LED Headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
Yes, I have done a search and didn't come up with anything RECENT. I know there is a lot of controversy over replacement H4 LED headlights. I know they used to suck in comparison to halogen but LEDs have come a long way just in the last year. I have watched some youtube videos on the subject and the newer LEDs seem to work well.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Cyclops Adventure Sports LEDs or another RECENT / NEW LEDs?

Here is a recent (5 months) video of the above lights:

(no its not a FJR) I just watched another video from just a few years ago about them (late 2013) and they sucked then, so I'm looking for some very recent practical experience.

This was posted on Thursday
punk.gif
Not Friday
no.gif
Sorry!

Did you see this one?

I have a set of early cyclops units (2014) and they suck. I picked up a newer set last summer but haven't tried them yet. The guys at Cyclops are continually improving their product so even my 2015 set are now obsolete.

Edit: updated bad link

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with most of the LED H4 replacements isn't the light output but rather the pattern control. Plenty more light but not as well aimed as with the original H4 incandecent bulb.

This may or may not be a concern to you but I find most aftermarket headlight solutions to be quite distracting in on coming traffic.

Others have voiced the idea that there is too much bright white light on the road in front of the bike (on low beam)and actually diminished your ability to see further.

I purchased a set of LEDs that were supposed to be very good and sent them back due to poor pattern control. Tried them in 3 different bikes but with the same results. Can't remember the brand.

In my research to find a good LED H4, the Cyclops came up as good for off road use so I didn't try them.

The only way to be sure is to buy some and try them out.

Some general info here...https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?377987-LED-H4-and-H7-bulbs-legality

Great info. This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Keep it coming

Did you see this one?
Mr. Canoe... That first link is about some grammar program, but I think I know what you are talking about. Test one of the LEDs in the red FJR? Yes I saw that. I didn't, However, see the 2nd video. Thanks for that!!!

I still don't think LEDs are quite ready for practical ROAD applications yet, but I think they are getting close. That's why I started this post, I may have been missing something.

For the price of these LEDs I think I will just go with a set of SilverStar ULTRA's and save some money...

I still don't think LEDs are quite ready for practical ROAD applications yet, but I think they are getting close. That's why I started this post, I may have been missing something.
For the price of these LEDs I think I will just go with a set of SilverStar ULTRA's and save some money...
Maybe some day we will see a DOT approved LED H4 replacement.

As for the Ultras, they work well but do tend to have a shorter life span.

Maybe some day we will see a DOT approved LED H4 replacement.

As for the Ultras, they work well but do tend to have a shorter life span.
Doubt it. The full DOT approval requires matching reflector and lens. Many fly-by-night retrofit headlight vendors claim DOT by using components which have DOT approval but not in the way the vendor is applying.

When the whole package is done for LED it works great. Am very happy with the OE (Original Equipment) LED headlights on my 2016. If only we still had sealed beam headlights then a retrofit would be practical.

SilverStar ULTRA? One is mistaking increased light output with better. The brighter the spot in front of the vehicle the blinder the rider/driver is to that which lies outside the spot. Furthermore the brighter that spot the blinder oncoming traffic.

This is probably the highest quality LED H4 bulb that is made. It seems to be the most expensive too. I thought I read that this bulb was DOT certified but I cant find any info on that now.

https://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm

I have these LED h4 bulbs installed and the beam pattern is pretty good. I have no complaints with these bulbs. Light output is good, beam pattern is good and installing them is a piece of pie.

https://www.amazon.com/Evitek-Headlight-Bulbs-Motorcycles-9003/dp/B017M566T4/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1477849242&sr=8-18&keywords=H4+led+bulb

If I were to order a set of LED h4 bulbs today, I would probably order a set of these bulbs. They appear to be using the same type of LED technology and shielding that the Phillips bulbs use but for less than 1/2 the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Autofeel-Headlight-8000LM-Beam-1-Warranty/dp/B01J510CKW/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1477849449&sr=8-39&keywords=H4+led+bulb

I have these LED h4 bulbs installed and the beam pattern is pretty good. I have no complaints with these bulbs. Light output is good, beam pattern is good and installing them is a piece of pie.
https://www.amazon.com/Evitek-Headlight-Bulbs-Motorcycles-9003/dp/B017M566T4/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1477849242&sr=8-18&keywords=H4+led+bulb
These are the ones I bought and found the low beam ligh pattern control quite poor.

