What's this hose?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petri

Reaction score
The (Yamaha authorized) repair shop that put my FJR back together could not figure out where this hose (image below) goes. I could not remember either. Any suggestions?

The inner diameter is ~6mm and the outer is 12 to 13 mm. The length is about 33 cm when bent as shown in picture; probably about 4-5 cm more if straightened.

They claim that it cannot be from the coolant system since the bike runs and is not leaking anything... They also say they had two people trying to figure it out and yet could not find where it belongs. So likely something not obvious.

Unknown hose by Petri Savolainen, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one or two here can decipher how Yamaha comes up with their part numbers. With your measurements you might be able to narrow it down that way.

BUT, in the meantime and being it's Friday I'll play along and take my WAGs.
oneeyedsmiley02.png
You said they had it running? For how long? I'm thinking either coolant or air induction somewhere under the tank. Maybe going to the coolant recovery tank? Also look around at everything connected to the pipe by the thermostat housing.

How about item 33 in this parts fiche? Looks like the radiator expansion pipe to the header tank, wouldn't show a problem until the engine got very hot.

I agree, looks similar to that part #29. I was even able to find a few similar-looking photos using google image search for "FJR coolant hose".

But I do not understand how it could be that there are no coolant leaks.

Could it be possible that if the hose is missing, water would just not flow (out from the holes) in that small part of the coolant circulation - while circulating more or less normally elsewhere?

I drove a few miles today, and the engine heat indicator rose and fell normally, as far as I can tell. But I guess a part far from the sensor might still overheat..?

Also, it seems I am now having idle problems when the engine is hot. The engine tried to stall several times when slowing and stopping to traffic lights. After arriving and idling, I hard to turn idle all the way up to keep it running. Even then, it does barely over 1K RPM, and ultimately stalls.

This , ^^^^ part matches exactly looking at the bends, cover around hose, etc....

That's worrysome...Had a friend with a CBR1000 Hurricane who called me saying he had coolant dripping from somewhere underneath....Few hours later he called saying forget it, the leak stopped...called a few hours later saying his engine had seized....Yeah duh...it ran out of coolant..

Should add that that tough Honda engine would run quite well without any coolant...for a while. We did free up the engine, fix the leak and it was OK after all that..

Does you engine have that hose?

It's part of the water pump / coolant system,

Simply look and see if it's there... Probably partially behind the RS, lower fairing.

Click on the link and re-install it..

https://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2005/FJR1300ABS+-+FJR13AT/WATER+PUMP/parts.html

Re your idle, Yamaha had a re-call on the throttle position sensor (TPS)

on most 04 and some 05 models in the USA. That specifically affected the idle, stalling, etc.

You may want to call Yamaha headquarters, have your vin # ready. It's a free fix.

SOLVED: With the left side fairings removed and tank raised and more or less knowing what to look for, it was fairly easy to see that the coolant hoses shown in this image (bottom right) are missing.

Thank you all, you guys are awesome. The FJR community ROCKS!

fast_idle_01.jpg

Would expect it to be idling too fast. The hot coolant flowing through that wax motor mechanism slows down the idle.

They must have capped off the coolant hose connection ports on the radiator and the coolant manifold above the engine.

Would expect it to be idling too fast. The hot coolant flowing through that wax motor mechanism slows down the idle.
They must have capped off the coolant hose connection ports on the radiator and the coolant manifold above the engine.
His idle is too low, not too fast...

For the Op, has the the idle changed back to normal? Check on that TPS.

With them not replacing that hose, I wouldn't be surprised more "assembly" is screwed up.

You'll likely be doing more digging, checking vacuum lines, open ports, etc...

Was the bike torn down (pulled engine)? (You have to go out of your way to remove that hose & plug openings.. ???)

The cold idle was indeed too fast, between 1500 and 2000 RPM. It only stalled when warm. It sometimes had a bit of that tendency earlier, but it seems as if it has gotten much worse. I'll have to check again (after the cold idle is fixed by connecting coolant hoses properly).

I had a machine shop do some cylinder head work (replaced a bad valve, too) so a lot of stuff was taken apart (by me) before the repair shop put it back together. The engine was not pulled though.

I guess there's a lesson to be learned here, too: it might not be a good idea to take the bike apart yourself and then have the repair shop put it back together. Whoever does the job should do both unless there are good reasons to deviate from that. I did it because I was pressed for time and thought having the repair shop do it would save my time. How wrong I was...
sad.png