Bad Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Angus
Reaction score
I have a new in December Xtreme AGM battery that wont hold a charge I plan or returning it friday are they good batteries or should I just get something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't comment on that brand but my stock Yuasa went 5 or 6 years including being parked for our long winter and was still doing OK, but to make sure it would fire on a sub-freezing spring morning I finally replaced. Of course I went with the Yuasa again, well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

If you're talking about the brand that Batteries Plus sells, I had one, and it lasted as long as the OEM battery, in my 06.

I assume direct swap for a new one of the same vs a swap plus some cash for a (probably) more reliable battery? Bad/weak batteries really piss me off so I would spend a little for a good battery. Depends on were you ride - I won't risk a bad battery because I frequently tour away from major centers where I might get a battery replaced very quickly and do a fair amount of camping with the bike.

Considering your request about the Extreme AGM, you're going to get a replacement free, right? I'd put it in the bike and just keep an eye on it. Best way to do so: do you have a volt meter on the bike? If not, while you're replacing your battery, consider installing a volt meter. It's really simple to do, they can be bought off eBay for next to nothing (if you're content with a cheap one, if not get a Datel). Hooking them up is easy. Several "how to's" on this forum. Personally, I couldn't imagine having an FJR and not having a voltmeter. But that's just me.

About the battery: the fact that it's an AGM makes it a better battery than most standard lead-acid types. However, any manufacturer can produce a dud. Thank God for warranties. It is very unlikely that your replacement battery will blow out. Extreme wouldn't be in business if they made it a habit of selling faulty batteries.

Fine, it might not be as good as a more expensive battery, but then (for now at least) the price is right: hard to argue with a FREE replacement.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="garyahouse" data-cid="1363407" data-time="1493343097"><p>

Do you have a volt meter on the bike? If not, while you're replacing your battery, consider installing a volt meter.</p></blockquote>

What he said. Good advice. Cheap to do and is valuable info.

Probably suggest a batter problem UNLESS you have an unusual parasitic draw with the ignition off. I would check with an in-line ammeter or charge fully, disconnect the battery and see if it still goes down over several days. (Probably the battery unless you have done stuff to alter the original wiring.

Xtreme AGM is a house brand at Batteries+, and from what I can tell it is made by Douglas. It should be an OK brand, but the reviews online seem to show they do crap out in 2 years pretty regularly. You might want to just suck it up and buy a Yuasa unless you are getting the replacement for free from Batteries+

Look at an AGM made by Interstate, I'm very pleased with it as a replacement for the Yuasa. The OEM Yuasa in mine only lasted 8 years the piece of crap.
punk.gif

Look at an AGM made by Interstate, I'm very pleased with it as a replacement for the Yuasa. The OEM Yuasa in mine only lasted 8 years the piece of crap.
punk.gif
An '07 OEM that lasted ONLY 8 yrs? It really must have been a POS!! I'm on year 10 with my '07 OEM Yuasa battery.

Yuasa fan here, tried and proven. Just make sure the selling dealer has prepped it appropriately.
What "prep" does the dealer have to do?

Dan
The last Yuasa battery I bought was shipped "dry" with the acid to be added (by the dealer or the purchaser). It is important to follow the directions correctly, allowing the necessary time for the acid to be adsorbed. The battery should be slowly charged fully as well - although "dry charged" in the package,it is not a complete charge and should not be subjected to the much higher current of the bike's charging system. Must not be overcharged!

I had my battery checked out they said it was no good wanted 89.00 to replace I told them it was 5 months old they didn't want to replace it but they did.

When I bought Odysee AGM batteries for my Kawasaki Concours, there was no prep required. They came in a box ready to go with up to a 10 year shelf life, no charging required.

Dan