Got rid of them.

The Phillips ones look promising ...but the price!

the new Philips H4 LED headlight bulb will look like they're operating with a light source they were designed to take. There's no messy random spray of light, no excessively blue color to attract police attention, and on low beam the cut-off line is clearly visible when looking at the lit-up headlight lens...just like factory equipment

I am trying these with 6,000 12,000 lumen 36 watts per bulb verses the 8,000 lumen 42 watts per bulb you gave the link to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H68A10C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note I am switching from HID before they eat up my reflectors. Just starting to show signs of it above the lamps.

EDIT: just re-read the specs for these bulbs and they are rated at 6000 lumens per bulb.

From Amazon's website:

Product DescriptionSize:H4 (9003/HB2) Dual Beam LED
XtremeVision® 8G LED Headlight Conversion Kit - 2016 8th Generation
XtremeVision® 8G LED Lighting System comes with everything you need to upgrade your halogen lights or existing HID to LED Headlight. Our LED Lighting System will provide you with the brightest visibility and safety for the road ahead. The upgraded LED Headlights are more reliable and produces a glare free beam pattern. You will be able to see further and wider ahead of you. Every kit is fully Plug-and-Play, allowing for a quick and easy installation.

XtremeVision® 8G LED Headlight Features
XHP50 CREE LED Bulbs x 2 (Low Beam) / x 2 (High Beam)
6063 Aircraft Grade Aluminum: Corrosion and Pressure Resistant.
CREE XHP50 LED Chip: Spherical Design Made to Reduce Glare. Enhances Running Safety.
Air Flux and Fan Cooling System: Dual Cooling System; Keeping your Bulbs Durable and Long Lasting.
LED Bulbs Produces 6000LM x 2 / Total 12000LM
360 Degree Beam Angle. LED Chip on each side. Total of 4 LED for Dual Beam Application.
Easy Plug-and-Play Installation
3X Brighter than Halogen Bulbs
Bulb Lifespan of 30,000 Hours
100% Waterproof and Shockproof - IP65
ISO9001 Certification and European E-Mark for 100% Guaranteed Product Quality
2 Year Warranty on XtremeVision® 8G LED Conversion Kit

Specifications:
Input Power: 36W x 2 / Total 72W
LED Type: XHP50 CREE LED
Voltage: DC12V-24V
LED Color: Bright White
Lumen: 12000LM (6000LM/Bulb)
Color Temperature: 6500K
Heat Dissipation: Aluminum 6063
Operating Temperature: -40 - +80
Size: 3.5IN x 1.25IN (LxW)

XtremeVision® LED Headlight Conversion Kit includes
(2) XtremeVision® 8G Dual Beam XHP50 CREE LED Bulbs
(2) Fully Plug-and-Play LED Drivers
(1) Installation Manual

If I were to order a set of LED h4 bulbs today, I would probably order a set of these bulbs. They appear to be using the same type of LED technology and shielding that the Phillips bulbs use but for less than 1/2 the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Autofeel-Headlight-8000LM-Beam-1-Warranty/dp/B01J510CKW/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1477849449&sr=8-39&keywords=H4+led+bulb
This one looks very promising. I like the fact that it is water proof, It needs to be since the environment is not sealed and you surly can't use the factory rubber boot that helps keep the water out. Is that for 1 bulb or a pack of 2 bulbs for $70?

