HR09079 Heli Modified

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullivan

Reaction score
Per my earlier snippets, the neighbor from my jobsite this spring is Heli Modified ( Helibars ). Popped in this week with my new '16, and 20 minutes later, had an appointment for a factory install, two days later (today).

Heli has grown many market segments in the past 10 years or so. In existence for 25 years, this specialized machining is 95% of who they are. Offices and plant are very quiet, clean and tidy, and polite.

Harry did the install himself. Very impressed with his methodical prep work and full process. Completion time would have been one hour but I was talking too much.

The new bridge design replace the old 076 as it was much more cost effective, plus no triple work or ignition work.

He removed the factory clamping bracket, plus added the short brake line extender. Very easy and no surprises, of course.

Of the various positions available, I chose the most rear-ward and the most square across. I felt the change while leaving their business park road. Felt like I was riding a naked street bike again with old fashioned handlebars which never gave me problems. The one hour commute home on mixed roads went very well, with no digits asleep on my left hand and all was well with the right hand. No sore neck from windshield air pressures.

Snow Saturday, can you believe it? Going up to the dealer Friend&Friend, which is 278 miles round-trip, to get my Yamaha comfort seat. Will give me time for more evaluation.

20170420_100605.jpg
20170420_104928.jpg
20170420_105710.jpg
20170420_111654.jpg
20170420_111709.jpg
20170420_112336.jpg
20170420_112350.jpg

Maybe you could ask him directly since he's your buddy.

I have the original Heli triple clamp already installed and do like it because it much more sturdy than the crappy OEM cast triple clamp. Unfortunately the set back offered by the Heli triple is not enough for me so I recently purchased a used Heli modified.

I asked the support at Heli about whether it is possible to use the Heli modified with their original Heli triple and the answer was simply No. I did follow up asking if simply required me to drill & tap some new holes or something but never got any reply from them.

So my question is very simple, is there a simple enough mod I can do to the Heli triple clamp to make it work with the Heli modified as I would much rather use that configuration than down grading my setup back to the OEM triple clamp just to use the Heli modified.

Thanks in advance for your help Sallivan.

I would not have kept my FJR if it were not for the heli. I ran it in the full rearward position for a while, but eventually found that having the bars that close together on this bike made steering heavy, and put my wrists at a bad angle. One position forward from the rearmost position allows me to keep my wrists straight, and make the steering feel lighter. I found the Yamaha comfort seat to be superb. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I think that Heli modified is ugly. Butt ugly IMO. I wish they still made the triple clamp. On my Gen 1 their risers looked good, but the Gen 3 option not so much.

Maybe you could ask him directly since he's your buddy.I have the original Heli triple clamp already installed and do like it because it much more sturdy than the crappy OEM cast triple clamp. Unfortunately the set back offered by the Heli triple is not enough for me so I recently purchased a used Heli modified.

I asked the support at Heli about whether it is possible to use the Heli modified with their original Heli triple and the answer was simply No. I did follow up asking if simply required me to drill & tap some new holes or something but never got any reply from them.

So my question is very simple, is there a simple enough mod I can do to the Heli triple clamp to make it work with the Heli modified as I would much rather use that configuration than down grading my setup back to the OEM triple clamp just to use the Heli modified.

Thanks in advance for your help Sallivan.
My first thought is that they are manufacturers. Something custom, what I am hearing, would need to be done by a local machine shop. Plus, the liability if something broke is to be considered.

Yep, that Heli bridge thingee is damn fugly. I scored an old style top plate for the Gen2s, just put it on yesterday. It was easy enough to install that I'd never consider paying someone else to do it. Some pics:

Start, stock plate with 1" Genmar risers

IMG_20170422_135210091_zpsg84bbvbd.jpg

IMG_20170422_134540833_zps0xlnwntt.jpg

IMG_20170422_140727733_zpsqckvpmbv.jpg

Remove the stuff and drill out ignition switch screws

IMG_20170422_151053999_zpsagvlp28n.jpg

And put it back together

IMG_20170422_153450273_zps1xqq9hks.jpg

IMG_20170422_162057840_HDR_zpsanxa39xk.jpg

My additional advice to those who are relatively new to this stuff:

- add a fairing screw plastic washer under each front fuel tank screw. Can't tell you how many of these I've had to chisel out, they're pretty soft

IMG_20170422_143847124_HDR_zpsmgq4n71u.jpg

- add a small rubber o-ring under each of the tiny little screws that hold the covers over the handlebar mount screws. Trust me on this.

Plans are already in the works to add the Genmars back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per my earlier snippets, the neighbor from my jobsite this spring is Heli Modified ( Helibars ). Popped in this week with my new '16, and 20 minutes later, had an appointment for a factory install, two days later (today). Heli has grown many market segments in the past 10 years or so. In existence for 25 years, this specialized machining is 95% of who they are. Offices and plant are very quiet, clean and tidy, and polite.

Harry did the install himself.
One other thing- you can tell your jobsite neighbor for me THANK YOU!! So many times aftermarket companies make accessories for metric bikes using US standard fasteners. Not Heli- the fasteners that came with the plate I put on yesterday were METRIC fasteners for a METRIC bike. Imagine that! I noticed and greatly appreciated that little extra they did there.

Hi Dan, I also enjoyed my visit with Harry and Cindy at Heli last year. My FJ-09 was the 'model' for the FJ--09 riser they designed and now sell. I was impressed by the cleanliness and organization of their facility. While there I picked up the Helibridge for my FJR and a set of risers for my buddy's C14. They make some quality stuff. Harry's quite a good designer/engineer too.

I think he's getting ready to retire. I hope he has a good succession plan for the business.

His R1200RT was in the same place as your photos when I was there (twice). I hope he gets to ride it sometimes..

I just bought a set of these for my 09 AE. Anyone who has done an AE, do you know if there is enough wire on the left side when it's freed to make the swap. Probably should have asked the question before buying but figured there should be or they would have said not for AE model somewhere in the literature. Oh well, guess I'll find out the hard way.