Don and I both went through the trials and tribulations associated with the introduction of the K1600. Don was more tolerant, patient, and forgiving than I was. But this was another topic on which we could comiserate through private messages, and I always loved to get a message from beemerdons, under any circumstance.

Like some others, when I saw Tyler's post last night, I thought at first that it must be a joke. But when I read what she'd written, I was leveled. Don had just turned 67 ... We all know we're not immortal, but I sure thought Don would be around for a long time. Yesterday, before I saw Tyler's note, I spent a couple of hours with my financial advisor, and discovered that I could retire any time with full replacement of my income. I was mulling it over yesterday, wondering if I ought to plan to retire in 2016 and take advantage. Tyler's post pushed me across the threshhold. I will retire in 2016. I would like to be able to live in my retirement as Don lived in his retirement.

What a wonderful guy. What a terrible loss for his family, and for his friends, and for everyone who would wish a little better for the world.

Don, the last time we interacted, you told me to consider Bushmills Black Bush, and I ignored your advice and bought a bottle of 10 year old Tullamore DEW instead. I've raised a glass of the Tullamore DEW in your honor, and the Black Bush will not be far behind.

For a guy who would not be considered a friend under the natural historical order of friendship (pre-internet), I loved you, and I will miss you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, before I saw Tyler's note, I spent a couple of hours with my financial advisor, and discovered that I could retire any time with full replacement of my income. I was mulling it over yesterday, wondering if I ought to plan to retire in 2016 and take advantage. Tyler's post pushed me across the threshhold. I will retire in 2016. I would like to be able to live in my retirement as Don lived in his retirement.
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement... BD would be proud! I hope that will mean you'll be able to attend a few of the myriad of gatherings that will be happening next year so you can sort of meet Don through all of his other friends and we can raise a toast together. B)

By normal standards of friendship, I could not consider myself close to Don. Certainly he was not my illegitmate father like he was to some others here.*snipage*

For a guy who would not be considered a friend under the natural historical order of friendship (pre-internet), I loved you, and I will miss you.
Out of likes, but like.

thumbsup.gif

The first time we met Don and Seth was at CFR 2010 in Quebec.

When we have Tech Days at Bust's place, one activity we do to entertain ourselves is to call various Forumites in the wee hours either Friday or Saturday nights. Or both. 'Howie and 'Zilla are the fun ones 'cause they get pissy and cuss at us. Bungie just hangs up on us. Don? Nah - Don was as nice as can be and seemed genuinely interested in what we were doing, which we didn't really have any idea what we were doing.

I (mostly) lurked around the forum for about a year before I contacted Don regarding purchasing Miss Lucy Liu.

I was pretty sure that she'd be in "as represented" condition, so I wasn't concerned. But Don really didn't know me from Adam.

Imagine my surprise when, without hesitation, he agreed to the sale, without a deposit or references. He was a man of his word and treated me as if he knew & trusted me. We arranged a "fly & ride" and he was waiting for me at the airport when I landed.

We went to his home, then to his bank to take care of "business".

As the years have passed I've learned how many, many folks were handed Miss Lucy Liu's keys and rode her thanks to Don's trusting kindness.

Later, when my brother in law (who lives in Chandler) got a BMW, Don welcomed him into the AZ Beemers group. He was never too busy to make anyone feel welcome, and treated everyone with respect. Until he got to know you, and then made you feel like one of the group's fellow disreputable rabble!

We who'd known the privilege of his company found our lives richer for the experience, and feel greater loss at his passing.

Vaya con Dios, Papa Chuy Viejo!

I hope that will mean you'll be able to attend a few of the myriad of gatherings that will be happening next year so you can sort of meet Don through all of his other friends and we can raise a toast together.
cool.png
Nothing ever happens without effort, and I am going to have to put in some effort. The spirit is willing. This is part of what made Don such an amazing guy. He was never short of effort. He made many things happen that would not have happened without his effort.

There are a lot of caring, giving guys on this Forum. And from the pictures, it's pretty clear that a lot of them are a bit long in the tooth. I would like to share a glass in Don's honor with these guys who meant so much to him.

I hope that will mean you'll be able to attend a few of the myriad of gatherings that will be happening next year so you can sort of meet Don through all of his other friends and we can raise a toast together.
cool.png
Nothing ever happens without effort, and I am going to have to put in some effort. The spirit is willing. This is part of what made Don such an amazing guy. He was never short of effort. He made many things happen that would not have happened without his effort.

There are a lot of caring, giving guys on this Forum. And from the pictures, it's pretty clear that a lot of them are a bit long in the tooth. I would like to share a glass in Don's honor with these guys who meant so much to him.
We are all in charge of making what we want to happen... happen. There are a ton of really wonderful people on this forum and you're doing yourself a disservice by not meeting them... believe me, your life will be richer for it... long in the tooth or not. B)

These are from Tyler's camera roll - at EOM 2015 in Lewisburg. Don and Donna made the drive out from Arizona after all the crap we gave him for dumping his bike and missing FODS WV. What I will remember Don about is the crap he gave me about being a Marine, from an Army Dawg, and that he was always smiling. Look at the pictures - he always had a smile on his face that was contagious.

Ride on my friend...

Wayne

IMG_4335-L_zpsamhmvobg.jpg

IMG_4348-X2_zpsumftgqt1.jpg

IMG_4349-X2_zpsygcq0qil.jpg

One of my favorite memories was at the first Reuben Run a bunch of the folks stayed at our house. When it was bed time I had to drag Don and his sleeping bag out of my way. He had curled up in front of my bedroom door and wouldn't wake up.

I think after that he curled up with Barry or AJ.

The 1st time I met Don in person, was at SWFOG 2009 in Page AZ. I rode there with Duke. I remember at the Saturday nite dinner there was a drawing for some swag. Don called the winners. I won one of the big prizes a $50 dollar gift cert. at a gear website. Don called out MARCUSORELIUS like he was happy I won, and it made me feel I was part of the group. He was the BEST! I got a nice winter ride'n coat with this that I still have.

Well, mine too, and mostly because it was the most incredible riding in the best place with the best bunch and the best damn weather you ever saw, but the thing that made it especially about Don was it was Don that made the whole thing happen--organized it, promoted it, just spearheaded the whole thing. Like a lot that has happened around here, it happened thanks to Don. A couple memory shots from that great week:

IMG_2463_zps2whtmbpf.jpg

German beer was as good as he said it was. Prost, Don.

IMG_2350_zpsghwau6hc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.