dropped my new fjr!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaiderBill

Reaction score
I had just finished installing the touring windscreen and went for a ride. The screen is great. Enjoying the 6th day of owning my new fjr. Pulled into the garage and all of a sudden it is falling and I could not stop it. I am not sure what happened, did not have the kickstand all the way down?, did not put it down? Anyway felt like crying or screaming. Here is the damage.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q901922/P65wtU.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/923/QKROpf.jpg

Not only that but it hit my stratoliner sitting next to it and scuffed up the paint on the front fender.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks... been there done that as have others on this forum.

As you just learned, these bikes are top heavy and over they go really fast. Now you can learn all about taking the front cowling off and other good stuff. Good luck.

I do not know yet if I am going to do it or take the insurance hit. I am sure the shop will say its going to be 1000 or more. I could take the check and do it myself then order canyon cages. I have a feeling this might turn into a long thread. Good to know I will have lots of people here to help me if needed.

Cannot see your pictures; asks me to log in. The damage could be far more than $1000 if you broke the transverse brace in the nacelle.

BTDT on a slight down-hill stop.... she rolled a little and CRASHED!

I fixed it myself w/ about $300 in parts. Still, that's what insurance is for.

Don't beat yourself up. This is the 'safest' way to let her down. Just move forward and be 'aware' every time you stop.

Sorry about the pics. I will try to get some different ones up. hopefully it is just the plastics that are broken.

Ouch, that hurts...especially on a new scoot!

Pic assist:

QKROpf.jpg

--G

Just not being careful. Never have dropped my stratoliner. Maybe because that bike is over 800lbs and I am aware of it. Will certainly be careful in the future.

Thank you escapefjrtist for the pic assist.

In my experience the side stand can tend to drag its rubber tip a bit while wheeling the bike around so when you lean the bike down the side stand is over center the wrong way and gives way. I always give it a kick fwd nowadays and never trust the bugger. By the way I always park it IN GEAR.

Just not being careful. Never have dropped my stratoliner. Maybe because that bike is over 800lbs and I am aware of it. Will certainly be careful in the future.Thank you escapefjrtist for the pic assist.
Not really that. It's mostly that the Stratoliner has all of its weight below your waist. It's heavy, but it's low. The FJR isn't necessarily top heavy but it carries it's weight much higher. Coming from a VTX, I had to learn that lesson also. Once I began to respect the more elevated center of gravity, I stopped dropping my bike.

A few years ago, there seemed to be lots of people dropping their bikes off of partially deployed side stands. Because of that, I ALWAYS put my stand down,and then drag my bike back, about an inch, insuring the side stand is fully deployed.

Sorry you dropped your new bike. That sucks, but its fixable, and in 50k miles, you will barely remember.

On the plus side, you'll never drop it for the first time again.

Afraid that internal "stay" that holds the mirrors in place on the Gen 3's probably broke, flimsy brittle expensive damn thing. Prob the thing Pterodactyl referred to as well. When I broke mine and posted about it, there were a LOT of replies from other Gen 3 folks who had the same thing happen. Damn shame.

Sorry to read this! Hopefully it's not too bad.

On a positive spin you may now feel free to add the "drop" icon to your sig line.

I dropped mine on a parking lot a couple of years back. I put the sidestand down, leaned it onto it slowly, it felt fine, I put my weight on my left leg and started getting off, and over it went. I never stood a chance of holding it. I didn't have a clue what went wrong.

Then a month or so back I put it on the sidestand and felt it roll forward a tad folding the stand back a little. In that case, I KNOW I failed to push it forward and get the slack out of the drive train. I suspect that's what happened the first time as well.

Just not being careful. Never have dropped my stratoliner. Maybe because that bike is over 800lbs and I am aware of it. Will certainly be careful in the future.Thank you escapefjrtist for the pic assist.
I never dropped my cruiser either. Low seat makes it easy to flat foot and man handle.

I did however drop my FJR once. Slow roll forward with wheel slightly turned. Too much front brake and it actually threw me off.

Changed one panel and left a few scars.

Probably one of those things you just need to get out of the way.

The metal crosspiece that holds the mirror on is broken. I took the bike to the Yamaha shop this am, we will see how long and how much $ this is going to take. I think soon after getting it back canyon cages or the like will be added.

1- That piece is NOT METAL! It's some POS pot-metal that is fragile as hell.

2- Search on the forum as many of us have fixed it (one way or another).

3- Canyon Cages or sliders after the crash may NOT save the mirror next time... they seem to be high and exposed anyway you go.

4- Ride more and worry less... Zilla said it best 'In 50k miles, it won't matter'.

Raider Bill, I've got you beat because it only took me three days before I learned the lesson. Fortunately I was at the EOM in Wytheville, VA. and quite a few FJR's had the same "Specialty" markings where they've been dropped as well. Like they say, you worry less after your first drop, although, I'll give it to you on the damage. Yours is much worse than mine was. Sorry for you, Buddy. ...Don