Best Risers? (Gen 3)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I'll probably take a hit for the "not searching" thing, but I did, some. Sometimes when your question is pretty specific there's just too much stuff to wade through to get to the info you want. If it's there at all. So here's the info I want:

I want risers that move the bars back and up, but I also want to solve a specific problem, so I'd like to know if this would do the trick for me. After a couple of hours, I get very tight up between my shoulders and the base of my neck. It helps a little to rotate my head some and stretch forward and back, which I can do while I ride, but it only helps a little. I feel like I'm leaning forward more than I want to to reach the bars and it seems like moving them back a couple inches might help. So has anyone had this problem AND solved it with risers, and which ones? I already exercise and stretch every day, so don't bother with that one. I'm sure it is better than it would be if I didn't stretch, but it's still a pain.

Only other thing I can think of is a time machine. If you have one, can I borrow it?

Yes. Helibridge. It didn't correct an age problem. It corrected a problem with the stock ergonomics that caused the pain you describe on anything more than the briefest ride. Was never a problem with any other bike.

I would say that the Helibridge or maybe the MV riser plate is the answer you're looking for. I have simple 1 1/2" blocks installed on mine. The rise is nice, but I think eventually I will be going with the plate for more movement back. One thing to consider is if you run a tank bag, that it may hit the horn button at full lock. Mine does and it gets quite annoying when you're trying to make a tight slow turn and your horn is blaring...

Another Helibridge fan here. The rearward move of the bars and slight height increase made a big difference for all day comfort. I think the bar ends end up being slightly wider too which helps with control. I've ridden slab, country sweepers and tight twisties with the Heli-Bars and suffered no compromise to the stock FJR handling. The new bar position simply alleviates the shoulder/back discomfort I used to have on long rides.

Heli makes nice stuff. The instructions are well thought out and thorough.

I picked up the MV riser. Ordered direct from manufacturer and saved more than $80 (over buying locally) even after shipping DHL (Note: UPS was about $12 more expensive for shipping). Keep in mind the exchange rates change over time, and the direct purchase took me 12 days to get to the house.

NBB

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Gen2 and started with simple Genmar riser blocks but just this last winter switched to a Helibar top plate with additional risers for just the reasons you describe. Also I found that if I let my head "settle", kinda scrunch down and chin drift forward, I also get the discomfort described. I have to make a concerted effort to keep the neck extended and the head tilted slightly down, looking through the top half of the helmet visor. Not letting the shoulders droop is not a natural thing after several hours in the seat, especially in the hotter of days. Another way to picture it is: if you ride with a shorter windshield and the interstate-speed air is constantly hitting your helmet right above the visor then the natural tendency over time is too allow the head to be pushed back/tilt up, especially if a straighter up seating position is desired. This leads to the symptoms described, trust me. See what I mean?

Mike,

I have the MV and love it, however you are a few inches taller than I am, so that might make a difference.

Thanks guys. I should've sat on a couple bikes at YFO to test fit but it's not the same as a decent-length ride of course. I'll start researching those brands and see what I can find out. I think I'll be making a move soon. 300 miles yesterday and the shoulders and neck still feel a little tight.

rolleyes.gif
smile.png

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/146408-my-impressions-of-the-mv-motorrad-bar-riser/

its just rain posted: My vote is for the MV Motorrad, it solved my problems.
My vote also goes to MV Motorrad. These put me into an almost upright seating position, which eliminates pressure on my shoulders and wrists, and allows my neck to remain in the position it's normally in while sitting in an office chair.

The problem with test-driving bar risers? They're set up for the owner, not for you. MV Mottorad's device only raises the bars maybe 1/2-inch, but allows the bar ends to be rotated backwards -- towards the rider -- a good bit. Note that each degree of rotation means the grips get closer to the bike's centerline. Maybe this or the photo below will properly illustrate:

MMV+Lenkkopfplatte+f_r+Yamaha+FJR+1300+Bj.+2006-2012+Variante+AE+ES.4.jpg

Each FJR handlebar bolts into a threaded hole. The curved slots surrounding the threaded hole allow the bar to be rotated (some magical amount), then torqued tightly. Note the freebie RAM mount ball on newer models.

Installation isn't technically difficult, but will require wrestling the clutch cable. (Or is it the front brake cable?) Installation is well documented on another FJRForum thread, which is linked above.

No, you cannot borrow my time machine.

SacMike, unless you cough up the $$$ for an MCL clamp, the Heli or MV will provide the most adjustment. I just can't stand the look of either one...
bad.gif

Mike, I like the older HeliBar unit the best. I was lucky to find one that FairLaner had..
Older Heli clamp won't work on a ES model DC. I did the same as you to my 15A and installed an original Heli triple clamp...absolutely luv it!

--G

Both the HeliBar Bridge and the MV Motoradd allow a forward/backward adjustment that is essentially a swivel. This allows you to open or close the angle of the bars.

I finally had to install the HeliBar Bridge on my bike for the exact reason you described. Both of Pop's FJRs were treated to the HeliBar Bridge.

If you leave the bars in the full forward position you will not have to install that ugly brake line extension.

Much like a Russell or Laam Seat, the ugliness of the bridge is invisible to you while you are riding.

I don't find them ugly, and besides us FJR geeks, most would be hard pressed to even notice the brake line extension. If it were not for heli, I would not still own my FJR. And I've never had to modify any of my previous rides. Good luck whatever you choose. For a while, I ran the heli's with the bars in the full rearward position. I liked it fine. It was heaven compared to the stock configuration. but it put my wrists at a more severe angle than I would have liked, and in hindsight, it made steering a bit heavy. One position forward turned out to be the sweet spot. I'm much farther back and higher up than stock, but one position forward makes the steering feel light (wider bars, or more distanced between the grips), and wrists are at a neutral angle. YMMV.

I have an 07 FJR with the Helibar Bridge (up and back, adjustable). For me it's to far up and too far back! But that is because I prefer the sportbike posture, not the sit-up and cruise position. I'm only 5'8", 28" inseam and can just heel at stops with my extra heel height boots. When I assume the flex back sit-up position, my arms have a good bend, and as I ride along I lean further forward (to get the sportbike posture I prefer and more comfortable, without thinking about it) my arms are even more bent and I start crunching back my shoulders. This puts a kink between my shoulder blades after a few hours. I have to continuously fleck my back and sit-up and feel like I'm on a cruiser or something like a Goldwing. If my bike had not come with the Helibar, I probably would not have put it on.

I'm not a fan of the adjustable angle of the bars. I would prefer an adjustment which allowed moving the bars forward/rearward without changing the angle, as this adjustment can cause wrist angle issues. I think the best would be adjustable up/down, adjustable forward/rearward, adjustable angle in/out and adjustable angle up/down.......now that would probably be some ugly beast of a farkle!

However, I do understand why others feel the need to get the bars either up, and/or up and back. For my size, when I'm leaning forward in my preferred posture my chest almost touches my tank bag, which is most likely weird for I don't know many other 71 year olds (with a bad back, knees and hips) that prefer a sportbike over the sport-tourer sit-up comfy position.

Despite it not fitting me well, I think the FJR is a great bike and the Helibar bridge is a nice addition for those who benefit from it.

Hey! I don't think my Lamm is ugly! Or maybe it's just that the '15's are so sleek looking that anything you put on them has to step it up.
sarcasm.gif