Broken Penske Clevis.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
So after some investigation and fiddling with the settings after I got back from Arkansas last week, I noticed the bike was "not right" for some reason.

That is when I noticed this.

I was talking to Ray on the phone at the time and felt a tiny crack and then it opened up on me as I forced it apart with my fingers. Whoa, am I lucky some symptoms started presenting themselves before I went on another ride.

Need some advice on where to get the broken piece quickly. Supposed to head to Alabama SFO in about 10 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need some advice on where to get the broken piece quickly. Supposed to head to Alabama SFO in about 10 days.
Mine was broken (you gotta make 100% sure you're using the CORRECT Penske shouldered bolt or it will happen again) and got a used replacement from GP Suspension a few years ago for like $250. They are NOT cheap.

I have a feeling I already know the answer but could you salvage this from an OEM shock? I still have the stock shock from my '04 which you're welcomed to.

Mike, I was thinking the same thing. But am going to wait to hear from George. I sent him a PM a few min ago. I have a Gen one shock as well. But your offer is very thoughtful and appreciated. Hoping to hear from some of the tech people to see what my options are. 250 for a Clovis seems too much but it is a specialty part. Yuck.

Any small machine shops near you? Possible they could fab one or even repair that. Where I work we fix bigger stuff than that all the time.

Chuck, I thought about trying to investigate that, but I have no idea what to expect with regard to turn around time.

Niehart, I will try to contact Jim to find out his process.

Carver, I have PM'ed George already. It's been like an hour and no response, dang, does he not know he has to respond immediately to everyone! LOL.

Dave, would it be something that is milled? How long does something like that take??

I am supposed to head to SFO in Alabama in 10 days. I need a fix and need it soon.

I do remember hitting a expansion joint on the highway last weeks. It was one of those right before a bridge and I could feel a pretty good jarring effect. I am going to take it apart tonight and inspect the whole thing out of the bike. Maybe throw some JB weld on there and call it good. ------kidding. I know it needs fixed asap. I still have my stock shock, but that thing is so worn out after 70K miles, it might now be worth going to Alabama.

Thank you all for your responses and help. That is one of the best things about the forum.

Got the part off and will be calling Penske tomorrow. A really good guy named George messaged me back and gave me some tips and places to call. Even shot me the number. Thanks George. Seems he and Fontanaman had something very similar happen right before Red Lidge. If the Part is 62 bucks like George recalled, I will be very happy. Also George said it is something Penske has heard of before.

Not sure if I would take it to a local place around here. Seems a little too complicated and specific to try and get one dabbed up. Dave, i would trust and be confident he would understand what was needed given his knowledge of FJRs. Local show here......not gonna risk it.

9 days to get it ordered, delivered, and installed. Seems doable! SFO is not lost yet!

Thanks again everyone!!

Cav,

Call Penske in PA tomorrow and ask them if they can help you out by shipping you a replacement clevis 2nd day or overnight. They might help you out with the price on the part and freight. Just ask nicely :) 1-610-375-6180

Josh, when you pull that off, post a picture of it and the bolt that fastens it to the lower relay arm. This thing broke for a reason, and it's possible you have the wrong bolt?

Cav,
Call Penske in PA tomorrow and ask them if they can help you out by shipping you a replacement clevis 2nd day or overnight. They might help you out with the price on the part and freight. Just ask nicely :) 1-610-375-6180
That is the plan. Hoping for a quick resolution so I can get it put back together.

Josh, when you pull that off, post a picture of it and the bolt that fastens it to the lower relay arm. This thing broke for a reason, and it's possible you have the wrong bolt?
Will do. The bolt I used was the same one that came with the stock shock. I may ask Penske to send me the one they recommend if that is different than what I currently have.

Josh,

Consider sending the broken part to Dave after you get your replacement. Maybe a new Wynpro product...... If we lived closer I'd tell you just give it to me. I've got one machinist here with a sprint car racing background who loves to fabricate stuff like that and we're kind of slow right now.

This part shouldn't be breaking and they need to beef up there design. It sounds like it is common failure. If your paying $250 for a replacement then that's not good either. overpriced.

IMHO,

Dave