Saddlebag latching tab broken

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

900gc

Reaction score
After a fair bit of internet searching, I am pretty sure the plastic tab that pops up to lock the bag to the bike is non-repairable. My left bag got ripped off the bike which in turn cracked the tab to the point that it is almost completely snapped off and is useless. Now before I go out and spend lots of money on another bag, is there any way to secure the bag to the bike without that tab? I know about pinning the lower alignment tab mount but do not think that is sufficient to keep the bag on the bike securely.

I can't see how it could go anywhere with the top hooks in place and the bottom pinned. Otherwise, perhaps you could use some JB weld and some inlaid strips of metal to reinforce what's left of the tab. Don't know if there is enough clearance to do something like that.

If it were me, I'd PM Garauld. That man is gifted with knowledge. If you can reach the point where it is cracked, you might be able to solder it together using plastic welding sticks. Maybe

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can reach the point where it is cracked, you might be able to solder it together using plastic welding sticks.
I was actually thinking the same thing if there was a bit of a stub left sticking out. Do you have the broke off piece? Got a photo of the broke area?

If you can reach the point where it is cracked, you might be able to solder it together using plastic welding sticks.
I was actually thinking the same thing if there was a bit of a stub left sticking out. Do you have the broke off piece? Got a photo of the broke area?
The tab is still 'hanging on by a thread' and is cracked right at the bottom when it is extended, flush with the case. I do have some ABS glue on hand if that would be the appropriate adhesive to use but am not sure if a 'glue fix' is strong enough for the tab to do it's job. Perhaps gluing it and pinning it is enough?

I can't see how it could go anywhere with the top hooks in place and the bottom pinned. Otherwise, perhaps you could use some JB weld and some inlaid strips of metal to reinforce what's left of the tab. Don't know if there is enough clearance to do something like that.
It's really tight, may be able to reinforce using .02-.03" sheet metal. I'll look closer at this idea!

Maybe buy a well-scratched bag that someone has replaced and swap the lids?
I thought the same but didn't suggest it because of his description of what happened "My left bag got ripped off the bike which in turn cracked the tab to the point that it is almost completely snapped off". I figured that the plastic shell did not come out of it unscathed.

Maybe buy a well-scratched bag that someone has replaced and swap the lids?
I thought the same but didn't suggest it because of his description of what happened "My left bag got ripped off the bike which in turn cracked the tab to the point that it is almost completely snapped off". I figured that the plastic shell did not come out of it unscathed.
Yes, but he's already trying to fix the tab, so he must think the shell is liveable with. Swapping will at last give the right colour, regardless of whatever bag he acquires.

Thanks Gents, the bag still looks pretty good minus a few deep scratches mostly on the painted lid so the hope of a workable repair is the first option. A used bag (and swapping the lid if needed) is the next option if whatever repair I attempt does not seem to be satisfactory.

Can you post any close-up pictures of the fracture?

I would highly recommend (if at all possible) to mechanically re-attach using screws or thin plates + screws. If it is repaired with adhesive, I am not sure it would be strong enough to absorb lateral loads. In the initial latching operation, that tab is loaded in compression but it still needs to be able to keep the bag latched onto the bike if exposed to any side loads.

Dan

The extendable "tongue" (tab) exists only to prevent the bag from bouncing up and off the two hooks it hangs from. It would not have much sideways strength and the hooks prevent lateral motion at the top anyway. The hooks would have to snap before the tab did anything to prevent lateral movement (slot is quite a bit wider than the tab). The rubber-covered frame tab and U-channel on the bottom of the bag keep the bag from flipping out laterally. If the bag is pinned at the bottom, it CAN'T bounce up and CAN'T pop off the mounts unless something breaks. I suppose it is possible to hit a hard enough bump so the pin rips through the u-channel on the bag.

Well, I'm just thinking that since the "bag got ripped of the bike", it was subjected to a lateral load that fractured the tab. A repair of this tab that didn't strengthen it sufficiently to lateral loads would allow the same failure to occur.

Dan

I suppose that the bag could get pushed up being hit from below. This might break the tab or cause the mechanism to skip a few teeth - well documented. In either scenario, the bag could get bounced up enough to let the hooks come out of the slots allowing the bag to pull off- breaking the tab if not broken by the original hit.

The extendable "tongue" (tab) exists only to prevent the bag from bouncing up and off the two hooks it hangs from. It would not have much sideways strength and the hooks prevent lateral motion at the top anyway. The hooks would have to snap before the tab did anything to prevent lateral movement (slot is quite a bit wider than the tab). The rubber-covered frame tab and U-channel on the bottom of the bag keep the bag from flipping out laterally. If the bag is pinned at the bottom, it CAN'T bounce up and CAN'T pop off the mounts unless something breaks. I suppose it is possible to hit a hard enough bump so the pin rips through the u-channel on the bag.
I didn't really think through the primary purpose of the tab but after thinking about how the bag mounts and imagining some force vectors that would act on it, I can see that the tab is basically a 'wedge' to keep the bag from bouncing up off the hangers as you say with not much lateral load acting on it. I'm thinking that abs plastic specific glue may offer a strong enough joint and when combined with pinning the lower mount, it may just do the trick.

Shit, none of you guys have asked the most important question.

Howja break the bag off?????????????????

Da Wolf

Latest posts