• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Fix for leaking oil filters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NormKern

Reaction score
If you want to use aftermarket oil filters, you need this modification.

Problem: Non OEM oil filter manufacturers have changed the design of their filters in a way that makes them incompatible with the FJR. Specifically, the threaded part of the filter base, which used to be concave, is now convex, so when the filter is installed on an FJR, the threaded base bottoms out on the hex section of the FJR union bolt before the rubber oil ring is adequately compressed. Since the ring does not seal, oil leaks around it.

MODIFIED UNION BOLTS AVAILABLE.

Finally got a furnace installed in my garage, updated my tooling and worked out the details so I can make a batch of modified union bolts for those who want them.

Cost will be $30, including 1st class USPS in USA. Price includes a new union bolt, so you don't need to send me your old one.

Please order before April 1 (riding season starts and I'll be riding!)

UPDATE- Have been able to make up a batch, have my shop and ordering process streamlined, and have been able to keep up with orders, so order whenever you wish- offer remains open.

How to order: PM me with your email address and say you want info on the FJR Union Bolt Modification.

You will receive a reply with an order form and instructions.

I have a few of these bolts in stock, that I can ship right away, but am at the mercy of Yamaha parts suppliers if we get into a back-order situation. (This is not a frequently needed replacement part!)

Here are some pics comparing modified and unmodified parts...

prob1.JPG
Stock union bolt screwed into a new-style "outie" filter.

prob2.JPG
The problem: Hex part of union bolt is too thick and prevents sealing compression of the rubber sealing ring.

sol1.JPG
Union bolt before (Left) and after (Right) modification.

sol2.JPG
Modified union bolt screwed into new-style "outie" filter.

sol3.JPG
Modified union bolt provides additional clearance needed to compress rubber sealing ring.

Norm Kern

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is exclusively for the Group Buy of a modified union bolt.

If you want to discuss which filters might be affected use this long-running thread. If the OP wants to go back and clarify what this union bolt is for or which filters may be affected they can.

Thanks.

The Management

Nice work, and thanks for taking the time to work this little issue out.

There is a similar mod to allow using these same generic aftermarket filters on certain Suzuki motors, (that one is required due to a proprietary thread pitch) which also requires the removal and replacement of the threaded union. I believe that the engine side of that union was doped with red loctite. Should this one be also?

I also wanted to say that, after having done the Suzuki mod on my V-strom, it is truly a trivial mod to install during one's next oil change.

Nice work, and thanks for taking the time to work this little issue out.
There is a similar mod to allow using these same generic aftermarket filters on certain Suzuki motors, (that one is required due to a proprietary thread pitch) which also requires the removal and replacement of the threaded union. I believe that the engine side of that union was doped with red loctite. Should this one be also?

I also wanted to say that, after having done the Suzuki mod on my V-strom, it is truly a trivial mod to install during one's next oil change.
The union bolt on my '14 FJR ES had NO loctite on it whatsoever. Verty easy to swap.

Norm Kern

Just installed your modified union bolt on my 2016 and it went in with out any issues. Thanks again. I have 2 stock unions laying around now. You have any interest in them Norm?

Prestone,

I just received a large batch of union bolts. Will try to contact you when I'm ready to get some more...

Norm Kern

Got it, installed it and I'm happy.

So I made the oil change and bummer, I couldn't find a filter with the nice old concave plate. I got the purolator which seemed to be the flattest, made the change and crap... it leaks. Not much but the small puddle of oil under the bike every morning is not something I would accept. I ordered the union bolt, shipping was almost immediate, the piece arrived very quick. Install is fast and easy, all it takes is the 27mm or 1 1/16" socket and a torque wrench. I placed the convex plate bosh filter this time (black ones filter better
punk.gif
), no leaks what so ever over the last week. Happy me!

A few weeks ago I got a Napa Gold filter and it sealed just fine. Perhaps it was old stock. I'll order the Modified Union Bolt just to be safe hereafter.