Picking up my 06 fjr tomorrow....how do i ride it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcompton1973

Reaction score
I posted this in new member area before i realized people are not really reading and answering there. I have never had a bike like this. My current bike an 86 Venture Royale. Before that, a street glide.

So with a higher rpms this bike does...can you give me aome opinions what rpms for shifting and cruising? When i first git my Venture i had to learn it likes 3500-4500 rpms....so 55-60mph is better mpgs in 4th than 5th gear. So just wondering how you giys ride and shift.

Also...i am an old fart. Im not looking for doing wheelies and stuff. Mostly longer rides. Hell....tomorrow my first ride will be almost 500 miles.

up to 3500-4000 things are peaceful and shift where it feels good. Above 4000 with a handful of throttle things start to happen real fast and 100 mph comes and goes with ease. Enjoy
smile.png

Well, the FJR is so powerful with plenty of torque I found I work the shifter much less and the bike doesn't mind at all being short shifted at around 3K RPM. The FJR is so smooth that in the beginning I found myself forgetting to down shift when coming to a stop. I found my 2010 1300A last summer so I haven't had it all that long. At first I liked the seat but after a few miles I have a Russell Day Long on order. I've installed a Cee Bailey windscreen, passenger peg lowering kit, fork brace which wasn't really necessary. new Michelin PR3 tires, and a generation 3 center stand. The generation two center stand is about 5/8" taller than the gen3 stand so the gen3 stand, believe it or not, makes a big difference in effort placing the FJR on the center stand. Oh, I also installed tip over bars front and back.

Took me awhile to get used to the FJR but I have slowly begun to kind of bond with the beast after spending the last 40 years on BMW. I still own a beemer which I'll keep but it's kind of not being ridden much anymore. The FJR is much easier and user friendly for riding around in town which surprised me.

I got to also say that the FJR is much easier to maneuver and do U-turns than my '04 R1150RT (sold) ever was. It feels to me that it has a lower center of gravity than the RT as well. I know the FJR is a heavy girl but to me she feels light or at least lighter than what I was used to. Not as light as my '93 R1100RSL though but the RSL weighs around 120lbs less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be afraid to let it rev, and shift whenever you want. Wheelies are not easily accomplished, so if you do one, it will be on purpose. You'll enjoy it.

I cannot imagine that the FJR will be more top-heavy than the venture. Mine was the old style venture that looked a little bit more like a tall Goldwing. It's a beast on low speeds, but gets real life once you're doing about 5 miles an hour. It's actually riding that bike that made me want to get something even more sporty.

+1 on garauld and hrzilla's comments.

Fjray has it right, there is a docile bike under 4500 rpm, and a rocket that will deliver performance awards with ease over 5000.

Jammess offers some good observations, many find the need for a replacement seat if often doing 4/500+ mile days.

Enjoy.

-Steve

I call it Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde....

Under 4k she is mild... and gas it above 4k and she gets WILD!

Air up the tires as many run them kinda soft, firm up the suspension to feel the road, and she rides like she's on rails.
punk.gif

Temperature should be in the 90s almost my entire ride home. Mostly long flat stretches of Road. What would you put the air pressure at in the front and back?

Yeah, with it in 3rd gear just roll on the throttle and look out or should I say hold on and look out because she gets under way as in RIGHT NOW! I've had mine to 135 mph over in Eastern Oregon and that made a believer out of me. 135 wasn't even close to what she'll do but I don't want to go to jail either.
no.gif

Yup, 41 front and 42 or 3 rear works. The 41 front seems to prevent tire cupping on my beemer. I think 36 front is too low for sure.

Mcompton1973, if you don't need the side bags, pull them off till your used to the bike.

I never used my side bags un-less on a road trip. They feel like you have a small passenger on the bike.

W/O the bags, IMO, the bike is a bit more flickable and easier for slow speed maneuvering.

..can you give me aome opinions what rpms for shifting and cruising?
This engine has a broad and flat torque curve which simply means it pulls hard with very little fanfare. So you'll find you can shift just about anywhere and you'll have plenty of available power. You'll see ;-)

Umm, 1st gear is down, the rest are up. When planning a pass, shift down.

My .02. Oh yeah, and ride the piss out of the thing, it can handle it.

The others have answered your questions and I agree with them. This bike is deceptively fast. If you find yourself on the highway, riding what you feel is "about right" compared to your previous bikes, and you look down to discover (HOLY CRAP!!!) you are doing 100 mph, well..... you won't be the first. And you won't be the last.

I'd enjoy reading about your first impressions after that 500 mile shake down cruise.