Repairing a broken front stay due to tip-over damage (Gen III)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmiller

Reaction score
My 2015 was sadly tipped over in my driveway... and as a result my front stay broke, which causes the mirror to be flimsy. Since I was going to replace it, and since there seems to be limited how-to instruction out there on this topic, I created a how-to video on YouTube. I hope it helps you.

Great job - thanks for the work. Learning curve (i.e. broken tabs) mostly avoided by watching this video. This will serve to help someone new to taking the front fairing apart.

Karma owes you....

I thought you wanted to know how to repair it, not replace it? It can be welded for repair as long as the rest of it is straight.
I was always planning to replace it, in order to minimize down time. I rely on my FJR for daily transport so I needed to get it fixed ASAP. I offered to send you my broken stay since I read your post about working on a stiffy type kit for it. If someone out there wants to buy my broken stay, and then have you or anyone else weld it back together, I'd happily sell it for a very reasonable price. Otherwise, I will probably keep it just in case there is a next time...

A new stay on partshark was just shy of $200.

Thanks for taking the time to put together the "how-to". I'm sure it will come in handy for more than a few folks!

--G

I thought you wanted to know how to repair it, not replace it? It can be welded for repair as long as the rest of it is straight.
I was always planning to replace it, in order to minimize down time. I rely on my FJR for daily transport so I needed to get it fixed ASAP. I offered to send you my broken stay since I read your post about working on a stiffy type kit for it. If someone out there wants to buy my broken stay, and then have you or anyone else weld it back together, I'd happily sell it for a very reasonable price. Otherwise, I will probably keep it just in case there is a next time...

A new stay on partshark was just shy of $200.

You may want to check the price of OEM FZ1 mirrors at PartShark. You will get a two for one. No longer looking at your elbows in the mirrors and likely not breaking a stay if you drop it again!! Just a thought.