Yamaha--Stepping Up with New Features for LD Riders!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
Very inspiring! 1:07 "It's like sitting on a sofa watching a travel show."

1:30 "... a fuel injected engine would be nice..."

Last edited by a moderator:
It is highly unlikely you will ever see another new model of carburetor equipped street motorcycle. Emission regulations and performance considerations have relegated carburetor to the wayside.

I'm betting it's another V-Twin. Because that's what the American motorcycle market needs right now, is another undersquare, low revving, air cooled V-Twin. We don't have enough examples of those.

It is highly unlikely you will ever see another new model of carburetor equipped street motorcycle. Emission regulations and performance considerations have relegated carburetor to the wayside.
and it's much easier to remotely disable a computer controlled vehicle. No computer and the engine becomes a brick. Much harder to silence a carbed engine. ;^)

I notice, perhaps a bit too much, when the ad folks and production folks mandate clothing or other things that are intended to endear, but end up being discordant. The opening guy "life is about the journey". The journey to your closet to get a short sleeved, button up LEATHER shirt, one size smaller than the t-shirt you're wearing underneath? It's time for me to pull my leather button-up out, cause I'm all about a journey. Wait.....

Try listening to that video without looking at the actors and props that they used. They aren't really saying anything that anyone here would argue with except maybe the last thing where the guy wants a reverse gear. :unsure:

I think what all of those Star riders are asking for is already made (FJR) , it just doesn't fit into their sense of badboy styling. That's style, not lifestyle.

All y'all are bitching about ..... what? The way those folks dress or the motorcycles they ride?

At least they ride.

<edit, 5 mins later> For the sentimental, the 2016 V Star 1300 Tourer comes in Galaxy Blue.

I've always joked about cruiser apparel, until I went to Moonshine a few years ago. As I looked around, I realized that we all dress alike too just in different garb.

I'm curious to see what the new bike looks like.

I was hoping they would bring a bike to compete with gold wing. All the statements sound like gold wing except the actors and props leads you to think of a costly Harley competition.

Looked like they were catering to the market segment that doesn't ride. Not the way most of us do, anyway. I'll freely admit that lack of liquid cooling is probably one of the few real reasons that a road king was not on the finalist list when I bought my fjr. I recall when the only group of motorcyclists that stood out with particularly odd clothing was BMW riders, a long time ago.

I think Honda lost a bet with Yamaha, and the announcement will be that the Goldwing is being rebadged as a Star.

I got a postcard yesterday announcing this very thing.

You know what I think? I think (hope, really) that they will announce a 1500cc-class bagger with updated styling and techno-features. Something like the big Victory baggers, but not quite so outer-spacey.

Consider what Momma Yama has done for the FJR, FJ, and FZ bikes. What if this new big tourer comes with a built-in bluetooth module with FM and a USB socket; LED headlights and cornering lights; shaft drive; ABS, cruise, heated grips, electric windscreen, big bags, a La-Z-Boy pillion (with armrests !), and optional heated seats?

What if they put those features on top of a bullet-proof water-cooled Yamaha V-twin engine and a chassis with decent lean angles?

What would you have? You'd have a very potent H-D and Indian competitor, boys and girls.

And if that dream bike provided a comfy 10-hour seat for Aunt Kelly, I'd buy one.

Can't argue with that. Cruiser guys like their bikes and riding style as much as we like our bikes and riding style. If Yamaha gives them some major updates, it can only be good for all of us. If they're making money, they're spending some of it on research and updates.