dropped my new fjr!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RaiderBill

Reaction score
I had just finished installing the touring windscreen and went for a ride. The screen is great. Enjoying the 6th day of owning my new fjr. Pulled into the garage and all of a sudden it is falling and I could not stop it. I am not sure what happened, did not have the kickstand all the way down?, did not put it down? Anyway felt like crying or screaming. Here is the damage.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/923/QKROpf.jpg

Not only that but it hit my stratoliner sitting next to it and scuffed up the paint on the front fender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked up the parts cost on bike bandit and to my surprise it totaled 418.80. I am taking it to the Yamaha shop tomorrow to see what they feel the total cost will be.

Oh my God! Your bike is ruined forever! (Not.)

Like the Pathfinder said, now you can ride it. Mine's had 40,000 miles after it broke the lower right fairing. Several scrapes on the bags, too; they're my rollover protection. Chicks dig scars, especially when they're on your motorcycle.

Once upon a time, I watched Iron Butt Rally riders come into a checkpoint, 3 or 4 days into the ride. The official check-in guy stepped up to each of them and quietly said this before he started checking them in: "Is your kickstand down? Is it ALL THE WAY down?"

Now, I watch as I kick down the sidestand and see it settle on the pavement.

About a week into owning my beloved beastie, I lost control of it getting off it (zero forward motion) and it very slowly leaned to the right as I pulled like mad to get it keep it upright. Best I could do was a guided lay down with as gentle a landing as possible. Still not sure how I managed this feat.

Wound up with not really visible (except to my sharp eyed brother in law) scratches on the right lower fairing. Now with a few more character marks, they're just another part of the story of bike.

Uncle Hud, I think that is a good idea, don't move or try and park the bike until you visualize the kickstand in place, and get canyon cages or the like.

As many times as I dropped Old Yeller, I didn't waste too much time to install canyon cages on the new bike. I figure if I am going to continue to do rallys, I just know there's a cemetary out there some wheres where I'll drop it.

But looking at these cages on my bike, I can see where it'll help preserve the saddle bags, but if there's enough momentum it looks to me like it might still go over far enough for the mirror to smack the ground. I hope I'm wrong on that.

To the OP: not only did you start two threads, but what about us ding-a-lings who read both of them? LOL

TripperMike posted: As many times as I dropped Old Yeller, I didn't waste too much time to install canyon cages on the new bike. I figure if I am going to continue to do rallys, I just know there's a cemetary out there some wheres where I'll drop it.
But looking at these cages on my bike, I can see where it'll help preserve the saddle bags, but if there's enough momentum it looks to me like it might still go over far enough for the mirror to smack the ground. I hope I'm wrong on that.

To the OP: not only did you start two threads, but what about us ding-a-lings who read both of them? LOL
First, what about us ding-a-lings that have responded in both threads?

I'm with you on the crash bars, TripperMike. I've dropped mine several times -- on both sides -- at speeds below 5 mph and have yet to break the mirror stay. Looks like Canyon Cages, et al, will only serve to help the bike roll behind horizontal.

I figure the hardcases ARE my crash protection, and I'll bet they're cheaper to replace than new crash bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.