2013 Touch Up Paint?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laser Dude

Reaction score
Has anyone found any touchup paint that is remotely close to a US 2013? Last year I bought the waterborne touchup paint kit and it wasn’t even remotely close. Way too dark. After picking up a rock ding in my saddlebag, I decided to try Colorite, even though it has an asterisk next to that paint code saying it “may” deviate from the factory color. I plopped down $40 for the aerosol can of paint and clear. Nope, not even close. If it were one shade off, I could live with it once repaired, but we’re talking 4-5 shades darker than the factory paint.

So far I’m about about $70-80 total and I’m no closer to having the ability to touch up dings than I was before. I have a trunk that I bought used and was damaged. I’ve repaired it and it’s ready to paint (which is why I bought the can of it). However, I can’t paint the trunk with that, it’ll be too far out.

I called Colorite and talked to their color person and they said “We’ve never had any complaints about that color and the formula is right from the manufacturer”.

I’ve compared it to pieces that are hidden, just to make sure I’m not dealing with faded paint, but it’s just wrong all over.

Anyone found touchup paint that was spot on for that year?

Only thing I can find on forums is people saying Colorite is too dark, and then they hit a brick wall.

Will do! I had another phone conversation with the colorists at Colorite and she said if I send her a part, she would match it and send me a can back. Now I need to find a small part I can remove and do without for a few weeks
smile.png

I'll report back.

Just to update you, that color code on the FAQ's is the one I have and it doesn't match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you used it? That's the first thing I bought and it's far too dark for my bike as well. In fact, I'd say that one and the Colorite are pretty close.
Yes, i used the PEN. Bought it about a yr ago to touch up the area around the radiator, had 2 small chips. Was very close match. When it went on "wet" it was a shade darker, but then dried up to a very close shade of the OEM paint.

I have a pt of the Colorrite paint and found it too dark as it was mixed. After it sat a couple weeks, the black toner rose to the top and I skimmed off a couple tsp of it. It's a lot closer match now.

I have a pt of the Colorrite paint and found it too dark as it was mixed. After it sat a couple weeks, the black toner rose to the top and I skimmed off a couple tsp of it. It's a lot closer match now.
Interesting. I wish people would call them and complain. They told me that no one's ever complained about it. I think if enough people complained, they'd correct it. I remembered that I had the covers for where the saddlebags hang. I'll send them one of those to match to. I'm going to ask them what happens if they do match it, how would anyone else order it. I'll update this thread accordingly.

Good luck. I've found that their Galaxy Blue is too blue, the Cobalt is a pain to get close with their two color parts, and the Dark Cherry is too purply. I'll bet they don't sell a lot of FJR paint for any given model year.

Last edited by a moderator:
He used Colorite. I can tell you from the photos that what's coming out of my can isn't even remotely close to that. I wonder if they changed something or if his painter made color adjustments like Garauld did. I'll take a photo and post it tomorrow.

He used Colorite. I can tell you from the photos that what's coming out of my can isn't even remotely close to that. I wonder if they changed something or if his painter made color adjustments like Garauld did. I'll take a photo and post it tomorrow.
Why not PM Fairlaner and see if he can provide more insight on this? He isn't on this forum too much lately but he may get email notification of a PM.

Just wrap the bike in carbon fiber.
Done,

Dave
Well....now that you mentioned it, on the top case I bought that was damaged, I repaired the damaged area and wrapped a big patch of carbon fiber down the center top section. It looked fantastic. Then I'm walked out the house with it a few days later, it flops open while I'm carrying it with one hand, and falls out of my hand and lands on a concrete step. Gouged the carbon fiber wrap and gave me a new ding just outside the carbon fiber area! That top case is determined for me not to use it :)