Dunlop Roadsmart 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellWell

Reaction score
Hello

I have the T30 now in the rear and really like them.

But am taking +3k miles loop to Oregon and am getting a new tire for this . Anybody try the Dunlop RS 3 for mileage?

I tried the 2 but like the Bridgestones T30 better. I am getting close to 6k on the rear now.

Dunlop is making a big claim on mileage along with performance. Sounds interesting particularly for an extended road trip.

Any experienced use of the 3 would be appreciated, you can PM if you like. Not looking for opinions or speculation.

thanks

I too, just installed my first Dunlop Roadsmart 3 on the rear of my Gen 1, and am looking forward to comparison with my most recent tire (Avon 3C-XM) for handling and longevity.

I did get 15,000 Kms (~9000 miles) out of it, but by the time I elected to get the Dunlop as a replacement, the Avon didn't owe me anything (through the wear markers).

I'll try to remember to come back and share my experience with the Roadsmart tire in a few months after more distance trips are under my belt.

Couple of folks here are running them/have ran them. @JustinNck1 just removed his set before a big ride he's taking this weekend and got about 6k on the front I believe. But those were a hard 6k and didn't really lose their shape. I'll not go back to the T30 as mine is shot with only 3k on it.

Just put 1600miles on a set on a loop thru the pnw. Very smooth, well balanced and sticky leaned over, like them very much so far, no mileage estimate yet. They sure have a different look than the PR4s I usually run. No obvious wear patterns but in 1600miles I would not expect any. Price was right with the rebate.

Any further information on the Dunlop Roadsmart III now that people have managed to get some more miles on them?

Longevity and end-of-life performance compared to other popular tires?

I have been running Bridgestone T-30 GT front with Michelin PR2 rears for a couple of years. The last set was T-30 GT EVO (F & R) and although they have been OK, I have not been overwhelmed by either handling or lifetime. Certainly not horrible but I was hoping for a bit better.

I have a fairly long distance trip coming up in a couple of weeks and might give the RS III a try - especially if I hear some positive reviews by those who have used up a set. I had a set of the RS II when I first got my bike and was highly unimpressed - 8 years later, I am hoping that Dunlop has learned stuff about the needs of the sport-touring market.

I am liking mine to date, nice soft smooth grippy ride, unknown as to mileage/and the wet stuff as of this time. Did get my 60$ rebate in the mail the other day plus a good price at the shop. I have noticed the comfy ride has me going a little faster than I think I am. Never been a peg dragger but these make leaning easy. Oh yes, little over 2200 miles.I am running the frt at 37psi and the rear at 42psi.

...Did get my 60$ rebate in the mail the other day plus a good price at the shop...
The rebate is what is making me consider these tires now instead of next spring. I have an extra Bridgestone T-30 rear tire waiting in the wings and I think the current front would get me through my trip. I will see what price the local guys will give me on a pair of the RS III (and see what other comments there are on lifetime and late-life performance).

I've got 7k +/- miles on mine, and they still look good...I think I've found a new favorite.
smile.png

I have a set mounted up and just returned from a couple of days in NW Arkansas. They hold a line really well and I have 6K miles so far and they have a load of tread left for more fun and excitement.

So far, the reviews are promising. Perhaps the RSIII will become today's version of the Michelin PR2 in terms of market dominance. 7 or 8 years ago, I would estimate that three quarters of FJRs were shod with the PR2.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, the Dunlop Roadsmart III I installed on the rear of my Gen 1 now has ~3000 miles (5000Kms) on it, and it appears to be wearing nice and even.

I'm not gentle with the throttle, and love the corners. My last ride just over a week ago put about 1500 miles on that tire, (@ 42 PSI cold) with ambient temperatures running to about 97 degrees Fahrenheit 3 days straight.

Gripped the road without fail, but I've not had opportunity to sample this tire in real wet conditions yet.

So far, I'm satisfied, and expect to complete my use of that tire at maybe 8,000 miles - will be surprised to get any more out of it than that.

So far, I'm satisfied, and expect to complete my use of that tire at maybe 8,000 miles - will be surprised to get any more out of it than that.
Is 8,000 miles more or less than you would normally expect out of a tire? (I would generally expect 12,000 or so but VERY dependent upon where and how I am riding.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ross,

Well, over the last 5 years, its been my experience that the FJR can consume (especially the rear) tire a little faster than some other bikes.

A little heavier than most sport bikes, but with all that torque and sometimes carrying a passenger over distance - just adds up to burning through most tires quicker.

So far, I've used:

• Metzler Z6 (didn't like the fact that they appear to have NO wear markers!)
  • Angel GT - excellent wet or dry, just a bit costly. Get maybe 9000Kms (5500 miles out of these on the rear)
  • Michelin PR3 (front) - decent, but rubber compound not intended for FJR - wore down in about 8000 Kms (5000 miles)
  • Michelin PR4 (rear) - excellent in the wet, less grip under hard acceleration in the dry. Got maybe 12000Kms (7200 miles) on these
  • Avon 3D XM rear - excellent, a bit cheaper than Angel GT, safely got 15000Kms (9000 miles) out of it
  • Avon 3D XM front - still installed, expect to get maybe 16000Kms (10000 miles) on it
  • Dunlop RoadSmart 3 - still installed on rear. These are cost effective, just not sure yet that they will last as long as the marketing materials indicate.
If it helps, I just went ahead and mail-ordered another fresh set of Avon 3D-XMs (front + rear).

Cheers!

getting on the Roadsmart 3 here too this week. I destroy tires, front and rear, riding the pace very spirited. average 3-5k miles per set to bars and below.

i have ran 023 t30 angel gt pr4 pr3 pr2 on this bike and my c14. i have under 10k miles on the fjr, and on my 3rd front, 4th rear.

the price on these rs3 was amazing after rebate (under $200), had to try them. was a toss up between these and the 01 metzler .

i still have a new pr4 rear, need a front to go with that, i have 2 pr4 front takeoffs, about 4-5/32 each and a new 023 with a new 023 rear 190/50 from my c14

have 3 trips, ohio, missouri, and smokies in the next 6 weeks or so, i always leave on new tires, trailer, and still use up tires. arkansas usually under 7 days or less, smokies under or about 10 days, i always bring extra tires too. lol i can say without a doubt i am sick of doing tires, lol

hope these roadsmart 3 do well, i have been known to drift the front and rear on the pr4 in the twisties,

Hi Ross,Well, over the last 5 years, its been my experience that the FJR can consume (especially the rear) tire a little faster than some other bikes.

A little heavier than most sport bikes, but with all that torque and sometimes carrying a passenger over distance - just adds up to burning through most tires quicker.

Cheers!
I'm always one-up and not especially aggressive but I have gone through a lot of tires in the past 174,000 miles! I have tried most (although never got into the Avons) and I am always looking for the newest best thing. Currently on Bridgestone T30 GT EVO but the rear tire has been a bit disappointing in terms of lifetime.

Okay. Got a set of RSIII coming. My current Bridgestone T-30GT EVO's might have another thousand miles left in them if I push it (rear is pretty close to dun fer). Will get the RSIII mounted up this week but won't likely get them worn out before the end of this season.

I am liking mine to date, nice soft smooth grippy ride, unknown as to mileage/and the wet stuff as of this time. Did get my 60$ rebate in the mail the other day plus a good price at the shop. I have noticed the comfy ride has me going a little faster than I think I am. Never been a peg dragger but these make leaning easy. Oh yes, little over 2200 miles.I am running the frt at 37psi and the rear at 42psi.
Where are you finding rebates? I checked Revzilla and Jake Wilson....both are $169.95 for rear, no rebate listed.