I am trying these with 12,000 lumen 36 watts per bulb verses the 8,000 lumen 42 watts per bulb you gave the link to.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H68A10C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note I am switching from HID before they eat up my reflectors. Just starting to show signs of it above the lamps.
These seem like they would be the brightest at 12,000 lumens, I like that but it would also be too bright if the pattern was not controlled well. Also, I don't see that they would like to get wet especially having a fan to cool them surly they are not water proof or even water resistant.

You have to be careful about the lumen ratings. Even if the seller is not an outright liar (and some are), they may provide the rating as total lumens for the two bulb set with both low and high beams. 12,000 lumens could mean 3000 lumens for the low beam on one bulb (which still isn't bad if decent focus is accomplished). Some say how they rate them and others don't. There are so many choices out there right now and I would like to think that eventually somebody will get it right. (maybe not yet...?)

Stay tuned!

Edit: Not sure about waterproof issues. I wouldn't think that the cowl of the FJR is necessarily worse than inside the engine compartment of a car. I suspect that the ones with fan-cooled heatsinks would tolerate moderate "clean" road spray but might not like salt spray in places where NaCl is used to de-ice roadways.

This one looks very promising. I like the fact that it is water proof, It needs to be since the environment is not sealed and you surly can't use the factory rubber boot that helps keep the water out. Is that for 1 bulb or a pack of 2 bulbs for $70?

I am trying these with 12,000 lumen 36 watts per bulb verses the 8,000 lumen 42 watts per bulb you gave the link to.

These seem like they would be the brightest at 12,000 lumens, I like that but it would also be too bright if the pattern was not controlled well. Also, I don't see that they would like to get wet especially having a fan to cool them surly they are not water proof or even water resistant.
They bulbs that appear to be a copy of the Phillips LED's are sold in a 2 pack.

You have to be careful about the lumen ratings. Even if the seller is not an outright liar (and some are), they may provide the rating as total lumens for the two bulb set with both low and high beams. 12,000 lumens could mean 3000 lumens for the low beam on one bulb (which still isn't bad if decent focus is accomplished). Some say how they rate them and others don't. There are so many choices out there right now and I would like to think that eventually somebody will get it right. (maybe not yet...?)
Stay tuned!

Edit: Not sure about waterproof issues. I wouldn't think that the cowl of the FJR is necessarily worse than inside the engine compartment of a car. I suspect that the ones with fan-cooled heatsinks would tolerate moderate "clean" road spray but might not like salt spray in places where NaCl is used to de-ice roadways.
I'll know right away, I am going from HIDs to LED. My HIDs are very bright and throw down range very well. If I get a chance and can take pictures comparing the two I will, but it will be later this winter when I do my maintenance.

Here is the link I trying to post:

They use H1 HID's. I was going to do it last winter but never got around to it. I'll take some shots of the various options if and when I get the project going.

You have to be careful about the lumen ratings. Even if the seller is not an outright liar (and some are), they may provide the rating as total lumens for the two bulb set with both low and high beams.
Also , lumens can be measured at the brightest point in the beam pattern and may not be representative of the brigtness of the whole beam.

I would think that there is a reason the Philips lights are MUCH more expensive than the "copies"

It could be that they are designed better!

I would think that there is a reason the Philips lights are MUCH more expensive than the "copies"It could be that they are designed better!
I could be the Philips are actually designed and not just thrown together. The Philips actually submitted to reputable testing laboratories and certified to meet applicable standards, laws, and regulations.

Or it could be priced high simply because many don't believe they are getting the best unless they are paying the highest prevailing price.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mr_Canoehead" data-cid="1345349" data-time="1477887291"><p>

Here is the link I trying to post: <a href='

</a><strong class='bbc'> </strong>They use H1 HID's. I was going to do it last winter but never got around to it. I'll take some shots of the various options if and when I get the project going.</p></blockquote>
The projector retro fit with HID's will be the the best option for the best light. I want to get a used headlight bucket to perform the operation on.