Engine and Luggage Guards?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpridesdfw

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a total FJR newbie, have just picked up a 2013 and have a ton of questions. It is a heavy beast though rides like a dream. First order of business is to buy/install something to protect the bike, in event of a tip over. Canyon Cages seem to be very popular though I've noticed some are opting for T-Rex. I suspect it's too much to hope that someone has had both (unless on different bikes) that can offer a direct comparison so I'll ask for input on whatever you've installed. I would be extremely grateful for your thoughts on pros and cons on whatever you have ( or had) on your bike. Looking specifically for things like ease of installation, rugged construction, if you tipped over or dropped how did they protect the bike, can you add foot pegs and most importantly if you had to do it over again would you choose the same solution? I know, lots of questions but as I said......I'm a newbie so hopefully you'll take pity on me! This is a great forum and I'm just hoping to learn from this groups wisdom. Thanks in adavance, Jeff

2012 - had sliders and MC Ent bag guards. Highly recommend MC Ent. Good product, robust build quality, great customer support. Survived going over three times, just a little touch up. The sliders, not impressed, but they did mitigate some frt damage.

2016 - went with T-Rex cages instead of sliders, and MC Ent bag guards again. The tubing sizes dont match, 7/8 vs 1", but I liked the look of the T-Rex product with the slimmer tubing for the front, and didnt really like the look of the T-Rex bag guard with the plastic bumper.

T-Rex is cheaper than Canyon Cages I think. T-Rex and MC Ent products easy to install.

If you go with MC Ent, check their web site and Amazon, the price may not be the same, wasnt for me.

If you ride two up, be sure the bag guard you choose gives you the passenger foot room you need.

If you want hiway pegs on your GenII, consider the MCL product instead of hanging them off the cages. I think you will like them better.

Enjoy the bike.

-Steve

I was worried about looks, durability, and passenger footroom. I went with t-Rex bag guards (they have replaceable alloy bumpers) and they look and feel like they came with the bike. I use simple r&g sliders up front. I had an ass clown bump me and knock me down at very low speed. Between the t-Rex and the r&g, zero damage. Without them, I would have paid a $500 deductible, been without the bike for weeks, and insurance would have raised my rates due to the thousands necessary to repair the bike. I think I had $370 invested front and rear. Paid for itself and then some in one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like two positive nods for T-Rex. I'm not familiar with the MC Ent guards but will certainly check them out. Thanks to both of you for sharing your perspective and lessons learned. Very helpful!!

My 2 cents.. I had Canyon Cages on my '13. A**hat blew through a yield in a round about, totalled my bike, broke 3 ribs, etc. I am 100 percent sure that I not had the tubing I would have had serious damage to my right leg, exactly where his front tire hit me.

Bent in the side of one of the guards, I walked away.

I get the tipover protection, but for me, I will always have CC on my bike.

Sorry to hear about your accident but very encouraging that your CC' s did such a great job of protecting you. In the end, that's actually the most important part!! A personal testament is always hugely impactful. Glad you're okay and thanks for sharing!!

I believe that MC Ent(reprises) makes the Canyon Cages, as well as some other larger crash bars.

I have a set of TRex front and back on my 2014, and have been lucky enough to not have tested them yet, knock on wood. I do like how they look, but that isn't what they are there for. I also mounted some highway pegs on the engine guards, which work well.

I did test a set of no-cut sliders on my 2005 (several times) and they saved the front faring from damage in zero mph drops. The alternator cover and saddlebag lids did not fare as well. Painted the bottom half of the lids with plastidip and they looked presentable again.

Silly question, but do any of the cages interfere with oil or coolant changing access?

The TRex doesn't. But you do need to remove it to take the lower faring panels off. Not needed for an oil or coolant change, or for a clutch service. May need to for the timing chain cover (haven't had to do that yet).

Personally, I think the bag guards and sliders make it easier for the bike to roll over farther when dropped at low speeds -- and that leads to broken mirror stays and crunched fairings.

Don't get 'em.

Is that a guess, or do you have evidence this is true? Just curious.
Will you pay for my faring damage if I remove them and drop my bike?

I'm not taking mine off as I already know what happens when you don't have any.protection.

No calculations, physics diagrams, or the like. Just a half-dozen parking lot drops and zero broken mirror stays, which I will refer to as "field testing".

Fairing and bags get rashed each time (I think, kinda hard to tell now) and the fairing got a small crack when I dropped it in the knee-deep puddle on my first-ever SS1K.

I put tree bag guards on and like them a lot. I will opt for frame sliders in the front. If I really feel the need for a cage I'll drive my car

I bought the MC tall engine guards and the matching bag guards and installed then in less than 30 minutes and I like the way it looks and they have a mounting plate for some more lights! Got them on eBay and they only took two days to get to me. 310.00 for both free shipping.

Russian Gaza engine guards. Like he said, instructions are more like a packing list. They went on easily, with a few parts left over.

Minor quibble... I can't get a funnel in to fill the oil anymore, I had to use a funnel with a hose on the end of it.

left_side_crash_guard.jpg

My pic was taken before I bolted on the slider and the mount bolt.
No, the fairing bumps my shin. I can kinda get a foot on it, but i don't think it would work very long. Plus I'm not a fan of highway pegs, so...

20180505_150927.jpg