Sierra Passes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamK

Reaction score
Anyone have any local/inside knowledge on when Ebbetts Pass might open? I've checked all the usual websites which say late June to early July, but they haven't really changed since the original post in May.

89 through Lassen is still closed too.
sad.png

I was hoping to catch both of those on a trip starting on the 24th.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a great trip Adam, nice riding on them 'thar roads!

Big heat (as in damn hot) next week may help but don't hold you breath for Lassen. I hear Laporte Rd is open if you are looking for a fun road
...oh sure, open it up when I'm back north. I see how y'all are!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

We rode up to Lake Alpine yesterday and 4 was blocked just past the east end of Lake Alpine. Not a lot of snow and the lake is almost clear of ice. July?
upset.gif
Dag nab it! That's our favorite road.

What was Sonora pass like? Still a lot of water running across the road?

We rode up to Lake Alpine yesterday and 4 was blocked just past the east end of Lake Alpine. Not a lot of snow and the lake is almost clear of ice. July?
upset.gif
Hmm. I guess we could do and out and back since we can't do a 2 pass loop when we're there week after next. The best part is between Alpine Lake and Monitor Pass though, right?

upset.gif
Hmm. I guess we could do and out and back since we can't do a 2 pass loop when we're there week after next. The best part is between Alpine Lake and Monitor Pass though, right?
exactly

Right! That's the fun part. There are some fun sweepers east of Murphy's and past Big Trees although CalTrans is out by Big Trees straightening out a few of the better curves.
nono.gif

Big Trees is worth a visit and the Aria Bakery on Main Street in Murphy's has the best coffee and pastries. We often ride there just for a treat.

Theresa reminded me that, this time of year, especially with the heat, some vicious thunderstorms can develop in the Sierras. Last July we rode up to Markleeville and, on the way back, ran into a hailstorm. The road was white and you could hear the ice crunching under the tires. We slowed down to about 45 but even at that speed, I had a few bruised spots on my hands (deerskin gloves) and on my legs (mesh pants). And it was cold going over Carson pass! We were in the hail for probably 4 to 5 miles. Make sure you have a rain over-jacket or gear.

We're heading up over Carson and Monitor tomorrow for an out and back, with a stop at Sorenson's for a bowl of beef stew.

We rode up to Lake Alpine yesterday and 4 was blocked just past the east end of Lake Alpine. Not a lot of snow and the lake is almost clear of ice. July? :upset: Dag nab it! That's our favorite road.
I think there were 2 spots on the entire road from Sonora to Rte 395 that had water on them. It was the cleanest I've seen for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator: