3/4 Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
On some of my recent rides I have actually found myself riding the majority of the time with my modular helmet locked in the back

position. (I have the Shark Evoline) So I am thinking of adding a 3/4 helmet to my collection. I found one that has all the features that I

am looking for, but I have an open mind for any opinions or suggestions about other makes, models of helmets. I really am not posting

to get preached to about the safety loss going from full face to 3/4; I have taken this into consideration.

The helmet that I found is this one (Bell Mag 9 Sena Helmet - Solids - RevZilla) I have a spare SMH-10 already, besides the SHH-20s

I have installed into 2 of my Shark Evolines.

Features that I desire:

A) Flip down Sun visor

B) Affordable Shied replacements

C) Compatible with Sena

D) Removable liner for washing

E) Light Weight (A Big factor in considering a 3/4 helmet)

F) Visor or sunshade

G) Easy shield swaps

I have just started searching, so I am interested in experiences and preferences with 3/4 Helmets.

I have one of these helmets, and use my SMH-10 in it I use it on short trips in hot weather. In fact, I wore it today. Only complaint: it's noisy compared to my other helmets (1 modular, 1 full-face).

Hint: don't configure intercom for VOX-operated.

I have one (I think it's a bell custom 500) that's a guilty pleasure for rides to the store and back. I think of it as my gold wing helmet. I usually just reach for a modular, but I won't deny the 3/4 is pleasant in the heat. I don't even know if they still make custom 500's anymore. I do know sizing and finish has varied over their modern production. You could order the same size and color a couple of years apart and get a much different helmet than you got the last time you ordered the same thing. I ordered a metalflake large to replace my old one and got a helmet that was much larger than the original, and in a finish that was definitely not metalflake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same experience on my recent trip and purchased a HJC 3/4 but will be sending it back and get the Bell Mag 9 to use around town.

The HJC was really light and felt ok but too noisy but would not me attach my spare sena 20s so going this route.

I went from an AGV dragon to the shark evoline. I tend to like the pilot style of 3/4s because the visor doesn't catch the slip stream when its up, like most "normal" 3/4s.

That being said, I love the shark. Wouldnt trade it for anything right now. I don't mind the weight of the chin bar when its up, and its always there if i want it

I've got a mag 9 and really like it. Switch back and forth between modular also. Had to clamp the 20s on the side. Use it when it gets really hot. Like the visor and integrated shields.

This helmet does adapt nicely with the SMH-10 except that the custom adapter has no provision to attach earbuds.

Not exactly what you were suggesting, 101stpathfinder, ....

I have one of these from my 'Sons of Anarchy' days. It's been getting serious consideration on the everyday commute, as this summer is already a HOT one. The helmet is genuine Bell (Bandito) and DOT approved. The chrome finish reflects the sun into everybody else's eyes no matter where they are, so I am quite visible. Shop here.

L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L2xhcmdlL0JhbmRpdG8tQ2hyb21lLmpwZw==_H_SH355_MW400.jpg

It also makes me look like a badass because I pair it with dark Ray-Ban aviators. (OK, maybe I look like that guy from CHiPS.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya, Tony!

Sooze and I have Nolan N43s that we wore when I had a Harley. Looks like the replacement - Nolan N44 Clicky - is being phased out / discontinued. Dunno if they'll replace this model or not.

Of your requirements, I'm not 100% how compatible it would be with a Sena headset, but it is a light, versatile helmet that flows air well, and with the chin bar in place, it offers at least more protection than a traditional 3/4.