1st & 5th disappear in dash indicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamahaha

Reaction score
I have a 2014 ES and while riding the gear indicator for 1st and 5th disappear. 2nd, 3rd, 4th all display, but then I do down to 1st or cruise into 5th the indicator turns off. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and if they were able to correct it.

Not sure exactly what would cause that, and I'm relatively certain it's the same or similar neutral switch as a Gen 2, so first step for me would be to take out the switch and clean the contacts. There's a spring loaded plunger in the shift drum on the other side of the switch, the plunger and switch contacts should be clean (i.e., conductive).

At least that's what I'd hope for, because after that, you may be looking at wiring gremlins.

I had the neutral indicator go on my Gen II. The problem was the switch mentioned by rPGoatBoy. It turned out to be a bad wire going to one of the contact pads that could not be repaired because it was in the "potted" part of the switch. I had to replace the device. I would certainly check the connector to make sure it is plugged in securely - perhaps clean the plug contacts. Also remove switch and clean the "pads" as mentioned above. You can use and ohmmeter to check continuity between the plug and the pads.

Yup, mine started dropping while in 5th awhile back. Once in awhile now in 1st. Everything else, cruise control, the remaining instrumentation etc continues to work as normal. Since I'm looking to address it with my YES, the dealer wants it in "failed" mode. Hard to do when it's intermittent and mostly in 5th gear. So for now I'm living with it. Not a big deal to me, just annoying as it "should" work correctly.

Yup, mine started dropping while in 5th awhile back. Once in awhile now in 1st. Everything else, cruise control, the remaining instrumentation etc continues to work as normal. Since I'm looking to address it with my YES, the dealer wants it in "failed" mode. Hard to do when it's intermittent and mostly in 5th gear. So for now I'm living with it. Not a big deal to me, just annoying as it "should" work correctly.
That's bull shit. Find a new dealer.

Dave

While I agree with that, in this case they seem to be the best of the worst around here. Having a great dealer accessible was one of the few things I gave up when I left Washington State. Still worth it.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2015 ES stopped showing 5th gear about a year ago. Intermittent now.

Discussed it with the dealer who said the gear indicator 'feeler' is down deep in the transmission, and required splitting the engine case to access and repair. "Maybe a week's work," he said. I considered being without the bike for two weeks, all the other things that could get broken or mauled during the takedown and reassembly, and decided to just ride it as-is.

That was probably 20,000 miles ago. Since it isn't a safety issue, I'm not worried about it.

Discussed it with the dealer who said the gear indicator 'feeler' is down deep in the transmission, and required splitting the engine case to access and repair. "Maybe a week's work," he said. I considered being without the bike for two weeks, all the other things that could get broken or mauled during the takedown and reassembly, and decided to just ride it as-is.

That was probably 20,000 miles ago. Since it isn't a safety issue, I'm not worried about it.
That's some bullshit right there. The switch, "indicator 'feeler'", or plunger, as I like to call it, and spring are completely external and accessible. No need to split the engine cases at all.

Tried to search for pictures, and lookey here: Bryan Glynn (forum member, handle escapes me) already did a V-log on this particular problem:

https://twowheelobsession.com/2016/06/19/fix-intermitant-blank-neutral-gear-indicator-display-yamaha-fjr1300/

That's some bullshit right there. The switch, "indicator 'feeler'", or plunger, as I like to call it, and spring are completely external and accessible. No need to split the engine cases at all.

Tried to search for pictures, and lookey here: Bryan Glynn (forum member, handle escapes me) already did a V-log on this particular problem:

https://twowheelobsession.com/2016/06/19/fix-intermitant-blank-neutral-gear-indicator-display-yamaha-fjr1300/
Excellent info.!!! Thank you very much!!

Having it stop working to indicate the gear for first (or fifth) is an annoyance more than a problem. Don't get me wrong, I would still fix it!

When mine went, it was Neutral that did not work so the neutral light didn't come on. Without the neutral indicator showing, the bike didn't "know" it was actually in neutral - even though the LCD display was blank as it should be for a GenII. The potential future loss of the Neutral indicator if the switch continues to degrade would make me fix it sooner rather than later.

While the other gear indicators are for the rider's information, the Neutral is important to one aspect of the bike's function. You can start the bike in neutral without the clutch pulled. So, if you have a problem with a gummed up clutch switch (and I did once), the bike becomes impossible to start without fixing the Neutral or fixing the clutch switch. The engine will then remain in operation after shifting into gear. I got out of the problem by "exercising" the clutch a number of times and cleaned the switch as soon as I got home. Replaced the gear indicator switch pad soon after.

I guess you could make the same comment on the sidestand switch and neutral, but being able to start in neutral with a funky sidestand switch doesn't do you any good because it will quit the instant you shift into any gear.

It'd be a big deal on a car. I don't choose to see any original equipment failure on a sport touring bike any differently. Yamaha took months to fix their problem on my 2014. No loaner. No rental. No hurry whatsoever. Utter apathy. And that was after they confirmed it was a factory defect. I totally, given my experience with Yamaha Y.E.S. and their try-to-dissuade-you-or-outwait-you approach, understand those who try and replace parts on their own. I only have one Yamaha warranty experience, and it was pretty bad. On this one, they'll either fix it without extended dealership time, or I'm starting a fucking website. America. :)

It'd be a big deal on a car. I don't choose to see any original equipment failure on a sport touring bike any differently. Yamaha took months to fix their problem on my 2014. No loaner. No rental. No hurry whatsoever. Utter apathy. And that was after they confirmed it was a factory defect. I totally, given my experience with Yamaha Y.E.S. and their try-to-dissuade-you-or-outwait-you approach, understand those who try and replace parts on their own. I only have one Yamaha warranty experience, and it was pretty bad. On this one, they'll either fix it without extended dealership time, or I'm starting a fucking website. America.
smile.png
It's a big deal only in that it is an unnecessary annoyance. If the dealer isn't willing to help or says it is going to take a long time etc. Just get the part for $40 or so and take 20 minutes to swap it out. Shouldn't be necessary but probably beats dealing with a reluctant dealer.

My FJR is going to Mountain Motorsports for the weekend to get the 52,000 mile maintenance, a new set of Roadsmart 3 tires, AND to clean the gear indicator sensor. Fifth gear is rarely indicated, and now the intermittent indications have 'shifted' to first gear, too. (Get it? "Shifted"?)

I texted Kaelaria's video to the dealership's service manager, who chuckled but said he'd watch it.

I see what you did there... as Ross notes (and I have some experience in the matter) the cost of the part and time to install, in my case, is more palatable than the time it'd take to get it fixed through warranty. Mine is just starting, so I've got a while.