Rear oil vent replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has done this. So today was maintenance day for the 2008 FJR. Started out just to replace both front and rear tires. While I had the rear tire off I decided to check the spline. I haven't looked at it since it was new when I put Moly D on it. That was about 90K miles ago. There was still a little left on the shaft but barely. So I gave it another slather of moly D on the splines. Then I remembered I bought a new vent since the other one was getting all rusty. Well I thought I had an O-shit moment. Pulled the top of the vent cap off which is only tack welded in place. Now what? So out came the big vise grips and I clamped down on the sucker and wiggled it back and forth while pulling on it. It loosened up and came right out. Well that wasn't to bad after all.

So on installing the new one you must be very careful to get it lined up as best you can and tap in the center so you don't break the tack weld on the new one. It isn't on there by much. So here are some pic's to go along with my story.

DSCN0986_zpstdbcejwm.jpg

DSCN0987_zpsdlejum34.jpg

DSCN0996_zpsto9hlovs.jpg

Good luck,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
When i lubricated the splines,accidentally the cap broken,''very easy''! from its tack weld..

So i thought it was a not so easy job to pull out the old vent,so i used a little high temp metal epoxy glue instead the tack weld.

Two+ years now and the cap stills on its position..

After i reading your post i will replace it.Thanks for the useful info and pics!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts