Yamaha Touring Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnirtsnod

Reaction score
I installed Yamaha's touring windshield on my 2016 ES to eliminate a loud buffeting on my "quiet" Schuberth C-3 Pro helmet. The results were favorable. Here's the rundown. I am (or was when I was younger) 6'-0" with 32" inseam and ride using the stock bar position - no risers. The stock windscreen in the full-up position, at highway speed, resulted in a lot of buffeting, requiring ear plugs to bring the noise down to an acceptable level, and a tolerance of the jerkiness from the effects of turbulent air on the helmet.

I replaced the stock windscreen with a Yamaha touring windscreen which is 4" taller and 1/2" wider than the stock - so says Yamaha. First of all, it looks great and the "FJR" etching on the left edge is classy. Enough of the superfluous stuff, what about the ride? On a scale of 1 to 10, with five being equal to the stock windscreen, 1 as totally unacceptable, and 10 being "the bomb", I would rate the touring windscreen as a 9 1/2. The additional height eliminated almost all of the buffeting at highway speed and I found that by following the air streams around the shield and back to my helmet, any remaining buffeting probably comes from the sides of the screen, and that was just a wee bit. If I inched my face forward just a bit, I couldn't detect buffeting and all I could hear was the droning of the engine - which is why I'm going to still use earplugs. In the full-down position, the air coming over the top hit me at about the collarbone level, so I can still get a little cooling air into my jacket, but there is a trade-off with the smaller, stock screen.

I'm sure wider screens will offer even greater wind and rain protection, and the purpose of my post is not to start that debate, but if you want to retain the lines of the FJR and still get improved performance while out on the road, you may want to consider the Yamaha touring windscreen.

...Don

Found the touring screen works well for me too. I'm 6'2" and do have bar risers fitted.

Edited to add that like Bill and the OP, earplugs are a definite to mute wind noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big touring screen fan here. I find wind/road noise to be sufficient to require earplugs with any shield, any helmet, but I think the Yamaha touring screen is the one best screen if you can only have one screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be buying a new windscreen soon but haven't decided which type to buy yet. I have the touring screen on the 08 and it seems OK for me. I was looking at the Givi also.

Dave

Thanks guys, from the looks of it I think I would like to go a little wider. I appreciate the pic's.

Thanks, Dave

Dave, we should get together to compare shields before you go fishing with your wallet.

I have (had) the 3rd Gen touring shield, but it wasn't quite enough for me. That's when I put the abomination of a home made lame-i-nar lip on it and that made it muy bueno for me. You do sit a bit lower than I do, and without a Russell tractor seat (yet) so it may be good. Of course I also have the "tuning spacers" which you may or may not have incorporated.

I've just recently upgraded to a CeeBaliey mondo-jumbo, wicked tall, which is about the same height the touring shield plus the home lame lip was. Weather will soon be gooder, and we (I) can get out of hibernation.

I think you should come to me, eat my barbecue, sample my whiskey, and ride with my touring and cee bailey screens as a trial.

Copy the "Direct link" from photopucket.

Click on the little picture in the menu bar.

Paste the copied link.

IMG_2344_zpse9altzdx.jpg

IMG_2324_zpsomwcsxu7.jpg

Here's how I ride in "the cone of silence". It can really be done but it's not as simple as getting a bigger windshield. We all know the noise is created by air rushing over the helmet. Buffeting is created by dirty air coming over the sheild at odd angles. Back pressure is created by the vacuum left by blocking too much airflow. I've never been able to create the "ducking down" cone of silence while sitting up normally without buffeting or back pressure. You would have to be bent way over looking thru the windshield. I like sitting up on a comfy seat with the bars pulled back. My solution costs $640.00

Get the Yamaha Touring screen ($140.00) and install with Fred W's spacers from Home Depot. The Yama screen flows very clean air as it has no curves or lips and cleaner yet with the spacers. However there's still some buffeting and back pressure and it's created by the airflow over the top. (not the sides).

Get an XScreen Sport (not Tour) and install at its lowest setting so it's not sticking up over the sheild. This is like a laminar lip but better because it's adjustable and very effective. It cuts the air rush over the sheild in half without distorting it completely eliminating buffeting and back pressure. $170.00

Buy the Bose QC noise cancelling earbuds. Even though you head's not being batted around anymore there is still air moving past your helmet and it's noisy without ear protection. These earbuds are nothing short of amazing all by themselves and plugged into a music source are absolutely incredible. $230.00

These observations were made at speed (80mph) over several years and 180,000 mi. and I finally got it. I'm so happy I had to share.

The RDL is now planted on the Gen3. I have had the touring screen on the gen2 and I am happy with it but I want to go another route this go round. So far the givi may be at the top of the list but I have just started looking. No decisions yet. It is still mud season in the driveway and I have been dual sporting it a few times with the Gen2. I may by pushing my luck to far though.

Dave