Smell / Hot Engine or Rubber type smell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanny

Reaction score
(I made this post on the wrong forum so I am re-posting...I hope...to the correct forum)

I have a 2014 FJR and when riding or just starting it up and letting it idle a bit I will smell a faint odor like a burnt smell...hot engine or rubber type of smell on the right side around the clutch and water pump area of the bike. This smell goes away shortly after you turn off the engine.

I have ZERO clue what causes this smell and further more, I can't find anyone who does. So, I am turning to the wise knowledge of many minds on this forum to garnish some knowledge as to what is causing this anomaly.

It's not your boots melting on your pipe is it? Make sure you didn't get a stray plastic bag or something stuck to your pipes, up front. It'll smolder for a while and be hard to remove.

Could be any of above. Keep an eye on coolant level in expansion tank. If its low might be coolant.

Always check it either Cold or HOT so you get the same level. On center stand its level that way.

It's normal for an FJR. More prevalent after riding in the rain also. Mine's been doing it since 2008 and others have had the same issue. Now I just ride the dam thing and don't worry about it.

92K on the ODO

Dave

I cannot say it's the same as what you're smelling, but I usually smell a slight odor similar to burning wire insulation as well as the occasional coolant smell, after a bombing run. Bike still running strong at almost 55k.

Thanks again for all the input! The FJR was recently purchased with 16500 miles and I had the oil and coolant changed within 5 days. The bike is extremely clean and since I also had an extended warranty til 2020 with the bike it needed to go thru a Yamaha inspection. I told the tech what it was doing and when I got the bike back, he said it was in excellent condition, no leaks and the felt the smell was nothing but a hot engine. He said FJR's run hot normally. I just can't get over the fact that Yamaha can actually pinpoint this issue, but since I am new to the FJR I was hoping someone here actually knew exactly what this smell is caused from.

I am not a tech person and my initial thought was that maybe not enough oil was getting into that back cylinder and it was causing this smell. Thanks again for all the input!!

I am not a tech person and my initial thought was that maybe not enough oil was getting into that back cylinder and it was causing this smell. Thanks again for all the input!!
Back cylinder? Which one is that on an in-line four?

In terms of smell, it is a little hard to tell what you are referring to without smelling it. Find another owner and sniff each other's bikes to see what's normal. You might look like two dogs meeting each other for the first time but it will probably give you the answer you need.

By the way, I wouldn't suggest that FJRs run especially hot. No more so than any in-line four cylinder fully-faired bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's normal for an FJR. More prevalent after riding in the rain also. Mine's been doing it since 2008 and others have had the same issue. Now I just ride the dam thing and don't worry about it.
92K on the ODO

Dave
Mine always stinks after ride'in in the rain, even after installing a fenda extenda. If ya ride through pine needles, it's smell like burn'in pine needles; purdie cool actually.

Back cylinder? Which one is that on an in-line four?

In terms of smell, it is a little hard to tell what you are referring to without smelling it. Find another owner and sniff each other's bikes to see what's normal. You might look like two dogs meeting each other for the first time but it will probably give you the answer you need.

By the way, I wouldn't suggest that FJRs run especially hot. No more so than any in-line four cylinder fully-faired bike.
If'n the tech said it's OK, it's prolly OK. Dunno why hew said they run hot, that don't sound right?

Thanks Ross
wink.png

132.gif

I am pretty sure that what caused it on my bike was the heel of my shoe burning on my left pipe. I came to that conclusion when I happened to notice a black mark on that part of the pipe though I didn't see much on my shoe. I've been more conscious of this and haven't smelled it since.

As an FYI you can put a Cobra exhaust shield on the pipe so that doesn't happen again. around $23.00 I believe. Worked for me. On another note I took the 2015 up to mount Washington in NH. After paying my fee and getting my sticker we pulled over to add some more clothing before we headed up. As we started heading up the mountain all I could smell was rubber burning. No smoke mind you. We went a little further and I could still smell it. We kept going and it eventually went away. Mind you the bike was not running hot. We had stopped for about 20 minutes prior to going so the bike had to have cooled down somewhat.

I will report we didn't end up in a ball of flames but it was a little disconcerting. Anyway the rest of the trip was fine and we never got a strong rubber burning smell again. This has happened on the 2008 several times also but maybe only once as bad as what the 2015 did in NH. It seems to come and go and rain seems to exacerbate the issue. So I will just hope for the best because no one to my knowledge has come to find the cause.

Good luck,

Dave

May be related (or not), bu during my BWM rider training in Greer SC, the newer R1200 GS also exhibited rubber burning odor during our training day which was done during the all day downpour.

I have occasionally noticed a slight burnt rubber smell on my 06 AE after riding it hard and parking. Have never found the source of it and don't worry about it anymore.

Next time you fill up, purchase a couple of those pine air fresheners and hang them from the mirrors ... you should be fine!